Author Topic: Tingly tounge and dry lips post surgery (5 months post)  (Read 4932 times)

skamper

• Disneyworld with my girls!
Tingly tounge and dry lips post surgery (5 months post)
« on: September 20, 2010, 03:01:19 pm »
Okay, so I had retrosigmoid in April and all seemed to have gone great.  I was getting occasional headaches now and then.  Lately the headaches are way more frequent and more intense.  I sometimes get them to the point I almost can't see straight.  They are in the back of my head, along my neck, then they sometimes radiate towards the front around my forehead.
I've also had more tingling and metallic taste this last month then ever before.  My docs thought maybe it was my water pill I take, but I went off of it and swelled up like a balloon and so now I am back on it.  My lips constantly feel like they are chapped and look red all the time now too.  I've been on the water pill for at 5-8 years now, I think I would become allergice all of sudden.
I'm trying to see if anyone else after having surgery has had these sypmtoms creep up?  It's been a bit frustrating, the headaches, I mean.  I missed a day of work today because of it.  It still hurts now, but I have to take the girls to CCD tonight.  I wish I knew the answers, I don't want to keep missing work when my surgery seems so long ago and work probably won't understand, I'm stilll recovering.
By the way, I have my BAHA surgery set for October 27th, I can't wait.  They let me try it last month and I could hear.  It was awesome.
Thanks for any help.
Susan
Diagnosed 12-09
AN right side 2.3 x 2.6 x 1.9
97% balance loss, minimal hearing loss
Surgery 4-2-10 at Methodist Hospital, Dr. Long and Moore
1.5 cm tumor left on 7 nerve.  Gamma knife 1-2013

iluuvpups

Re: Tingly tounge and dry lips post surgery (5 months post)
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2010, 08:45:22 am »
Hi, Susan.  I had my surgery about 4 months ago.  I am starting to get more headaches now, but can't say they're from the translab surgery.  I'm under a lot of stress so maybe they're caused by that.  I too have the problem that crept up about dry chapped lips.  I didn't have this immediately post surgery.  Even when I put something on them to lube them up, it seems it doesn't stay there very long.  I hope your symptoms start to get better soon!  --Carol Ann
Original 1.75cm left-side AN diagnosed Feb 2010
Translab surgery May 27, 2010 with Drs. Kartush and Pieper of MEI
SSD on left side, some facial weakness, tear duct doesn't work
Found I actually had a facial neuroma during translab
Remaining 6mm facial neuroma - watch and wait

skamper

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2010, 09:28:20 pm »
Carol Ann,
Thanks for replying, it's at least nice to hear I'm not the only one with headaches.  Not that it's good you have headaches though ??? 
Today I had a headache, not horrible, but still enough to drive me nuts and have to take more meds.
The metallic taste or burning of the tongue, as I call it, is really the worse thing right now.  I can't taste anything, it always gets worse the more salty or sweet things I eat.  It's kinda hard to cut out all salt.
Maybe I might need to make another appt with the ENT and be checked out again.
Thanks again,
Susan
Diagnosed 12-09

iluuvpups

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2010, 06:32:07 pm »
Hi, Susan.  Sorry to hear about the metallic/burnt taste on your tongue.  The left side of my tongue is kind of without taste buds since the surgery.  This hasn't seemed to change.  I also have a dry mouth.  I'm not sure when that started, but at some point after the surgery.  While I know there are worse things, it can be hard to deal with all these side effects day in and day out.  Worst for me is the dry eye and constantly having to put ointment in it.  Take care.  --Carol Ann
Original 1.75cm left-side AN diagnosed Feb 2010
Translab surgery May 27, 2010 with Drs. Kartush and Pieper of MEI
SSD on left side, some facial weakness, tear duct doesn't work
Found I actually had a facial neuroma during translab
Remaining 6mm facial neuroma - watch and wait

skamper

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2010, 09:10:44 pm »
Sorry to hear about your dry eye.  At had that for a couple months and now I finally have tears in that eye. 
The no taste buds sounds just like me.  I know there is worse things too, like now the ringing in that ear is driving me crazy.  Whenever I over do it or get too tired, it gets worse.  Tonights been a crazy night and I'm paying for it now.  Heading pounding neck ache and ringing ears!!!
The ice pack seems to work wonders though.  Just waiting for my pain med to kick in.  I wish I didn't have to take them anymore.  I still take one a night.  I know it's a lower dose, but I still hate it.  I take advil every morning to just prevent the headaches.  I don't dare want to get one at work, that would be awful.
Thanks for sharing,
Susan
Diagnosed 12-09

GramaSuby

• "Lost my muchness have I"? ALICE IN WONDERLAND
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2010, 08:22:38 am »
Hi Susan & Carol Ann, so sorry to hear you are having those side effects. Though I'm not a postie yet so can't yet relate ( my and Suebedo's surgery is Thurs the 30th) I do know that when my skin and lips get dry or when I get headaches I know that I am dehydrated and need to step up on my water intake but that's just me and how my body reacts.  I just pray that we don't have those and other side effects after surgery. I'll be thinking of you..... Sue
Diagnosed Nov 08  w/ 14x13x14mm left AN. Translab on 9/30/10 w/ Dr's Mattox & Olson at Emory University Hosp. in Atlanta.  Post surgery complications were meningitis & pneumonia. Hospitalized for 12 days, zero memory for the first 5.

skamper

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2010, 08:40:22 pm »
Sue, someone else suggested that I might be dehydrated too.  I will try to increase my water intake and see what happens. 
You commented on my "nut" cup.  I'm guessing I had that due to the type of surger I had?  My husband said it was over the incision and ear.  It was strapped real tight to my head, I just remember that bugging all day and night.  Once it came off, I was much better.
Thanks,
Susan
Diagnosed 12-09

Pembo

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2010, 04:20:30 pm »
AS for dry lips, I am a faithful chapstik/vaseline addict since surgery day, 6 yrs ago. My tongue is now less tingly.

As for your headaches, I get regular neck massage and it greatly helps my headaches. When my neck tightens, my head hurts. I use heat and advil but the best relief is 30 mins with my massage therapist.
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

alicia

• it is well
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2010, 04:16:47 pm »
HI SUSAN!!!!  I have not been on here forever and was so happy to see your post!  Sorry about your headaches, tongue, and lip issues though!
I am anxious to hear about the BAHA surgery decision!  I have not done that and can't decide if I should! Have you posted in Hearing section? Or just pm me ok???  Alicia
02/16/18 III to IV post GK Facial Paralysis
12/13/17 Gamma Knife
05/19/09 Translab Larger than expected - Drs used the word "tangerine"   House - Friedman and Schwartz
04/02/09 Diagnosed Left AN 3.2cm x 2.6cm x 2.7cm

skamper

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2010, 10:22:18 pm »
Thanks Alicia,
I did put a recent post under hearing issues for my upcoming screwing!  It will be on October 27, I can't wait to be able to wear it.  It worked great when I tried one out.  You should look into it if you've been having any problems.  I just hate not being able to hear when I'm in a crowded place or out in public.  My girls try to look out for me when we're out in public, that helps a lot too.
I will try to email you soon and give you some updates.
Thanks for checking in.
Susan
Diagnosed 12-09