Author Topic: Glasses earpiece  (Read 3547 times)

Karen4639

Glasses earpiece
« on: August 25, 2010, 10:02:45 am »
My eye glasses are making an indention in my scar behind my ear which is becoming a bit irritating. I stopped by to have the earpiece adjusted but it didn't help. Anyone have this problem and any suggestions? I hate not being able to wear my contacts! I'm 6 weeks post-op, translab.
Thanks,
Karen
Karen
translab 7/13/10
2.5cm AN removed
facial paralysis on AN side and balance issues

iluuvpups

Re: Glasses earpiece
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2010, 10:31:49 am »
I have not been able to wear my glasses full-time since my surgery.  I only wear them for driving and thankfully am getting by.  Otherwise, it's too uncomfortable to have them touching the area where my surgery was.  One thing I have seen on here recommended is to take off the arm on the side where your surgery was.  The glasses should be able to balance with just one arm over the other ear.  I haven't done this cause I'm just too lazy!  Good luck.  --Carol Ann
Original 1.75cm left-side AN diagnosed Feb 2010
Translab surgery May 27, 2010 with Drs. Kartush and Pieper of MEI
SSD on left side, some facial weakness, tear duct doesn't work
Found I actually had a facial neuroma during translab
Remaining 6mm facial neuroma - watch and wait

suz

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2010, 04:47:12 pm »
Karen,
I have had this problem also - and still dealing with it. My surgery was a day after yours so I imagine we are feeling the same thing! I almost bought a non-prescription pair of glasses post-op so that I could remove one "arm" but didn't want to spend the $$$. Compromised by wrapping a fabric bandaid around the end of the earpiece which helped. I also hike that side up on my head a bit so that it doesn't rest right on the scar. Looks weird but too bad.
I do not have to wear my glasses all the time - it was more of a concern the first  few weeks post-op because my eyes were so sensitive to the sun that I HAD to have sunglasses and a hat on when outside. If I had know ahead of time I would have brought along an old pair of glasses to LA and removed the arm on my surgical side. Do you have an old pair to do this with? Or just take apart your current pair and save that darn little screw to put together later! If I really needed my glasses for everything I would find it really irritating! My condolences.
Suz
Tumor 1.8cms x 1.5 cms x .5 cm;partially removed 7/14/10 by Drs. Friedman & Schwartz of House Ear Clinic in LA. Moderate SS hearing loss.
Re-growth approximate 3 mm per year; GK planned for 12/2017.
Philadelphia, PA area

Funnydream

• Texas in my room crying. Guys can't cry. DARN IT.
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2010, 03:20:35 am »
The only real fix is going to be $$$.

There are sport glasses that have a band that goes around your head instead of behind your ears.
These sport glasses have strait arms. But they are super tight. So prob a no go.
http://www.zappos.com/eyewear?gclid=CJmNgtPn1qMCFYvr7QodV37yuA

I can't find a link to the ones with the band. But they have strait arms and a band hooks on the end of the arms.

There are glasses that only hang off your nose.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pince-nez
Here are the ones from the Matrix. haha
http://www.matrix2sunglasses.com/matrix/morpheus.aspx
Age 42, AN left, 2.8cm
left hearing gone, balance getting better.
16 hour Surgery 9-27-10 CSF leak fix 10-4-10 3 hours
Miracle I feel my left face and tongue again.
If we evolved from monkeys into humans? When do we stop being human and become something else? What would that something else be?

Karen4639

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2010, 07:41:09 am »
Unfortunately I have to wear my glasses all the time. I'm pretty blind without them. I might try taking off one ear piece but I would think they would fall off. I keep reshaping the ear piece trying to find a position that works. I still have a lot of sun sensitivity. I was wondering if this was normal and due to the fact that my eye won't close. Is it due to how my eye is dialating?
Karen
translab 7/13/10
2.5cm AN removed

Funnydream

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2010, 10:17:29 am »
I just ordered Morpheus glasses.
http://www.matrix2sunglasses.com/matrix/morpheus.aspx

Because I called my local eyeglass store and asked if they had any. They said no. I asked if they can do the lens. If I order some online and bring them in. They said yes. So I'll keep y'all posted.
Age 42, AN left, 2.8cm
If we evolved from monkeys into humans? When do we stop being human and become something else? What would that something else be?

Karen4639

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2010, 07:30:16 am »
I will be interested to hear how that works for you. Interesting idea!
Karen
translab 7/13/10
2.5cm AN removed

Funnydream

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2010, 08:02:29 pm »
Just picked up my matrix style Morpheus glasses today. Cost $75 for the uber light weight lens with my script. Just regular clear single vision.

They use spring clips that grab ahold of the top bridge of my nose. I jumped up and down, shook my head side to side. They did stay on.

I would not normally use them. But to watch TV and get by at home while the scare heals up. I think they will work fine.

I do think its weird to have something clipped to the top bridge of my nose.   :o  But after watching some TV a bit I didn't notice.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 08:04:04 pm by Funnydream »
Age 42, AN left, 2.8cm