Author Topic: CT (w/o contrast) vs. MRI (with contrast)  (Read 2519 times)

Stand

CT (w/o contrast) vs. MRI (with contrast)
« on: September 22, 2010, 09:59:31 pm »
Please forgive me for asking an Acoustic Neuroma question if I have not been diagnosed with one.  I've had symptoms of one for the past ten years but was just told so by my ENT and I go in for my MRI Monday morning.  I went to the ER yesterday because I keep having episodes of falling over.  (FYI, I'm a 28 year old female)  So they did a CT scan without contrast.  In that they found only a white spot and a 17mm cyst in the nasal area.  But here's my question.  I know you guys aren't doctors but I thought maybe you would know.  But, if a CT scan without contrast did not show an acoustic neuroma, is an MRI even necessary?

PaulW

Re: CT (w/o contrast) vs. MRI (with contrast)
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2010, 11:05:21 pm »
Its chalk and cheese. Almost impossible to see an AN with CT, really needs to be an MRI which you can see soft tissue in far more detail.
My AN was suspected from a CT scan. However the AN was completely invisible. The boney canal that it was sitting in was slightly thickened, and therefor an AN was suspected.
Thats all you could see.
In many cases the CT Scan will not show any signs of an AN at all.
An MRI really needs to be done, even if the CT Scan shows up as clear, if an AN is suspected.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 11:16:58 pm by PaulW »
10x5x5mm AN
Sudden Partial hearing loss 5/28/10
Diagnosed 7/4/10
CK 7/27/10
2/21/11 Swelling 13x6x7mm
10/16/11 Hearing returned, balance improved. Feel totally back to normal most days
3/1/12 Sudden Hearing loss, steroids, hearing back.
9/16/13 Life is just like before my AN. ALL Good!

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2010, 07:04:52 am »
Paul is right.  The only way to make a positive diagnosis of an AN is with an MRI with contrast.  It will glow like a lightbulb.  On a CT scan or an MRI without contrast, it will only show up as a possible vague shadow.
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Stand

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010, 07:48:47 am »
Well, it had me wondering because they told me that I have a white spot on the left side of my brain, probably due to an old injury.  And they told me that I have a 17mm cyst in the nasal area.  So then I was thinking, if they can see those two things, then I would think an Acoustic Neuroma would be seen easily.  And since they didn't mention one, then maybe the MRI will be clear.  I have too much time to think, as you can see!  Lol