Author Topic: Just venting!  (Read 6094 times)

skamper

• Disneyworld with my girls!
Re: Just venting!
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2010, 09:21:22 pm »
My headaches started about 5 months postop.  I was great after surgery with no headaches at all.  Then whamo, they hit me like a ton of bricks.  They are the thing that wears me down the most as well.
I wish I didn't need to work, unless we want to sell the house and downsize, right now it's not an option.  If I could just find what's causing the headaches, I might be able to control them.  I do know they are worse when I'm extremely tired or have over done it for the week.
thanks,
Susan
Diagnosed 12-09
AN right side 2.3 x 2.6 x 1.9
97% balance loss, minimal hearing loss
Surgery 4-2-10 at Methodist Hospital, Dr. Long and Moore
1.5 cm tumor left on 7 nerve.  Gamma knife 1-2013

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2010, 04:06:20 pm »
Here is the famous "I am not a doctor", but I know a lot about headaches. My wife is a drug rep for over 20 years, and she is a specialty rep that works only with neurologist on headaches. She has done lots of areas in neurology and she shares her knowledge with me...I could sell the drugs. Just like when you started getting wonky headed, there are lots of medical conditions that can cause that to happen, and doctors have protocols and test to include or exclude causes of your wonky head. Same way with headaches. Now you just had a surgery and then these headaches are probably a result of that surgery, but it is possible there might be another cause, and an MRI can answer lots of questions. Think about it...somebody just altered your brain just a few months ago, so thats  a good place to start looking. My understanding is that the surgery you had can cause headaches because of the position your head had to be in or maybe they had to sever a muscle or some nerves. Any way, my point is, the doctor will use the protocol, the MRI, and probably figure out some type of resolution for you.

Technology is great stuff and we get the benefits to help us live longer better lives. I am a health nut, athlete, do all the things you are supposed to do to stay healthy, and I had a stroke April 2009. 5 days in the hospital found a hole in my heart, a birth defect, that caused my stroke. Had heart surgery May 2009. Had AN surgery March 2010. Yesterday I went to get my eyes checked, and I have cataracts so now I need implants in my eyes. And I really have a GREAT life, and I am glad we have all of this great technology. Now I won't have to wear glasses...life is good.

Don't let this get you down. There is a solution. You will not live you life with these headaches for much longer. Hang in there. Your life is about to get better.

skamper

• Disneyworld with my girls!
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2010, 10:58:26 am »
Wow thanks James!
You truly are a positive person.  Sorry to hear about all your ups and downs, but you are obviously a very healthy and positive person.
I will take this MRI with a grain of salt and hopefully they won't find anything to be worried about and then we can just try and manage the headaches. 
I still have gotten no call on the scheduling of the MRI yet.  Seems they are in no hurry.  Maybe that's a good sign.
Thanks again James.
Susan
Diagnosed 12-09
AN right side 2.3 x 2.6 x 1.9
97% balance loss, minimal hearing loss
Surgery 4-2-10 at Methodist Hospital, Dr. Long and Moore
1.5 cm tumor left on 7 nerve.  Gamma knife 1-2013

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2010, 08:09:36 am »
Attitude is the KEY to a great life. Now you have to adjust someone else's attitude...call your medical center and and adjust their attitude..."I want my appointment and I want it now! I am sick and I don't want to wait for you to call me when you get around to it...give  me a date and time!" Hang in there.

kzanana

« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2010, 09:40:10 pm »
I will be 2 years post op on 11/25 and I still turn to the Forum on bad days, just to help me know I am not alone in this pain. I try to remember, my tumor is gone, no cancer and I am alive although the pain is so bad at times I may wish I wasn't. I agree, and think finding a Neurologist to work with you on the pain is key. Mine is the best and willing to let me try what I hear from this forum that has helped others. I am confident , in time we will find what works to lessen my pain on those days I cannot even comb my hair because my head hurts so bad. 
    Another thing to remember is your HOME is where you are all together with your Family. If you are unable to stay in the home you have now because you need to go on disability it will not be the end of your family. You are what is important to them, not the house. Life changes and you had a life changing surgery.My prayers are with you.