Author Topic: Surgery postponed...again!  (Read 4126 times)

Funnydream

• Texas in my room crying. Guys can't cry. DARN IT.
Surgery postponed...again!
« on: September 22, 2010, 10:17:15 am »
I just got cancel a 2nd time this morning. Doctor said he had been up all night in surgery and didn't think it was in my best interest to start digging.

I'm climbing the walls. All the same as you. Can't eat, can't sleep.

I went to a floor and was put in a small room for a while. While nurses did test. Took my blood, temp, Blood pressure, etc. And was put in a gown.

Then right out side the room they had a roll around bed. And rolled me threw a bunch halls and elevators. Since I wasn't driving. I got totally lost. I think getting rolled around when I can walk. Is just plain weird.

I didn't like being rolled in front of a room full of strangers. Which was a big room with lots of people in lots of roll around beds. I asked what room it was. Was told its a post-op and pre-op waiting room. It was not ICU. Then the doc pleaded with me to let him take a pass. And I did. Got right out of that bed and they pulled the curtain. Dressed up and got a nurse to show me out of the maze to the main waiting room.

That's as far as I have gotten.
Age 42, AN left, 2.8cm
left hearing gone, balance getting better.
16 hour Surgery 9-27-10 CSF leak fix 10-4-10 3 hours
Miracle I feel my left face and tongue again.
If we evolved from monkeys into humans? When do we stop being human and become something else? What would that something else be?

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Surgery postponed...again!
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2010, 11:38:23 am »
Funnydream ~

Wow, what a hassle!  I'm sorry this has happened to you for the second time, even though I think your doctor was being honest and responsible to know he wasn't up for another long, delicate surgery.  Still, to get practically to the door of the OR and not be able to get in has to be frustrating so your anxiety is easily understood.  I would be understanding but let your doctor know that these postponements are very stressful for you and make it clear that this simply cannot happen again.  Meanwhile, look at it as a reprieve of sorts and try to treat yourself in some way.  

Jim

This message was moved to it's own thread for better exposure.  J.S.
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

sunfish

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2010, 05:56:41 am »
Well, I sure wouldn't want a fatigued doctor doing surgery on my brain! Seems like you made a good choice.  I've found out this AN treatment thing requires a great deal of patience.  Hang in there, we're thinking of you today.
Rt. side 14mm x 11mm near brain stem
Severe higher frequency hearing loss
I use a hearing aid (Dot 20 by Resound)
Balance issues improving!!!!
Cyberknife March17, 2010
Roper Hospital Cancer Center, Charleston, SC

kiwi

• Facebook
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010, 04:34:09 pm »
I know this probably won't help but when I was postponed the 2nd time, I took up fruit picking to take my mind off it.  I picked 10 kgs of blackberries and I only lost my balance once falling into the bushes..that was a bit messy with all the thorns!  Once I got better after surgery I started making jam something I had decided to do before my surgery...a goal to help me get through and out the other side. 

Being postponed is really depressing and I guess what I am trying to say is find something to occupy your mind or it will drive you mad.

Jacqui
3.6cm AN Left side diagnosed Dec 09.
Translab surgery 16th March 2010
Left SSD, Facial Paralysis
CSF Leak surgery 11th May 2010

skamper

• Disneyworld with my girls!
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2010, 08:46:07 pm »
So sorry to hear you were postponed again.  I know I was all set with help for home, time off work, disability ready to go and all.  I hope if you work, your job understands all this.  It's not your fault and you did the right then.  Have they rescheduled you yet?  Good luck with that and keep us posted.
Susan
Diagnosed 12-09
AN right side 2.3 x 2.6 x 1.9
97% balance loss, minimal hearing loss
Surgery 4-2-10 at Methodist Hospital, Dr. Long and Moore
1.5 cm tumor left on 7 nerve.  Gamma knife 1-2013

nanramone

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2010, 08:52:29 pm »
I'm so sorry to hear this. It sounds like the good doctor is allowing himself to be overbooked - uncool. I'd be so frustrated - I feel bad for you.

I was so lucky GK could not have possibly run more smoothly - everything was absolutely on schedule - ran like a finely tuned machine.

I can not imagine how you feel.

I agree with Jim that the doctor needs to be told this can not happen again.

Take care~

Nancy

lamplight

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2010, 04:10:33 am »
Argh...I feel your pain. Deep breaths. On the day of my scheduled surgery I got cancelled as something more urgent came up (was left hanging until 3pm!) and I was postponed for a month! And it was the most agonizing stressful awful month of my life. I took one week of stress leave and then went back to work for the next three. I was desperate to do anything to keep my mind of things and stop wondering if the delay would impact on my surgery outcomes. I hope you're doing ok - I know that for me it was a constant battle to stop myself getting completely depressed and just going to bed and staying there until it was time for surgery.

I was lucky and everything turned out fine (4cm tumour and hearing on right totally gone, face fine) but the stress before hand was definitely worse than the actual recovery. In retrospect, I was glad of the cancellation as otherwise I would have been in same situation as you might have - surgeon could have been doing another fairly lengthy op before hand and I wouldn't want tired hands any where near my brain matter!

Do whatever you can to distract yourself. Probably won't make you forget the tumour for any period of time, but might make the time go quicker.

Good luck and all the best

Lizard

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2010, 11:51:09 am »
Geez not once but twice, you poor thing.  Well its probably better that the dr didn't do such a delicate surgery when he was so tired.  You should be happy he wanted to pass...hopefully the 3rd time is the charm!
Liz
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

Shan1014

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2010, 06:56:42 pm »
So sorry.  Feel your pain.  I was to get a call the morning prior to surgery to come in and get all my tests done and spend the night in the hospital.  I got a call at the time I was going in telling me it got pushed back a week so that staff didn't have to be changed in the middle of surgery.  I also would have been the third one of the day.  I was devastated for a few hours and I think that is OK to be.  This isn't easy.  But, I also think it was good for me to get refocused on the solution....  Which was to find a way to get through the next week.  Find something to focus on. 

I wish you well.  Hang in there.
Shannon
4.1cm AN 85% de-bulked on 3/09/10
Dr. Willis & Dr. Macias- Phoenix Banner Hospital
July 2010 MRI shows fast re-growth
(FSR) Stereotactic Radiation Novalis Tx 9/27/10 5 days
Hearing loss and slight Bells Palsy Left side
Experiencing balance, facial numbness, double vision, headaches, & fatigue

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2010, 12:22:27 am »
So when are they going to do your surgery? Ugh....I know I would be climbing the walls at that point...Good luck and keep your spirits up!
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston