Author Topic: gamma knife  (Read 3214 times)

formula30

gamma knife
« on: September 16, 2010, 07:20:31 pm »
I am scheduled for gamma knife on Tuesday, September 21, I met with the radiation/oncologist on Monday, he stated that I was to be there at 7am, he informed me that the head frame is not a pleasant experience, but very doable........I am going to mention I am very nervous.  I was happy to hear that I could wear street clothes......lol......strange thing to worry about, "hate those gowns that open in the back......lol"  He just mentioned nothing tight, and short sleeves, I guess for the IV.  He was very nice and informative........now just waiting............any little tid bits of information for this procedure will be greatly appreciated.  I am not normally claustraphobic, but I notice I do panic sometimes when I think too much about what is going to be done.  Normal for most people I assume.  I understand that this may not shrink, but will hopefully stop growing it's 1.9 x 1.8 x 1.6 and most of it is not in the IAC, touching the brain stem, but my hearing is pretty bad in that ear, they said a hearing aid will not help......I guess that means BAHA......still researching.  Thanks for all the information it has helped greatly.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: gamma knife
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010, 07:54:54 pm »
Good luck, formula  ;D

Hope all goes well.

If you ever have any questions about the BAHA - please don't hesitate to PM me. 

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Jeanbean

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 08:04:21 pm »
Hi,  I had GK on July 8, 2010.  The head frame did not bother me at all.  It is a little heavy but not bad.  I did not feel any real pain when the put it on.  I am a very relaxed person and have not been bothered by the MRIs and closed spaces.  That said I must tell you that I were glasses and am very nearsighted.  So when they remove my glasses I don't see very well and just close my eyes.  Therefore I don't notice a lot of things.  The GK machine is not as closed in as the MRI machine.  I just relaxed with no meds and thought about being some where else.  The time went very fast.  I did wear sweats as I figured it would be cool in the room.  I was very comfortable.  I hope you all goes well for you.  Good luck.   Jean
AN diagnosed 2-24-10
3mmX7mmX3mm right side
GK  7-8-10 at Providence Hosp. Portland, Or
Dr. McMenomey and Dr. Bader

rupert

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2010, 09:30:32 pm »
September 21,    You won't have much time to think about it.   That is great that you can get the procedure done and over with quickly.

I think you will find the whole procedure mostly un-eventful and maybe a little boring.   I myself found nothing in the procedure that would be claustraphobic.

Here are some tips:     *  If your feeling a little nervous they will be more than happy to give you
                                         a mild sedative to help you relax.  Don't be affraid to ask (they will ask you though)
                                *  wear loose,  comfortible  clothing.
                                *  Bring your favorite CD's.   You could be in and out of the machine several times while they
                                           change out the collumators.   You will be in the machine for between 10 and 30 minutes each
                                           time and they will be happy to play your music for you.   ( I'm sure they have some too ).
                                 *  If you have any discomfort at all ,  let them know.  They can put  another dab of numbing cream or quick shot
                                            of novacain  around the pin sights.   Absolutely no reason to be uncomfortable.
                   By the way if you don't mind telling us.     Where are you having your Gamma Knife done?    Good luck.    Bryan       

formula30

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2010, 06:13:18 am »
I am having my gamma knife done at Thomas Jefferson, my neurosurgeon is Dr. Evans, and the radiation oncologist is Dr. Shi.  I feel very comfortable with both.  Thanks for all the support.  I am going to ask for something to relax me since I am really nervous.  I know they mentioned that I could drink and have a snack after they put the head frame on..........I imagine that may be a little difficult, considering the way that thing fits............funny the things we worry about.......lol.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2010, 09:44:15 am »
............funny the things we worry about.......lol.

Absolutely.

When I was considering my treatment choices - radiation vs surgery - and my doc told me that with GK he'd be screwing a metal frame into my head I just about freaked out  :o 

For some reason the thought of him and my neurosurgeon opening up my head and removing the AN didn't phase me at all  ::)

He was shocked by this - even when I told him that the difference was that with the surgery I'd be asleep.

Just for the record that wasn't the only reason I chose surgery, but it was strange how my mind was thinking at the time.

I'm sure your GK will go very smoothly and that it's the right choice for you.  Being comfortable with your docs is critical IMO.

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

mk

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2010, 11:08:21 am »
Be prepared for a long day, which could get quite boring between the various phases. First thing they do is attach the frame (yes, it is "screwed" in the head, but you can't really tell - they put a topical anesthetic).  The frame is a bit heavy, but when outside the treatment you don't wear the entire frame, just the support base. Then you go for the MRI. The positioning is a bit awkward because you have the frame on. Then there is quite a bit of wait, until they plan your treatment. The GK machine is surprisingly comfortable, not noisy like the MRI and not as claustrophobic. It is so quite, that it gives you the impression that they haven't switched it on. The treatment itself may last from 20 min to as much as 2 hours, depending on their treatment plan. In some cases they may have to remove you to adjust the positioning of the collimator (?? don't remember the spelling).

After you're done they may or may not give you an IV steroid injection, but they typically monitor you for an hour or two.

That's pretty much it, my wisdom tooth extractions where more unpleasant - but it is indeed a long day, especially if they are treating more than one patients. The pin sites may or may not ooze a bit - I never felt anything from the ones on the back of my head, but the left front one was sore. Do apply cold compresses to ease the swelling, this is something that I didn't do because I didn't read the instructions  carefully  ::), so I did have a bit of swelling on my forehead for the first 2-3 days.

Remember to take it easy and not overstress yourself and good luck with your treatment.

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

RAB

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2010, 08:21:38 pm »
Hi Formula,
Just thought I'd add my 2 cents about my GK experience.  I had mine on June 4th.  Don't worry about the head frame.  I was given a mild sedative along with a local anesthetic.  I felt like I had a few cocktails before the procedure.  I really didn't care what they were doing to my head.  I know I was awake and concious of what was going on, but I really don't remember all the details or any pain.   The procedure itself, like the others have stated, may take a little long, but that, too, is a blurr.  I don't remember feeling like it was taking too long and I was very relaxed during it.  I know what you mean about panicking and feeling nervous.  I guess that can't be avoided.  This is all such a big deal!  I think the worst part, for me, was the waiting and the time up until the sedative took effect.  Afterward, they monitored me for a short while, gave me something to eat and let me go.  I got up and walked out with my husband and they even said it would be ok for me to walk to the car which was parked 1 block away.  No problem.. except for the big white bandage around my head!  I was a little self-conscious!  Good Luck!
Rosemary  :)
1.8 x 1.2 x 1 AN right side. 
Diagnosed 10/1/08
Gamma Knife 6/4/10
Penn Medicine-  Drs. Judy, Bigelow, Alonso-Basante

formula30

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2010, 06:44:36 pm »
Thanks so much for your information about your experiences with gamma knife.  I talked to the nurse who called today, and she was wonderful.........as everyone at Thomas Jefferson has been.  Everyone on here has been great also, I go for gamma knife tomorrow morning...........so thanks for helping me relax.

Sefra22

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2010, 07:01:57 pm »
Good luck tomorrow! In a few weeks you will be telling others who are thinking about GK what a breeze it was!

Like Marianna said it is a loooong day so dress comfortably. I was in a wheel chair much of the day as I was taken in for a CT scan, MRI, and hearing test before the treatment. I even fell asleep in it at one point because the meds relaxed me so much. The actual treatment went by quickly, and I slept like a rock that night.

Let us know how it goes when you feel up to it,

Lisa
Lisa from Portland, Maine age 46
Diagnosed June 2006
15mm X 17mm AN right side 80% hearing loss
GK March 14,2007 Dr. Noren, Providence RI
1 Year follow-up MRI shows "slight shrinkage".
2 Year follow-up MRI shows "No Change".
3 Year follow-up MRI "stable".
BAHA surgery 4-22-09 BP100 Sept. 2009