Author Topic: Hello there...  (Read 4886 times)

PJ

Hello there...
« on: August 14, 2010, 06:21:31 pm »
Hey all.  First of all, I'd like to say that there is a place to go to share stories, information, or just vent.

I'm in the military and am going through my tech school and am 2800 miles from my wife and kids  :'(.  We had to have a baseline hearing test and that didn't go so well.  Went through some more tests with the audiologist, and again, not so hot.  Went to the ENT and he immediately set me up for an MRI which I had yesterday.  Still waiting for results.

Any how...I am here more to vent/establish communication, just in case I need some 'support' or information.

Also, I am in Pensacola, FL if anyone has info on surgeons in the area.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2010, 06:27:56 pm by PJ »

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: Hello there...
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2010, 06:42:13 pm »
Hi PJ and welcome..... well, my first comment would be... lets see if the MRI shows anything.  As you may be doing homework and stumbled upon us here.... lets see what the docs say about the MRI.  I know watiing over a weekend stinks (been there, done it... waited for test results over a weekend.... worse thing possible).  Once you know the MRI results, then you know how to proceed. Please let us know what is found or not found so we can support accordingly.

Hang in there... good luck with tech school (btw, I work for the AF, but not military) and sending good vibes that the MRI finds nothing that shouldn't be there!

Hang in there!
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

moe

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2010, 06:50:47 pm »
Hi PJ
This is definitely the place  to come, glad you found us. Was your hearing test part of the tech school routine? And did the ENT give any indication that you might have an AN?

You must be worried as heck, hopefully it isn't an AN or if it is, it's a small one. Any symptoms???

Let us know what the results are. I'm sure it's hard being away from your wife and kids with this. I had somewhat of the same scenario with my husband being a couple of thousand miles away when I found out about mine.  So the feeling of isolation is definitely strong.

Like  I said, hopefully nothing, but we're here if you need us :)
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

opp2

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2010, 07:18:57 pm »
Sorry to hear you are going through all this away from family and friends. It's tough enough to know something isn't right, and to have to have testing, and to wait for results. There isn't one of us on here who hasn't been through it. I hope you don't have an AN. I really do. All the best.

Nikki
Diagn Apr 14 2009 with 2.5 cm lt AN. - numbness in the face and sudden onset headaches accompanied by balance issues. Consults with Drs in S Ontario, California (House) and Vancouver. Picked Dr. Akagami in BC.
Retrosigmoid July 6, 2010, 3.0cm by then. SSD left, no other significant side effects.

PJ

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2010, 07:53:29 pm »
Dang...that was quick.  Thanks guys and gals.  Trust me...I really hope that it's nothing.  And Pearl, I'm ANG, so don't think less of me.  ;)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2010, 09:38:16 pm »
PJ -

I'm hopeful your MRI will be "clean" but if it turns out you do have an AN, you've definitely come to the right place  ;D

Please keep us updated on your "situation".

Thanks - and good luck,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

TJ

• 1.2 cm AN right side, CK November 2010
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2010, 04:50:21 pm »
PJ

Thank your for serving our country!  Hopefully the MRI will show that it is not an AN.  But as many have said if it is this, this is the correct forum to belong to.  The information provided by the members is outstanding.

TJ

Lizard

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2010, 11:38:58 am »
PJ, Just want to echo everyone in welcoming you to the forum, I hope you MRI comes back "normal", but if it doesn't we are here to help you through.  I don't have any family where I live (besides my husband and 2 dogs) so I know how tough it can be to be dealing with things essentially on your own.  Try to focus on things you enjoy and hopefully some of your buddies from the ANG will step in and be your family.  I know I could not do it alone and my friends became my family, things like AN's tend to bring those who really care about you into focus and I hope you are fortunate to have a couple great people who step up.
Hang in there,
Liz
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2010, 11:47:31 am »
You have definitely found the right site and I am hoping your MRI will be negative please keep us posted and it is an honor writing to one of our military serving our country.

My prayers and thoughts are with you and your family ...

Best Wishes,

Pat
Diagnosed with a 1 cm. AN had Retrosigmoid
Approach surgery July of 2009, several problems after surgery.

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2010, 11:53:07 am »
Hey PJ, thank you for posting on here...as you no doubt have already found out, you'll find a lot of caring people here.  Keep us updated when you get that MRI done.  Crossing my fingers it's not, but if it is, you'll know that you have a lot of resources here to help you along.  Take care!

Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

james e

• 75years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2010, 08:55:31 pm »
Since you are in the military, you have hospitals on all bases/posts. You will have a military doctor handle your case. If you do have an AN, and I hope you don't, a couple of things might happen. If you do have one, you may be offered a medical discharge, and then you are on your own, with no insurance and a pre-existing condition. If you stay in, you will probably be sent to Walter Reed or some other training hospital for treatment. My surgery was at Methodist Hospital in Houston and a military resident attended my surgery. She was already an ENT, and was involved in my surgery. When I was in the military in the 60's, they did not ask how you wanted to be treated, they just treated you depending on if you were a "lifer" or "non lifer". The right answer is always "LIFER". Also, depending on your job in the military, they always take base line hearing tests...I worked on the flight line around jet engines for years, and they want to maintain your good health.

I was in tech school for 9 months at Keesler AFB in Mississippi and had a great time. I am sure some things have changed, but when it comes to following orders, you just do what they tell you to do. HOWEVER, this involves your health, so don't just let them tell you how you will be treated. I broke my wrist, and an OB/GYN treated me. Hopefully you really just have bad hearing and not an AN. If you do have one, read everything you can here. Ask questions. Learn until you are blue in the face. Good luck to you.

PS...don't let the OB/GYN touch you!

sbrn

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2010, 01:29:34 pm »
PJ,

Good luck with your MRI. I can definitely relate to you. I am currently active duty Air Force and recently found out I have an AN in my right ear. Fortunately they are testing you to find out if your hearing issues are more severe. I was not that lucky. I first reported hearing issues in 1999 according to my military med records and it was attributed to hunting and loud music  ;D On the plus side I started getting things rechecked for retirement purposes and found the true issue. I am guessing since you are ANG you will have a civilian hospital take care of things if it comes back as an AN. Either way from one Vet to another good luck wherever your journey ends up taking you!!!!!
Husband diagnosed 7/10 with 1.2 x 1.1cm AN
Translab 26 Oct 10
Baptist medical center Nashville TN

PJ

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2010, 05:24:20 am »
Well, hopefully sbrn...I am actually on active duty orders now going through tech school, so we'll see.  And thanks for the replies everyone. 

No word yet.

Funnydream

• Texas in my room crying. Guys can't cry. DARN IT.
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2010, 05:33:59 am »
Well, hopefully sbrn...I am actually on active duty orders now going through tech school, so we'll see.  And thanks for the replies everyone. 

No word yet.

No word yet? The radiologist at the MRI office will know that day. You should call your doctors office up and get the results.

Both MRIs I have had in my life. I was told the results the next day.
Age 42, AN left, 2.8cm
left hearing gone, balance getting better.
16 hour Surgery 9-27-10 CSF leak fix 10-4-10 3 hours
Miracle I feel my left face and tongue again.
If we evolved from monkeys into humans? When do we stop being human and become something else? What would that something else be?

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2010, 05:41:35 am »
And Pearl, I'm ANG *, so don't think less of me.  ;)

:)  Roger that!  Not thinking any less.... trust me on that!  I'm on leave this weekend so I'm glad to be off base for a few days......  btw, Acronym Finder is my new BFF! :)

Hang in there and pls keep us updated re: MRI results.

Phyl

* ANG = Air National Guard
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 01:02:00 pm by Jim Scott »
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"