Author Topic: I had surgery last month...  (Read 2574 times)

KimR

I had surgery last month...
« on: September 27, 2010, 03:54:48 pm »
where they removed 40% of my facial neuroma which was up against my brainstem. After the surgery my sugar was elevated and they had to give me insulin several times while in the hospital. I'm not diabetic. Has this happened to anyone else? I also notice that now I have a metallic taste in my mouth only on the tumor side.

Thanks for any replies and hope everyone is doing well!

Kim

Tod

• My blog (work and life)
Re: I had surgery last month...
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2010, 07:36:16 pm »
Kim,

My memories of my time in ICU are a bit fuzzy, but I think I recall that insulin was one of the frequent injections I received, however, I was in ICU for two weeks. I had something of a metallic taste for a few weeks, but then again, I couldn't taste much of anything (I still can't taste most sugars). I don't believe the metallic taste is uncommon.

Tod
Bob the tumor: 4.4cm x 3.9cm x 4.1 cm.
Trans-Lab and Retro-sigmoid at MCV on 2/12/2010.

Removed 90-95% in a 32 hour surgery. Two weeks in ICU.  SSD Left.

http://randomdatablog.com

BAHA implant 1/25/11.

28 Sessions of FSR @ MCV ended 2/9/12.

Cheryl R

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2010, 06:33:22 am »
Kim, The reason you got the insulin is because steroids can raise the blood sugars even if one is not diabetic.      There is a state that one can be pre diabetic and your sugars during normal life can be just barely elevated and you have the potential in the future to be diabetic so do have it checked in the future.         Years ago an elevated blood surgar was over 120,     Now they consider over 100 to be pre diabetic but it can take some time before one is really a diabetic, if they end up being one.   
                                                  Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2010, 11:00:13 am »
I had steroids in the hospital and my blood test was strange too, but not strange enough to warrant insulin.  But then again, I only had a dose or two of steroids for very slight facial paralysis post op.

The metallic taste is normal.  I had it for at least six months before it finally went away.  Try zinc - which sometimes works and sometimes doesn't but either way won't harm you.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

nteeman

• Back to Mono
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2010, 06:15:01 am »
When I was in the hospital they monitored my blood sugar while I was on steroids post-op, and at one time I needed an insulin injection. I remember thinking how it was the least painful shot I ever got. After that one time I did not need it again even though I was still on the 'roids for about 14 days after I was released from the hospital. I couldn't wait to be off the 'roids and I felt much better once I was.  But everybody is different.

-Neal
Diagnosed 12/16/2008
AN 2.4 X 2.0 X 1.6 CM
surgery performed on 1/27/2009 Mt. Sinai Hospital, NYC
Dr.Bederson & Dr. Smouha
9:30am thru 5:50pm
http://www.facebook.com/neal.teeman

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2010, 12:53:58 pm »
Kim ~

I spent 4 days in the ICU post-surgery (due to a bed shortage, I was fine).  My blood sugar was checked at least once per day.  There was never a problem.  Once again, we see that every AN patient is unique and has a slightly different hospital/recovery experience.  I believe the metallic taste will eventually subside and disappear.  Unfortunately, that can't be positively guaranteed and if it does, as I expect, no one can say exactly when that will occur. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

skamper

• Disneyworld with my girls!
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2010, 09:32:59 pm »
I didn't get insulin or steroids after my surgery.  I still have the metallic taste though.  Some hours of the day are far worse than others depending on what I eat and drink.  It gets very frustrating sometimes.  I always feel like I burnt my tongue.

Sorry I can't help you with the insulin question.
Susan
Diagnosed 12-09
AN right side 2.3 x 2.6 x 1.9
97% balance loss, minimal hearing loss
Surgery 4-2-10 at Methodist Hospital, Dr. Long and Moore
1.5 cm tumor left on 7 nerve.  Gamma knife 1-2013

Shan1014

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2010, 06:49:54 pm »
Hi,

I did get my blood sugar tested a couple times a day but don't recall needing insulin or not. This aren't very clear for me on those days :)  I don't recall a metallic taste in my mouth at all. But through the whole lead up to surgery and after, half of my tongue is numb and feels like it has been burnt.  Not sure if this helped at all.  Take care of yourself and be well.
Shannon
4.1cm AN 85% de-bulked on 3/09/10
Dr. Willis & Dr. Macias- Phoenix Banner Hospital
July 2010 MRI shows fast re-growth
(FSR) Stereotactic Radiation Novalis Tx 9/27/10 5 days
Hearing loss and slight Bells Palsy Left side
Experiencing balance, facial numbness, double vision, headaches, & fatigue

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2010, 12:29:32 am »
I too was a bit fuzzy during my time in the hospital, but now that I think about it I did have to do a round of insulin to bump up my blood sugar...but I think I only got one treatment.
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston