Author Topic: Husband and wife with acoustic neuromas!  (Read 10480 times)

Lee Mc

Husband and wife with acoustic neuromas!
« on: June 30, 2010, 09:21:12 am »
My husband (ex-husband now :() was diagnosed with an AN 5 years ago. He had his AN removed surgically and is doing well now. Fast forward 4 years and I was diagnosed with an AN as well. How can we possibly ignore environmental causes when something like this occurs? A friend living 1 street over was also diagnosed with an AN a year before me. 3 people within a block with AN's? Crazy. Anyone else hear of spouses both being diagnosed with AN's? Or neighbors?

Lee

moe

Re: Husband and wife with acoustic neuromas!
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2010, 09:44:44 am »
Lee,
That is very weird. I don't think they have ever proven environmental for these AN's, and very very weird that both you and your ex (sorry about that) both have them.
Statistics say 1 in 100,000!
Crazy like you said.
How big is your AN? Did you have treatment?
 ~At least you have your own little support group going, just have to travel down the road :D
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

Kaybo

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2010, 10:02:53 am »
that is VERY strange - is there a plant nearby causing a higher rate of other yhings, like birth defects?

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Sheryl

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2010, 10:17:32 am »
My husband and I both have brain tumors - his a meningioma and mine a 9th cranial nerve schwannoma (much like an acoustic neuroma but not on the 8th cranial nerve).  I also am a six year breast cancer survivor - luckily the breast and the brain tumors are not related.  I completely agree that there are environmental concerns and where we lived for the past 40 years (Cape Cod) there have been studies and articles written.
Sheryl
9th cranial nerve schwannoma - like an acoustic neuroma on another nerve. Have recently been told it could be acoustic neuroma. Only 7 mm of growth in 18 years. With no symptoms. Continuing W&W

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2010, 11:57:30 am »
Hi Lee .....

Welcome to this forum of caring, supportive friends.

Yes, your situation does sound like an extreme coincidence.  I have not read of any studies done on pinpointing geographic locations of AN patients.  It would be an interesting study.

I think there have been studies showing a confirmed correlation between environmental conditions and cancer.  My mother lived in a farming area where large quantities of pesticides were used (many years ago now) and she and a sister and a brother all died from cancer.   However, ANs are benign so they would not fall into any environmental/cancer studies.

If anyone reads or knows anything about this, share it with us.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

lori67

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2010, 12:24:24 pm »
Hi Lee.

Yours is the first case of an ex-hubby/wife both having ANs.  Nice to be unique, huh?  I don't worry about my ex-husband getting an AN because I'm pretty sure he doesn't have a brain anyway!   :D  Sorry, couldn't resist that one!

Back on topic - my surgeon told me he had 3 AN patients that all lived in the same apartment building.  I don't think I'd be moving in to that place!

I guess it's just another one of those mysteries about ANs that haven't quite been figured out yet.  Hopefully soon, someone will have some answers.

Hope you are doing well!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

DR

• Dennis vs. The Tumor
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2010, 01:52:44 pm »
Wow, that is a new one to me, Lee!  I thought it was unusual that I know of two other people in my hometown with AN's, but three people within one block is incredible.  I agree with Kay, I would be checking into other reported health issues for that area.

- Dennis
AN right side 12mm x 9mm x 9mm
Middle fossa surgery 11/4/09 at House (Dr. Brackmann/Dr. Schwartz)
Tumor removed, no facial issues, hearing intact!
http://denvstumor.blogspot.com/

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist."

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2010, 02:33:37 pm »
Lee ~

I have no idea what caused the genetic mutation that produced your ex-husband's AN - or yours - and I haven't read/heard about this happening on any kind of regular basis.       

The issue of environmentally-caused cancers (or benign tumors) has been around a long time.  Over the years, I've seen a host of things branded as 'causing' tumors both benign and malignant.  Some are purely speculative but some are later proven carcinogens.  Lately, cell phones have been targeted by some as a potential cause of cancer and, specifically, acoustic neuromas.  I'm a firm skeptic on that one but there is no doubt that our environment often can (and does) increase our chances of developing tumors, be they benign or malignant.   The problem is that, too often, with these suspected environmental dangers, we never seem to know for a fact what is actually dangerous and what just seems to be suspect due to weird, admittedly dubious coincidences.  It's frustrating.  We can't live in a cocoon and yet, no one wants to take unnecessary, avoidable risks, especially where tumors are concerned.  Unfortunately, I don't have a solution but the question is certainly germane.  Frankly, in your case, moving to another neighborhood might be a prudent course of action.

Jim

4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Lizard

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2010, 08:14:11 pm »
Wow this is the first time I've heard of a husband (ex) and wife both having AN's, that's wild.  Environmental?  Interesting...I'm pondering  :)
Welcome to the forum and sorry an AN brought you too us, but here we are all sharing our journeys together.
Take care,
Liz
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2010, 04:15:31 am »
Hi Lee and welcome

In this thread (http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=7803.0) you will read about a trip I did to a small village in England (where my in-laws live) where I met.....*drumroll please*... a husband/wife AN couple. She had AN surgical removal a few years before our trip there, he was in "Watch/Wait" (at the time... I don't believe he's been treated yet).  I had a picture of us posted in that thread but not sure what happened.  They have lived in the small village for quite some time and for them, we were not able to figure a "trigger" for the spousal AN growths (ie: environment, etc).  For them, just a fluke.

Again, welcome.
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2010, 09:44:43 am »
I have often questioned the "environmental" component
 :-\

Sam Rush posted this weird one about his dog... :-\

http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=7870.0

DHM
4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2010, 09:58:24 am »
  I don't worry about my ex-husband getting an AN because I'm pretty sure he doesn't have a brain anyway!   :D  Sorry, couldn't resist that one!

OMG Lori  :D :D :D :D You are so hilarious!!!  :D :D :D :D :D :D

DHM
4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

Lee Mc

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2010, 12:50:18 pm »
Wow!! Thank you all for your replies!! I did end up moving from the area due to the divorce. My ex is still in the same town, but I moved 20 miles away not knowing at that point that I was going to be diagnosed with the same health problem shortly after. There is a copier company nearby, approx 2 miles away, but I haven't heard about other health problems in the immediate area. I do know that before the builder bought the land that it was once used as an apple and peach tree orchard. I did wonder about all the pesticides. I thought there would be more husband/wives out there with AN's. I'll give the thread some more time for posts. ~~Lee

nteeman

• Back to Mono
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2010, 01:30:03 pm »
Well, I am not a mathamatician nor profess to be an expert on Randomness, BUT having read some books about randomness, and if ANs are random THEN clusters of occurrences of ANs would be considered perfectly normal.  In fact, if ANs are random, the lack of clusters of occurrences would be abnormal.

Neal
Diagnosed 12/16/2008
AN 2.4 X 2.0 X 1.6 CM
surgery performed on 1/27/2009 Mt. Sinai Hospital, NYC
Dr.Bederson & Dr. Smouha
9:30am thru 5:50pm
http://www.facebook.com/neal.teeman

Sam Rush

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2010, 02:05:20 pm »
Back to my dog.   Daisy continued walking funny and lost most of her hearing.  She finally was put to sleep after her arthritis became untreatable and she couldn't get up. An autopsy was NOT done., so the vet's diagnosis was never proven, and I never did pay for an MRI.
1 cm AN translab, Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Schwartz, Dr Doherety HEI   11/04   Baha 7/05