Author Topic: Too much saliva  (Read 3577 times)

Karen

Too much saliva
« on: May 12, 2006, 05:50:19 pm »
Has anyone had trouble with too much saliva in their mouth?  I had the 12/7 nerve graft done and have a weak tongue.  I have trouble with saliva building up since I can't move my tongue like I used to.  But yet my lips are always chapped and dry.  Also I have started facial retraining with Jackie Diels.  I highly recommend her, she is such a help.  My surgery was 2 1/2 years ago.  Any ideas?  Karen
Karen
     Surgery 12-17-03, nerve graft 1-04, 3.5 cm, facial paralysis, numbness and no hearing in left ear

Battyp

Re: Too much saliva
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2006, 07:08:56 pm »
HI Karen,
  I have facial numbness...I have bouts of too much saliva.  It seems I either have dry mouth or can't swallow fast enough.  I haven't figured out the why yet!

thecakes

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2006, 04:28:40 pm »
   I have a dry mouth constantly.  I always complain about this but actually over time my suliva is returning but I always have that dry taste.

Rc Moser

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2006, 10:12:50 pm »
I was told when the tumor was removed they had to peal it off the nerves like pulling a band aid off. They said this causes the nerves that control certain functions to go wacky for awhile. They said the 8th nerve is usually stretched very thin depending on how big the tumor are. This the reason IMO we all experience the dry eye. Look up what nerve covers the saliva and I bet that nerve is still going wacky. Should get better IMO if no permanent damage was occurred.
9/17/03, 4.5CM, Translab, OU Medical Center, Dr. (the ear man) Saunders and Dr. B. (the BrainMAN) Wilson  along with about 4 other Doctors that keep me going for 18 hours.

Mary 117

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2006, 08:03:59 am »
Another question along this same thread, did the too much saliva come on suddenly? I've had a terrible headache for about a week, the nausea started yesterday then this morning the right side of my mouth feels like it is burning and it's producing saliva way too fast. I've had some right sided weakness that has gotten better over time. Any one else have this happen. I see the neurologist on friday for a 1 year check-up.
Mary
May 24, 2005
2 x 1.7 AN
House ear clinic
2cm x 1.5cm AN, Middle Fossa, Dr. Brackmann  05/24/05
Mild hearing loss, mild facial weakness, no balance issues

"well behaved women seldom make history"

FlyersFan68

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2006, 08:46:25 am »
I experienced something simular on and off during the first year following surgery. On occasion, I purchased an over the counter medication called Mucinex which really helped. The stuff is expensive but works good. This problem subsided and has been quite some time since I took these pills. I cannot say for sure if this went away on it's own or if the medicine helped to regulate things better.

RattieLady

• Ourplaceourspace
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2006, 04:47:39 pm »
After i had the AN removed from the right side along with another tumour and the facial nerve i start getting bouts of too much saliva. I kind of get used to it in the daytime but at night when the bout comes it's like sleeping in a swamp. LOL. After the reconstructive surgery to conect the facial nerve up to my tongue nerve it has slowed down a bit. I can have a dry night sleeps. Bet now i've wrote this i'll be sleeping in a swamp tonight! Lol. Jokes aside, it's not a nice thing to put up with.
NF2 diagnosed in October 2002.
5 operations since Jan 2004.One was an emergancy tumor removal.