Author Topic: encouragement  (Read 2380 times)

nanramone

encouragement
« on: August 30, 2010, 07:12:29 pm »
Hi everyone -

School started on August 23. Having never gone to college, this is a big deal for me, and is helping me move into a better mental state - I feel so optimistic and have a childlike curiosity I haven't felt for years. Additionally, I've volunteered to help by tutoring a disadvantaged child in a local elementary school - and I passed the police background check and was approved today! This too will help me get my mind off of my own issues and help another person to succeed.

I am writing about this in an effort to say that we all have the power and strength inside of us to move past what seems at times to be a huge problem. But we are strong, aren't we? This d**ned AN has made us stronger!

I'll add that the community college I'm attending has a helpful disability service - after a meeting today, they approved extended time for tests and in class quizzes and other types of in class work. I will also get my preference of seating because of hearing issues. The person who I talked to has worked with disability cases for a long time, and asked if I can apply for a handicapped parking permit - she said the documentation she received from the neurologist would qualify me to get one.

Oddly, I don't want to. My imbalance problems are improving. It's better for me to think that handicapped parking should be reserved for those with more need than I have.

What a change this AN has brought to my life. I see a lot of things differently than before. Adversity is good for self growth.

Nancy

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: encouragement
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 11:22:22 am »
Nancy .....

Hurray for having the motivation to rise above adversity and move forward to new adventures, including college!  I had a 25 year gap between finishing college and starting my master's degree so I can definitely relate to your excitement and your trepidation.

Re:  the handicapped parking permit.  Although several of us on here would qualify for such a permit, I am so glad you view this the way you do.  Actually, the additional walking is so much more beneficial than taking the shortest route.  However, remember to do it safely.  In grocery store parking lots, I park near a cart corral and grab one to push into and around the store.  In large parking lots, unless my husband is with me (he has a wonderful arm!) I park as close to an entrance as possible.  To be perfectly honest, I do not go to malls alone anymore ..... I have too many fears of falling in that environment.  (Note:  I have no vestibular function on either side so I have unique ongoing balance problems.)  In a one-sided AN (the usual), the other vestibular nerve normally takes over the balance function rather quickly.  This is why the additional (and regular) walking is so beneficial.

Best wishes.  What are you studying in college?

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Lizard

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, 12:53:33 pm »
That's just great to hear, you go get 'em.  I just finished my MBA in December after taking off 2 semesters, and let me say it was TOUGH!  But, the sense of accomplishment was well worth the pain. 
Good luck with your classes!
Liz
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

lori67

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2010, 01:36:10 pm »
What awesome news!  You should definitely give yourself a big pat on the back!  It's hard enough to go back to school as an adult, but to do so after brain surgery is even harder!

And I love that you are volunteering to help with tutoring.  That's another hard job and what a great service you're providing to that child!  I know it will be very rewarding for both of you!

There's no stopping you now!  Make sure to send us your first report card so we can hang it on our virtual fridge!   ;)

Now, go do your homework!   :-*

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2010, 01:50:37 pm »
Nancy ~

I was delighted to read your opening post and the significant message you conveyed regarding how adversity has affected your outlook and worked as a form of motivation for you.  I believe that it isn't necessarily the adversity we may encounter but how we meet the adversity that gives us the personal growth you mentioned.  In any case, your point is well taken, your story inspiring and your post appreciated.  I wish you a very rewarding college experience.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

mom of AN pt.

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2010, 01:58:20 pm »
My daughter is attending the University of WA...and is deaf in one ear due to her AN surgery that she had five years ago.

She does well in her classes (and some of the lecture classes have hundreds of students in them).  She must choose good locations for seating... however you can arrange to have reserved seating.

Best Wishes to you...

nanramone

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2010, 02:30:46 pm »
Hi, and thanks to everyone. My goal is to attend the community college to get the prerequisites out of the way, so that I can apply to the school of Liberal arts art Purdue University. I have created artwork for much of my life, but lack an academic background that I think will help me to expand my ideas. This is quite open-ended, and I have no idea where it will take me.

Now, I'm going to go finish some homework!

bye for now~

Nancy

ombrerose4

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2010, 08:59:47 am »
Hi Nancy,
Good luck to you on your college journey. Learning keeps you busy and gives you less time to dwell on any AN issues you might have. I returned to nursing school in Jan 2010, after one semester off due to surgery. It was hard, but it also gave me a reason to push myself forward. I am now in my last semester and finding it much easier as far as my AN issues such as hearing loss and headaches. We ANer's are a tough bunch!! :)
Retrosigmoid 9/24/09
AN 2.4+ cm left side
Mount Sinai Hospital, NYC (Dr. Bederson and Dr. Choe)
BAHA surgery 1/4/2010

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2010, 10:30:15 am »
Congratulations and good luck, Nancy!

IMO, ANs do tend to bring about positive changes.  My life has changed drastically - and definitely for the better - since I had my AN.

Makes me appreciate just how lucky I am and it also led me to advocate for others with the same issues.

Keep us posted on your progress,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways