Author Topic: CSF LEAK  (Read 3300 times)

SamaraHasbrouck

CSF LEAK
« on: August 11, 2010, 09:40:11 pm »
Hello everyone ;D I am a new member and this is my first post. I had my AN surgery on July 23, 2010. I had a successful removal of the entire 1.4 cm tumor and no damage to my facial nerve. That was my major concern. However, the same day I was discharged from the hospital, I noticed a clear fluid leaking from my right nostril. Being a nurse, I recognized right away what this was. I hoped it would stop by my 2 week follow up with my surgeon, but it did not. This all occurred this past Monday. I am scheduled for a second surgery to fix the leak this coming Tuesday, August 17th. I was so upset and discouraged. I did allot of internet research regarding CSF leaks, and I found the most accurate and helpful information right here in this forum. I have read everyones stories about their experience, and it has helped to set me more at ease. There is so much wonderful information and inspiration in the stories you all share here. I wanted to say "thanks" to all of you, and I will continue to be an active part of this forum from this point forward. This is the perfect time for any of you to share some more stories  and words of wisdom! Thanks again to you all!
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 09:45:28 pm by SamaraHasbrouck »

staypoz

Re: CSF LEAK
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2010, 01:46:53 pm »
I developed a CSF leak a couple of days post-op and the surgery was a breeze compared to the original surgery.  I'm sorry you have to go back to have the leak repaired and I hope your experience will be as uneventful as mine was.  Good luck to you and keep us posted! 

staypoz

iluuvpups

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2010, 02:10:18 pm »
Good luck on your CSF leak surgery!
Original 1.75cm left-side AN diagnosed Feb 2010
Translab surgery May 27, 2010 with Drs. Kartush and Pieper of MEI
SSD on left side, some facial weakness, tear duct doesn't work
Found I actually had a facial neuroma during translab
Remaining 6mm facial neuroma - watch and wait

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2010, 03:47:03 pm »
SamaraHasbrouck ~

Hi - and welcome.!  Thanks for posting and congratulations on your successful surgery.  I trust the CSF leak can be easily fixed.  Keep us informed.  Thanks.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

kiwi

• Facebook
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2010, 06:03:06 pm »
Good Luck Samara

I had surgery two months after my original surgery, I spent one month with fluid leaking out of my nose too.....and the longer they left it the worse it got so I'm glad you're having surgery even though it feels like the biggest kick in the guts and a huge setback to your healing.  As others have said the CSF leak is a breeze compared to the main AN surgery.  Mine was only 4 hours compared to my orignal 10 hour stint.  I was out of hospital the very next day after surgery and back on track.  I hope your healing goes as well as mine has....

Jacqui
3.6cm AN Left side diagnosed Dec 09.
Translab surgery 16th March 2010
Left SSD, Facial Paralysis
CSF Leak surgery 11th May 2010

turbomom

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2010, 09:44:40 pm »
Hi Samara,
I to had a CSF leak. Mine started about one week post surgery. The fluid would drip from my left nostril when I would lean over to eat or brush my teeth. I knew what was going on and waited about five days before calling the neurosurgeon in hopes that it would stop. But alas, it did not. My neurosurgeoan suggested inserting a lumbar drain, and draining 10 cc of fluid per hour to relieve the pressure on the suture and give it time to close up. So that is what I went with, not knowing it would be for 7 days.
10cc's of fluid per hour for seven days was miserable!  To be honest I thought it was worse than surgery. However, it did fix the problem. I was not too keen on going back into the brain therefore I elected the lumbar drain.
I wish you luck stopping your leak and if you  have any questions, I'll be glad to answer them.
Lisa

tinnitus, mild hearing loss, occasional light-headiness, rare imbalance. Diagnosed on 07/09; 14x9x8mm intra and extra canalicular of left ear. Repeat MRI on 1/15/10...waiting for radiologist to read, but on quick review little growth shown.

yosemitesam

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2010, 12:20:42 pm »
Sorry to read about your leak and hope you are feeling well.
I had surgery originally in 2007 and had a leak from my left nostril after the first surgery. Back then I wound up having 3 surgeries related to
the leak plus meningitis. Today is 10/25/2010 and I just developed a new leak and had surgery last week. That was a real bummer after 3 years.
I am at home recovering from surgery and all is well for now. Good luck and take care!   ;D
3 surgery girl
multiple CSF leaks
Emory Hospital

kmancini

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2010, 12:32:02 pm »
I had my AN removed April 2008 and ended up with a leak and had 2 lumbar drains and 5 different surgeries to correct the leaks.  They said I was very porous inside.  So far no more leaks.
Good luck to you. 

Karen
An surgery 4-8-08
lumbar drain 4-22-08
csf leak repair 5-30-08 7-11-08 10-6 -08and 10-24-08
BAHA on 10-24-08
university hosp in Cleveland
Dr Megarian and Dr Selman

Lizard

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2010, 02:56:00 pm »
Leaky here too after sugery, but it was fixed with a second surgery that landed me in the hospital for another 5 days , but after that no more drippy  ;)
Good luck with your surgery,
Liz
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

Suebedo

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2010, 08:20:30 am »
I also had a leak but immediately after surgery. My fluid came out my ear, a mix of fluid and slight blood. I had a lumbar pump for three days (10cc an hour is a lot!) and two more days of little movement to heal the puncture. Now three weeks later and no more leaks!  Very grateful...
Diagnosed with AN June 10, 2009. Mid fossa surgery 9/30/10 at University of MN. Tumor over an inch at that time. CSF leak after surgery. Eight years later, regrowth. Starting the decisions all over again.