Author Topic: Anybody question their decision right before surgery??  (Read 2612 times)

arcteryx

Anybody question their decision right before surgery??
« on: May 19, 2006, 04:17:00 am »
Now that I'm less than one week away from surgery, I find myself seriously doubting my own research and decision to have surgery. My anxiety is through the roof and I can usually only sleep 2 or 3 hours per night. It's a tough decision because my AN is 3cm, so it's right on the borderline of radiation versus surgery. I'm worried that even if I survive the operation, my quality of life will be seriously diminished. Right now my hearing is perfect in both ears and my only symptom is some facial numbness. I have faith in my surgeons and know that I've chosen the right ones for me, but they're only human and I keep wondering if radiation would just kill the thing and I could go on with my life.

Anybody else here go through a similar re-thinking process right before surgery? Any advice?

cookiesecond

Re: Anybody question their decision right before surgery??
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2006, 05:08:54 am »
I think it is only natural to have second thoughts. My husband worked at night before my surgery and I would call him at all hours.Try to stay busy and know there are many of us with sucessful outcomes.
Having faith in your surgeons is great! Take a deep breath, relax, surround yourself with those you love, let go and let God be that supernatural peace that you need.God is a good God and He will bring you through!!! We will continually lift you in prayer.
Take care and think happy thoughts,
Lynn

Battyp

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2006, 08:03:56 am »
I think everyone of us seconded guessed our decisions right before.  However, you have confidence in your surgeon, were you at peace when you made the decision?  Call your doctor and tell you him/her you need something for anxiety to help calm you down!  You're def. on overload especially if you're not getting enough rest. 

I guess for me I was pretty niave going into surgery because I was told I wasn't a candidate for anything but what I had to do.  Look at how many had large tumors and are doing very well.  Their quality of life has gotten better not worse (crazycat is an exmaple that comes to mind).

Do your're best to find your inner peace it will help you going in to surgery.  Mine was reestablishing my relationship and faith in god.  It's very hard giving up control!  Know we are behind you 110% and statstically the odds are in your favor!  When is the big day?

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2006, 09:05:07 am »
arcteryx, I have to chime in, even though I was radiosurgery instead of microsurgery.

I think we all question ourselves and decisions we make in our lives that can be life altering in any way (physical, emotional, etc).  So many responses here that are on the money. We do what is best for us at that time. You have become so well versed on options, you've asked terrific questions, you have shared info.  Have faith in knowing that you have decided to do what is best for you and your situation. Have faith in knowing you are a very well-informed patient and have done your research. Have faith in your dr's and their skills and knowledge.  Have faith that you are doing what is best for you. :)

I know this next week is going to be a difficult/stressful one.  Please remember to take a long, deep breath each day to help bring you some inner peace. Take time for you (ie: a walk, a cup of tea, a bubble bath, etc) so you can be with your thoughts and that wonderful, deep breath. I have faith all will be fine with your procedure.... my hope is that you find that strength in knowing you are doing what is best for you.

MAJOR HUGGLES!!!!
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2006, 08:20:15 pm »
arcteryx:
Yes I had a period of great anxiety and questioning my decision betwwen finding out the scheduled day until the evening before my surgery (second time around that is). I questioned and requestioned my decision, kept hashing it out with my husband, I had difficulty sleeping etc. The day of my surgery I awoke (at home) and got ready to go and there was no anxiety, I was confident in my decision and had no fear that it was the right one for me.
The first time around I really never got out of the period of shock of diagnoses to have a chance to question if I should go ahead with the surgery...it was OR or certain death closely down the road and the odds of surviving surgery were 50/50. I don't really remember really thinking clearly at all during the time I waited between diagnoses and surgery.
You've made an educated decision and one that is right for you, it is natural to question yourself and you can change your mind right up until they "put you to sleep" but don't let anxiety be what changes your mind.
Kathleen
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)

okiesandy

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2006, 11:44:05 pm »
I was scheduled to have surgery at HEI last November. After fighting with my insurance company and losing we agreed to pay the much reduced cash price and go ahead. I cancelled about a week before my surgery and went with CK. I had been so stressed out about the surgery my PCP put me on Xanax so that I could sleep.

Everyone questions the choice they made. As late as when I was laying on the table to have CK I was still wondering if I had made the right decision. I am 4 1/2 months post CK and have quit stressing over the AN and if the treatment will work. There are days I never think about it. It consumed my life for about 10 months and now it doesn't.

Go with the gut feeling and if you feel you need to cancel do it. If you feel you need more time then take it. What ever decision you make, you will not be the first. Others have gone before you.

Ask your doctor for something to calm those nerves.

Blessings and hugs,

Sandy
Cyberknife 1/2006
Clinton Medbery III & Mary K. Gumerlock
St Anthony's Hospital
Oklahoma City, OK
Name of Tumor: Ivan (may he rest in peace)

CARMEN12

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2006, 01:08:58 am »
I was scheduled for surgery 5/10/06 and for some reason could not go through with it  so I met with another doctor on 5/8 and liked what he said so we are just going to monitor it with a new MRI in june.  The thought of life quality after surgery was very frightning for me and just new that there had to be other optiions.  I personally feel that this is 2006 and surgery is not my only choice also I'm a chicken. 
Carmen