Author Topic: New member looking for accomodation for surgery  (Read 1776 times)

iyum

New member looking for accomodation for surgery
« on: July 14, 2010, 07:54:44 am »
HI,

I am new here and my father has been recently diagnosed with AN and the size of his tumor is 4cm. I have researched many options I have been speaking to a neurosurgeon in Italy and also HEI. These discussion groups have helped me tremendously in deciding the best place for surgery. I have looked into many options and I have decided to get the surgery done from Dr. Friedman at HEI. He claims they are the best surgeons to preserve the facial nerve after the surgery. They will be doing the translab approach. All of this is very overwhelming as we just found about my father over a month ago.

I have not booked a date for the surgery as of yet as I am still trying to negotiate a reasonable price with HEI. I am looking into mid August to finalize everything. I am finding it difficult to locate a suitable place around the hospital to stay at. If anyone has any suggestions where they might have stayed, please advise. My mother cannot walk much and I am looking for a convenient place. I have read some reviews online on nearby hotels but people are suggesting that its a high crime area? I currently live in middle east and will be flying 20+ hr for the surgery. Any help regarding the accomodation and feedback regarding the surgery will help.

Thank you,
Mariyam

Brookes

Re: New member looking for accomodation for surgery
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 09:29:35 am »
I live in Los Angeles.  That neighborhood isn't great.  Just as importantly, the few hotels in the immediate area are not good choices.  Your best option may be the Seton Guest Center.  HEI performs its surgeries at St. Vincent Medical Center which is across the street from HEI.  And the Seton Guest Center is actually ON the St. Vincent campus.  Check out the link.  If you don't stay there your next option would be to stay in one of the hotels Downtown, about a mile away.  There are many hotels there, ranging from moderate to luxury (I can give you names if you'd like) but they certainly would require using a car or taxis/shuttles.

JerseyGirl2

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 10:34:59 am »
The Seton Guest Center (see the link to website in post prior to this one) is fine. It's not luxurious by any means (believe it had originally served as a dorm for the now defunct St. Vincent's Nursing School), but is certainly adequate. The close proximity to House and St. Vincent's is a huge plus. I live in New Jersey and had AN surgery at House in January 2008; my husband and I stayed at Seton the entire two weeks (though we spent the last night at one of the LAX hotels since we had a very early morning flight out of L.A. back to the East Coast) and were very comfortable there. It's good to be around other folks who're going through the same thing! We also rented a car equipped with a GPS  --  much more convenient than taking cabs everywhere and the parking at the hospital was very inexpensive.

Best wishes -- your father will be in wonderful hands at House!

Catherine (JerseyGirl 2)
Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

iyum

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2010, 12:37:37 pm »
Thank you for your prompt response. I have called Seton House to get rates. Appreciate all your help.

Also, did any of you face any issues traveling after the surgery.

Thank you again for all the support.

JerseyGirl2

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2010, 03:00:29 pm »
I flew ten days after my translab surgery from L.A. to the East Coast and had no problems. "Ten days after surgery" is the standard time frame for flying at House, but they won't release the patient until he/she is ready to go. I did upgrade to first class for that flight and felt that the extra space, quieter surroundings, and ability to go through the first class security check at LAX (there was no waiting in line) made for a more relaxing flight.

Catherine (JerseyGirl 2)
Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

opp2

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2010, 05:19:08 pm »
I didn't fly home yet, but we did book first class for the flight for the way home and waited the full 20 days though my doctor didn't say too. Best wishes Mariyam. Sorry I wasn't much help to you before. Our timing was just out of sync. I hope your father is holding up well.
Diagn Apr 14 2009 with 2.5 cm lt AN. - numbness in the face and sudden onset headaches accompanied by balance issues. Consults with Drs in S Ontario, California (House) and Vancouver. Picked Dr. Akagami in BC.
Retrosigmoid July 6, 2010, 3.0cm by then. SSD left, no other significant side effects.