Author Topic: Novalis Vs GK  (Read 3038 times)

dyslexus

Novalis Vs GK
« on: August 30, 2010, 09:23:05 am »
I have been seen at the House clinic and at UCLA.  UCLA is recommending the NOvalis system with fractionated radiation, 25 treatments.  They say this has a greater chance of retaining my current hearing.  Dr. Brackman at the House clinic has told me this has not been proven to be as effective at Gamma knife.  But it is new so it is hard to compare.  Has anyone had this treatment or knows anything more about it?

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Novalis Vs GK
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 01:52:46 pm »
Dyslexus ~

Hi, and welcome to the AN discussion forums! 

I'm not a doctor, much less, an expert on AN radiation protocols but I can offer you my experience with Novaliis.  In May, 2006, I was diagnosed with a 4.5 cm AN, pressing hard on my brainstem.  I was suffering from rapidly increasing symptoms (loss of equilibrium and sense of taste, severe fatigue).  My neurosurgeon performed a partial resection ('debulking') of the tumor, reducing it to approximately 2.5 cm and, essentially, 'gutting it' into a thin membrane that would be amenable to radiation.  The operation was completely successful and I suffered no real complications.  My neurosurgeon - very experienced with acoustic neuromas - teamed with a brilliant young radiation oncologist and, using 'fresh' CT and MRI scans of my skull, they jointly 'programmed' the FSR procedure.  The FSR was performed at the cancer treatment center adjacent to the hospital where I underwent my surgery, 3 months earlier.  Seeing and talking with folks being treated for very serious cancers every day helped me put my situation into the proper perspective.   I had a total of 26 separate treatments (receiving a total of approximately 27 gy) .  While the FSR procedure was a bit uncomfortable, (you wear a tight-fitting plastic 'mask' and are strapped down to a metal table that is moved by remote control) I suffered no complications from the radiation and drove myself to and from each session (a total of just over 60 miles) each day (weekends off).  My last MRI scan showed tumor necrosis (cell death) and the beginnings of tumor shrinkage.  My symptoms disappeared immediately following the debulking surgery and now, four years later, I consider myself to be fully recovered.  For me, the Novalis FSR treatment was quite successful. 

Although this is essentially anecdotal information, I trust it may help you reach a treatment decision.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

free2be

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2010, 05:29:13 pm »
Dyslexus,

Your question is one of the many multimillion dollar questions discussed often on this forum. Do your research. Do a search from the main page using each type as key words. There is a lot of discussion about both. I think there is less discussion about Novalis (LINAC?) than some because it is newer. Cyber Knife is newer than GK and is what I have personally decided upon, but this is a very individual decision. Learn as much as you can by reading the posts and looking up the procedures online. Also, ask the doctors for specific statistics for their treatment of ANs. It does vary by doctors and radiologists and their expertise in planning the process, perhaps as much or more than the actual device used.

Best,
Connie
Diagnosed Nov. 2008 Right AN 7 mm x 9 mm
Incremental MRIs enhancing mass
June 2010 1.4 cm x 0.9 cm extension into the CP angle
Pre-CK Stanford measurements 1.6 X 1.1 cm
9/29/10 - 10/1/10 CK completed with Dr Steven Chang and Soltys, Stanford.
6-month thru three year (8/13) follow ups MRI: stable

Shan1014

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2010, 03:59:05 pm »

I just completed Novalis treatment last Friday.  I had surgery last March to de-bulk the very large (4cm) tumor by 85% with virtually no real complications.  I retained my hearing, my facial nerve is plugging right along, and initially balance/vision/vertigo got better gradually.  I got an MRI in July and the tumor was found to be growing again aggressively, thus the need for Radiation.

My oncologist, Dr. John Kresl (Phoenix), really felt the Novalis system was the best answer for my tumor based on the location and the size.  I had treatment 5 days in a row.  The biggest factor he pointed to for me was the the Novalis machine was the best to use with a tumor that isn't perfectly round - it shapes to the exact contour of the tumor, thus limiting it's affect on the healthy tissue around it.

Three days out today and feel fairly good.  Just a lot of fatigue.  I will know more in 6 weeks when I have the next MRI
I have a website where I found some articles and video on the Novalis machine.  Not sure if you still need info but here it is    mymediabandit.com/
Good luck and be well,
Shannon
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 07:34:01 pm by Shan1014 »
4.1cm AN 85% de-bulked on 3/09/10
Dr. Willis & Dr. Macias- Phoenix Banner Hospital
July 2010 MRI shows fast re-growth
(FSR) Stereotactic Radiation Novalis Tx 9/27/10 5 days
Hearing loss and slight Bells Palsy Left side
Experiencing balance, facial numbness, double vision, headaches, & fatigue