Author Topic: coughing  (Read 2757 times)

joycebaskin

coughing
« on: July 16, 2010, 08:35:25 pm »
I wanted ro know if anyone has experienced alot of coughing after surgery  I have been complaining to docs. for 3 yrs. now and they say nothing    I was able to rellieve some of it with cough syrup but it is getting worst and this is not helping I cough so hard that I gag and my head hurts and i can't see straight just wondering if anyone else has any in put into this problem 

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: coughing
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2010, 12:39:10 pm »
Joyce ~

I'm not aware of post-op AN patients experiencing coughing incidents on a regular basis, as you do.  However, I'm not a doctor so I can only speculate that your cough is not directly related to the AN but perhaps some other medical issue, i.e. lung-related.  You may want to consider consulting a different PCP (Primary Care Physician) for an examination, focusing on the cause of your coughing.  It's obvious that your current physicians aren't interested in pursuing this with you.  It may not be important but a persistent cough (for 3 years) doesn't seem like something that is normal.  Please have it checked out and let us know the result.  Thanks.

Jim

4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Tod

• My blog (work and life)
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2010, 03:58:08 pm »
Joyce, I cough every day. Often quite badly. However, I have a paralyzed vocal cord. If you don't suffer from the same, it seems very unusual from what I have read, so I would follow Jim's good advice.

-Tod
Bob the tumor: 4.4cm x 3.9cm x 4.1 cm.
Trans-Lab and Retro-sigmoid at MCV on 2/12/2010.

Removed 90-95% in a 32 hour surgery. Two weeks in ICU.  SSD Left.

http://randomdatablog.com

BAHA implant 1/25/11.

28 Sessions of FSR @ MCV ended 2/9/12.

Cheryl R

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2010, 05:18:12 pm »
Some heart and BP meds can cause a chronic cough.  Post nasal drip is also another possibility.   Acid reflux and heartburn is another cause.         Any asthma or chronic lung issues?             Drs should be trying to be of help or refer you to someone who might be!
Pretty bad when a dr won't listen and that happens so much and I think more so if the pt is a woman!
               It is very annoying to have a frequent cough.                         Cheryl R

Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

Brewers7

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2010, 07:43:53 pm »
Joyce, I have regular coughing spells; however, I had 1/2 of my vocal cord paralyzed during surgery.  I am sure that you would know about something like that.  Sometime Zyrtec helps me.  Also, I keep water for constant small sips.  Keep me posted.  Susan
Translab surgery 12/15/2008 followed by CSF leakage repair and 3 additional surgeries for MRSA of the brain (NOT typical) SSD,  facial and vocal cord paralysis, numerous reconstructive surgeries, Transear 12/2010

stevecms

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2010, 02:00:17 pm »
Hi Joyce,since sugery i do get  a dry cough but it has got better as time goes on.I hope you see some improvement. :)steve
4 cm acc neuroma 99.9% removed queen elizabeth hospital 6 sept 09 by dr walsh.thought it was trigeminal neuralga,lots of facial pain for 18mths,now deaf on rh side little taste and ear pressure.13 hour surgery.

Kaybee

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2010, 07:18:37 pm »
Joyce, I had a lot of coughing post surgery.  It has gotten much much better.  My doc presumed the cough to be from acid reflux and prescribed prilosec which seemed to help.  You might consider asking your doctor about this. 
2 x 3 x 4 cm tumor removed at Methodist Hospital in Indianapolis 10/30/09
Left facial paralyis/SSD (showed first signs of improvement at approximately 6 months post-op)

OTO

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2010, 09:42:20 pm »
My uneducated theory.... Post-surgery...  I have some facial weakness (not really noticeable but I feel it).   The sinus (nostril) on that side always feels plugged because of the facial weakness.    Since my surgery I seem to get more sinus colds than before, and with the sinus problems I get a dry hacking cough.   I think???  because of the facial weekness, the sinus gets clogged easier which turns into a sinus cold which cause post-nasal drip which causes the cough...     My solution when I feel the clogged sinus acting up, I sleep with those Breathe Right strips, and use a lot of saline nasal sprays to try and keep my sinus moist and clear....    then I don't seem to get as bad a cough.   Then I have a scotch before I go to bed... no problems....