Author Topic: finally happy with recovery  (Read 1991 times)

painter

finally happy with recovery
« on: July 02, 2010, 09:35:24 pm »
I had my 6 month MRI and all looked good.  It's amazing how a good report from the neurosurgeon can make all the paranoia subside.  All the symptoms that I thought could be related to another CSF leak don't seem so bothersome anymore.  My biggest problem was the wonky head, but I went to the Tinitus Clinic at OHSU and they wanted me to try DiazaPam ( a form of valium).  Reluctant at first, I finally filled the prescription, and within a few hours I noticed my wonky head was much better.  That was like having a new lease on life.  Being careful with the whole addiction thing, I found that the tinnitus and hyper acousis was getting better also.  What this has done for me is put me back on the track of feeling better all around so that I my recovery is going ahead at a faster rate.  I feel stronger, more alert, and concentrating on my daily work and life rather than all the things I felt were wrong with me.  So at six months, after two brain surgeries and a massive blood clot I feel almost as well as before I had surgery.  So where there was despair and depression, there is now a new feeling of hope and planning for the future again.  It's all in what works for the individual, but my point is, never give up hope that things will return to normal, it just takes awhile.  What I thought would take six months I am now okay with realizing it could be a year to a year and a half.  But it does get better.   I even rode a horse again last week.  That meant a lot to me.  I now know that in another year I'll be that much stronger and back to normal.  All of you that feel frustrated and despair, please keep the faith.  You will get at least close to normal again. 
Best Regards,
Tom

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: finally happy with recovery
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2010, 10:26:56 pm »
Tom ~

Congratulations on the decided upswing in your long-term recovery!  I also appreciate your hard-won advice on perseverance.  Your AN experience was definitely arduous but the fact that your MRI was 'clean' and you've got a handle on your deficits is heartening to read.  Thank you for sharing your good news, your optimism and your encouragement with others who may well benefit from your experience.

Jim 
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

sues1953

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2010, 07:59:23 am »
Hi Tom.

Thanks for your post  :)  Its great for the new posties to read.  I know I have to be patient with my recovery and reading posts like yours is truely a help.

Sue
3.2 cm AN Right side diagnosed 12/4/09
Translab surgery May 2010 with Dr. Jack Kartush and Daniel Pieper at Michigan Ear Institute.
Successful surgery .5mm left on facial nerve.  Full facial movement. SSD, Tinnitis, tongue and lip numbness.  No headaches.  Back to living life.

moe

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2010, 09:51:45 am »
Tom,

Love the positive post and I hope others read this and just keep persevering like you!

I can especially relate to your line:

I feel stronger, more alert, and concentrating on my daily work and life rather than all the things I felt were wrong with me

I know how distracting it is to worry about all the things that are wrong and just not being able to "get on with it". I'm a slow work in progress! I also have tinnitus which is probably the worst symptom. Taking xanax which helps a little, so interesting to hear about the valium. So glad it is helping with the wonkyness too.

Keep up the positive attitude. Life after an AN is like a little roller coaster for some. Good days, bad days, in between days.... ??? Go with the flow...
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

Doc

• “Shake off the BooHoo and get with the program”
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2010, 10:36:41 am »
Stay positive Tom...good things happen to good people!

Take Care!
  ;)
Doc
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 10:43:31 am by Doc »
Left-Translab July '09. Cyberknife Jan 2010. In Apr 2017, four more tumors found; three in the brain and one, 7cm long, on my spinal cord; it was surgically removed. It was cancerous, and so are the others. I've been receiving Chemo since June '18, and I'm still in treatment.

Tod

• My blog (work and life)
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2010, 06:19:48 pm »
Congratulations on the new phase in your recovery! Having a positive outlook can make an incredible difference in your ongoing recovery.

A friend gave me good advice early on: focus on the several thousand little things you can do, not the dozens of things you can't currently do.

Be well.

Tod
Bob the tumor: 4.4cm x 3.9cm x 4.1 cm.
Trans-Lab and Retro-sigmoid at MCV on 2/12/2010.

Removed 90-95% in a 32 hour surgery. Two weeks in ICU.  SSD Left.

http://randomdatablog.com

BAHA implant 1/25/11.

28 Sessions of FSR @ MCV ended 2/9/12.