Author Topic: Hair loss??  (Read 3110 times)

Stephanie

Hair loss??
« on: September 07, 2010, 12:57:09 pm »
My surgery was 8 weeks ago then I had a CSF leak and that surgey was 6 weeks ago now. I have just found a spot on my head (size of a quarter or larger) that is totally bald and completly smooth. It is on the opposite site of the surgery and was not there before. Cold this just be stress? Luckily I have a lot of hair and not everyone can see it but it has me concerned.
AN 3 cm left side (1.7 cm @ diagnosis 5 mo. prior - MRI didn't show all)  Surgical removal 7/12/10, CSF leak - surgical repair 7/26/10

Brewers7

Re: Hair loss??
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2010, 01:53:34 pm »
My husband gets this from stress.
Translab surgery 12/15/2008 followed by CSF leakage repair and 3 additional surgeries for MRSA of the brain (NOT typical) SSD,  facial and vocal cord paralysis, numerous reconstructive surgeries, Transear 12/2010

iluuvpups

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010, 01:57:24 pm »
I just saw a Dermotologist the other day (about something else).  She said she was surprised that I did not have any hair fall out after my surgery.  She said it was pretty common for that to happen. 
Original 1.75cm left-side AN diagnosed Feb 2010
Translab surgery May 27, 2010 with Drs. Kartush and Pieper of MEI
SSD on left side, some facial weakness, tear duct doesn't work
Found I actually had a facial neuroma during translab
Remaining 6mm facial neuroma - watch and wait

martyc

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2010, 08:52:39 pm »
That seems odd that it is on the unaffected area.  I'm glad to hear the dermatologist saying that it is normal to lose hair as I used to have very thick hair and now it is not thick, but reasonable. 
Hope the spot grows hair back!
Marty
Marty

texsooner

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2010, 05:58:41 am »
I had this exact same thing happen to me about 15 years ago. It was a spot on the back of my head about the size of a half dollar coin where my hair just totally fell out, completely bald/smooth. At the time, we had just relocated to an international location for my job and it was a very stressful job. I went to a dermatologist and he said it was most likely stress related. He gave me a couple of cortisone shots in the affected area (which I remember didn't feel too good) and in a few weeks time the hair grew back, and I still have hair in that spot and a good head of hair (at least for now). I may have had the AN at that time, but don't think it was related.

Patrick
3.5cm left side AN; 11 hour retrosigmoid surgery 8/11/08 @ Memorial Hermann, Houston - Texas Medical Center with Drs. Chang and Vollmer; home on 8/13/08;
SSD(w/tinnitus); dry eye; Happy to be here and feeling good.

lamplight

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2010, 06:02:07 pm »
In my non-medically-trained opinion it sounds like alopecia - I know a couple of people who've had this. Have a look at wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alopecia_areata
Generally I think they are somewhat stress related (auto-immunue but the stress exacerbates or triggers it) and the hair eventually grows back.

Maybe get it checked by a doctor though if you're worried about it or it gets bigger.

Hope it grows back soon

stevecms

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2010, 08:24:36 pm »
hi i have the same spot i thought it was from the clamp during surgery.
4 cm acc neuroma 99.9% removed queen elizabeth hospital 6 sept 09 by dr walsh.thought it was trigeminal neuralga,lots of facial pain for 18mths,now deaf on rh side little taste and ear pressure.13 hour surgery.

opp2

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2010, 08:33:34 pm »
I'm on side with Steve. The surgeons use clamps, often a three clawed thing, to hold your head still. Each arm has a pin in it that is screwed down into your skull. I believe it is called a Mayfield pin. I have three small areas of scaring no where near my incision. They are all smooth and hair free, but not quite the size of a quarter. This could be the cause.

All the best, happy recovery!
Diagn Apr 14 2009 with 2.5 cm lt AN. - numbness in the face and sudden onset headaches accompanied by balance issues. Consults with Drs in S Ontario, California (House) and Vancouver. Picked Dr. Akagami in BC.
Retrosigmoid July 6, 2010, 3.0cm by then. SSD left, no other significant side effects.

Stephanie

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2010, 06:42:04 pm »
Hi - Thanks to all who replied. I found after a visit to the doctor that the hair loss is in fact from the surgery as a couple of you said. The doctor said they use donuts to ease the pressure of the clamps used to hold your head during surgery and the area affected is where he had a clamp. I was worried since it was two months after the surgery that it appeared but it was a sensative area since the surgery. I have some hair growing back already so I am happy.  Just one more thing I didn't expect. :)
AN 3 cm left side (1.7 cm @ diagnosis 5 mo. prior - MRI didn't show all)  Surgical removal 7/12/10, CSF leak - surgical repair 7/26/10