Author Topic: Choosing a Neurosurgeon  (Read 3052 times)

grega

Choosing a Neurosurgeon
« on: July 15, 2010, 09:15:28 am »
Hi all,

The following link refers to Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore again being chosen top hospital by US News & World Report in many catagories, including Neurology and Neurosurgery.  I bring this up not to tout JHH or any particular doctors, but to let you know that the article contains a short podcast by Dr. Henry Brem (my AN surgeon), explaining the importance of choosing the right neurosurgeon.  This might help anyone newly diagnosed, as some have recently posted, and who are wondering, "What do I do now, and where do I go for answers and support?"

Main link .... click on Neurology and Neurosurgery

http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/usnews/

On that main page, click on How to Choose a Neurosurgeon.

Please pass this on to anyone you think it might help.

Greg  :)
1.5 cm AN retrosig 11/04.
Drs. Henry Brem & Michael Holliday @ Johns Hopkins, Baltimore
SSD right. Tinnitus big-time, only when thinking of it.
BAHA since 7/20/10 ... really helps w/ hearing, specially after programming in subliminal message: "Hey, don't listen to your tinnitus!"

suboo73

Re: Choosing a Neurosurgeon
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2010, 05:37:38 am »
Hi Greg! 

Thank you for posting this link.  I listened to the podcast and it was very informative.
Being in the greater DC area, it did not initially occur to me that i might need a specialized center such as Johns Hopkins - mainly due to a long duration of misdiagnosis.

My concern in the future, is treatment and follow-up care.  In particular, it was good to here Dr. Brem address follow-up care in his podcast.
I am also happy to see that Hopkins is constantly updating its information on the web, since this is where many people go today to at least get a definition of a particular condition.

I am sure this information will help many in the future.

THANKS!

Sue

suboo73
Little sister to Bigsister!
9mm X 6mm X 5mm
Misdiagnosed 12+ years?
Diagnosed Sept. 2008/MRI 4/09/MRI 12/09/MRI 1/21/11
Continued W & W

grega

Re: Choosing a Neurosurgeon
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2010, 11:36:32 am »
Hi Sue,

Yep, very informative.... I've never been disappointed in viewing JHH's website.  Glad you enjoyed hearing Dr. Brem.

BTW, last year sometime, Keri and I touched on the possibility of getting those in the mid-Atlantic region together to meet somewhere .... like the New Englanders and Northwesteners do from time-to-time.  Keep it in mind for further discussion.

Keep  ;D -ing!

Greg
1.5 cm AN retrosig 11/04.
Drs. Henry Brem & Michael Holliday @ Johns Hopkins, Baltimore
SSD right. Tinnitus big-time, only when thinking of it.
BAHA since 7/20/10 ... really helps w/ hearing, specially after programming in subliminal message: "Hey, don't listen to your tinnitus!"