Author Topic: facial paralysis/eye blinking  (Read 2664 times)

jbenn

facial paralysis/eye blinking
« on: September 10, 2010, 10:04:37 am »
Hi.  I'm a scared newbie...  Does anyone not get facial weakness and normal eye closing?  I'm looking at JHU for occipital/retrosig?  Please comment!!

Cheryl R

Re: facial paralysis/eye blinking
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2010, 11:24:19 am »
Janice, There are many do  not have any facial paralysis or eye issues.      One can  possibly have a bit of of dry eye for a short time even if the eye closes fine and one just uses lubrication till it gets over it.      If any one has any kind of eye issue then one uses the heavier gels for care and not the everyday tears most people use for just occ dryness.                  The tumor location is a big part of how the facial nerve has been affected.    Also size for most but not all people.    A bigger tumor that one has had for a longer time can have done damage to the nerve.     Most who do have some facial problems recover from it also but time can vary with how long it takes.   Nerve healing is slow and the muscles are different than regular muscles so will not be damaged.       One just ahs to let it heal and not do anything to it.                         I know this too well as have NF2 so been thru 3 tumors and surgery on both sides.     One side did have facial paralysis and recovered but later had a facial neuroma on that side too and surgery with a nerve graft at the same time and partial recovery.        The surgery on the other side had no facial paralysis at all.   
   It is a worry when finds out they have an AN and can not know ahead exactly how treatment will turn out.      One does not see here on the forum how many do well and here a short time and back to normal life.            The hearing loss is the most likely.   Most have balance issues and most recover from that as the other side  learns to compensate.               Ones needs an experienced surgeon which sounds like you have.                 It is very scary to find out one has an AN but there is life after treatment  and all of us here who can be of help!                         Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

jbenn

Re: facial paralysis/eye blinking
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2010, 11:58:27 am »
Thank you Cheryl!  It was so good to hear from you!  I'm not very good on the computer so took me several days to figure out how to post.  I signed up last week with my home email...but never could get it figured out.  How can I change my email to that?  When I tried they said someone already head that email but I can't seem to figure it out!
  You said something about reading something in order to get more posts.  I'm not sure what you are talking about.  Please help!