Author Topic: Lip Reading  (Read 4395 times)

Huber920

• Buckeye Country Art
Lip Reading
« on: July 27, 2010, 12:42:56 pm »
Hello AN friends!
   I have definately been able to tell a difference in my ability to follow a conversation in noisy situations since my last surgery in which my hearing on the AN side went from 20% to zero. Granted 20% wasn't much, but I do notice a difference. I am thinking of finding some Lip Reading classes to assist me in noisy situations. I mean, why should it only be used as an option for those who are completely deaf, right? If it can help us understand someone, then I'm all for it. Does anyone know of any classes in Ohio? I know there are online classes and sources, but there's nothing like one-on-one learning. So I can interact with the teacher. Let me know if you know of any or if any of you have had experience with lip reading. Any info is helpful.

Nate
05 - Cholesteatoma removed (2 surgeries)
03/07 - Diagnosed 3mm AN
06/07 - Middle Cranial Fossa approach to remove (failed extraction)
03/10 - MRI showed growth to 7mm
06/10 - June 9th surgery on the way

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Lip Reading
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 02:32:42 pm »
I really don't know much about lip reading - or about classes in Ohio, either.

Have you done a web search?  I bet it would turn up something.

Good luck,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

phx

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2010, 09:03:25 pm »
I didn't know there were classes on lip reading! I would take one. Now that you've mentioned it, I think I'm going to look for some classes. I'm in school and so sometimes I need to work in groups. It's hard trying to catch what everyone is saying. I don't want to tell people that I have no hearing in one ear though, so an option would be to learn to lip read, that way I don't always have to be asking them to repeat what they've just said. I can tell it gets annoying after a while. Thanks!

Lizard

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2010, 08:45:29 am »
I try to read lips but am horrble at it...wonder if there are any classes arioud me.  Thanks for sparking my interest, and hopefully you find a class in your area.
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

lori67

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2010, 10:22:31 am »
When I lived in Nashville, the League for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing offered lip reading classes.   I'm sure other areas have them as well.

A good place to start looking would be the public library.  Also, some churches have a Deaf ministry that might be able to help you find something.

I'm able to do it a bit, but I think statistics say that you can only pick up 20% of a conversation by reading lips, so you'll still be saying "huh?" quite a bit.  But, every little bit helps!

Good luck!
Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2010, 06:56:27 am »
I tell everyone I cannot "hear" them unless I have my glasses on!  8)  hence, my lip reading efforts to "hear" what is being said!

I would try an online search for your local disabilities counsel that may offer information for the hearing-impaired.

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

dalern

• My glass is always half full
    • www.dalebarnesrn.com
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2010, 10:35:10 am »
I found that over time, I just naturally learned to read lips in noisy environments.  Having SSD for almost 12 years, I accommodated pretty well.  That's fine if you are face to face with someone in a noisy environment, but as soon as they turn their head, it's gone.  I am sure that most communities have associations for the deaf and hard of hearing.  I would search those out and start there.
~Dale
Dale Barnes, RN, MSN, CLNC
Tarzana, CA
1998 Sudden Onset Idiopathic Sensorineural  hearing loss diagnosed at House Ear Institute, Los Angeles
BAHA June 30, 2010 Dr. Jeffrey Harris UCSD San Diego

nicoledc109

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2010, 02:31:16 am »
When I lived in Nashville, the League for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing offered lip reading classes.   I'm sure other areas have them as well.

A good place to start looking would be the public library.  Also, some churches have a Deaf ministry that might be able to help you find something.

I'm able to do it a bit, but I think statistics say that you can only pick up 20% of a conversation by reading lips, so you'll still be saying "huh?" quite a bit.  But, every little bit helps!

Good luck!
Lori
Thanks for sharing.

hendi51

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2010, 05:06:33 pm »
Nate, my husband was diagnosed with a small AN in 2007. He has completely lost the hearing in his left ear. His tumor at this time is 1.5 cm x 1.3 cm and he will have the surgery soon, we hope. Everytime the doctor speaks of surgery his heart acts up. Being SSD he has learned to read lips by himself. The only problem he has is if a person has a moustache or no teeth!
My husband had translab 3/15/2011 for 1.5 cm x 1.5 cm left side AN at
Methodist University Hospital in
Memphis, Tn

lori67

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2010, 07:22:42 pm »
Hendi -

That's a good point!  Never thought about the no teeth thing!  I got a good laugh out of thinking about it though!   ;D

Hope your husband is able to get his surgery scheduled soon so that part can be over and done with.

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.