Author Topic: Introduction  (Read 2956 times)

jbbrown15

Introduction
« on: October 20, 2010, 07:56:06 pm »
I've posted som scattershot posts, but there's such great support here that I wanted to really introduce myself.

I'm Jean, a 33 year old mother of 3 and attorney.  I delivered my 3rd daughter in February, went back to work 6 weeks later and started getting classic migraines.  My doctor told me to try Excedrin migraine and come back it things got worse.

For a while, I did feel like things were getting better, then sometime in June things started getting worse.  It was so gradual.  Weird pressure feelings in my head that came and went, headaches and a general crappy feeling.  Everyone, including myself, chalked most of it up to the stress and exertion of working fulltime and having 3 kids under 5 years old.  I did not go back to my doctor.  A friend at work has a family full of migraine sufferers, and every symptom I came up with, one of her family members had.  I just kept telling myself that I was suffering from migraine-related symptoms.

My husband started urging me to go back to my doctor, but I put it off.  I realized that pretty much every day I was having these symptoms.  What put me over the edge was a feeling one evening that gravity had increased and that I was being sucked towards the floor.

My doctor looked at me funny when I said that the pain was the least bothersome part of my self-diagnosed migraine condition.  She sent me for an MRI and gave me a referral for a neurologist.

I had the MRI at 7:15 on September 9.  I took the disc home with me.  I was home not more than 30 minutes when the on-call doctor at my practice called and told me that there is a mass in my head, which had all the markings of being benign.  Since the office was closed, she told me to head into the ER to get checked out.

I ended up being admitted overnight and scared out of my mind.  After I saw the neurosurgeon during rounds the next day, I was released and told to get a few consults in Philadelphia asap.  The further up the chain of neurosurgeans I got, the less worried they seemed.  With a 2.9 cm tumor and being only 33 I assumed that I would opt for surgery.  But, Dr. Grady at HUP recommended Gamma Knife and Dr. Andrews at Jeff recommended fractionated stereotactic radiation on a Novalis machine.  I liked Dr. Andrews a lot better and he cited a better chance of success on my tumor, which at 2.9 cms is at the edge of what Gamma Knife can do.  According to Dr. Andrews, the fractionated approach (25-30 sessions) has a better track record of successfully killing larger tumors.

I started my 26 sessions of radiation on Monday and, quite frankly, it's a lot harder than I thought it would be.  I think that I'm coming down with a virus my almost-5 year-old is just getting over, so that may be complicating things.  Right now I'm feeling headaches, nausea and fatigue.   I'm trying to take it day by day and see how things go, but of course, I worry that the symptoms will only get worse.  I have been working a few hours in the afternoon after I'm back from treatment, but it's a real struggle.

Jean
Jean
2.9 cm AN on left side diagnosed 9/9/2010
Finished 26 sessions of fractionated stereotactic radiation on 11/22/2010
Symptoms of increased intracranial pressure since summer of 2010. Trying to determine if related to AN.  Some good doctors say yes, some good doctors say no.

Kaybo

Re: Introduction
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2010, 08:34:34 pm »
Jean~
Welcome to the group that none of us REALLY want to be part of...but if you have to, it is a GREAT one to be in!  While not many of us are actual, medically trained physicians, we have a lot to offer from the patient (or care-giver) perspective.  Please make yourself at home and feel free to ask us anything or just vent a little...I know that is why I am here - to try to help make your journey a little easier!

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

questions?586

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2010, 08:51:26 pm »
Hi Jean:

I'm sorry you're not feeling so well.  Hang in there!  It sounds like you're under good care.

I haven't been treated yet and am in the watch and be anxious stage.

Starr
AN 1.4 cm x 1.7 cm x 1.0 cm
fair amount of hearing loss right ear
diagnosed 7/29/10

I'm a fun and reasonable RN, now living far from appropriate medical care. Feeling overwhelmed!

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2010, 07:40:32 am »
Jean .....

Adding my welcome to this forum of caring, supportive friends.  Thanks for filling us in with your history.  It makes it easier to understand what you are going through during treatment.

Your really have your hands full with three little ones and a full-time job, to say nothing of having an AN on top of it all.  My concern is that you have sufficient help to assist you in taking care of your own body right now.  That needs to be top priority in order to heal quickly during and following the treatments.

Many thoughts and prayers.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

sunfish

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2010, 08:01:10 am »
Welcome! I'll say it before and I'll say it again, ASK FOR HELP during the difficult treatment period.  At least in my life, I've always had friends/acquaintances who say "Well, if there's anything I can do for you . . . "  During my CK treatments, I decided to take these folks up on their offers, and it was very beneficial.  I hope you have some folks in your life who can step up to the plate and help you at home with kids and at work as well.

Don't know about how FSR affects you, but CK took me out of commission for a couple weeks, that's for sure.

Let us know how it's going for you.  Take care!
Rt. side 14mm x 11mm near brain stem
Severe higher frequency hearing loss
I use a hearing aid (Dot 20 by Resound)
Balance issues improving!!!!
Cyberknife March17, 2010
Roper Hospital Cancer Center, Charleston, SC

Lizard

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2010, 10:03:20 am »
i just wanted to welcome you to the forum, you've received some great advice already, but one thing I can't stress enough is listen to your body!  When its telling you to slow down...try to take it easy.
Hang in there and please let us know how the remainder of the treatment goes.
Liz
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2010, 12:19:27 pm »
Hi, Jean - and welcome.  Thanks for taking the time to register and post.

I'm a 'veteran' of FSR (26 sessions) and had a positive experience (no headaches, nausea or fatigue) but I can sympathize with the struggle you're having.  I was retired at the time I underwent my radiation treatment so that made it easier, although I felt as if I could have went to work, had it been necessary.  However, if you're having this much trouble, you may want to consider taking some time off, if that is feasible.  Perhaps the virus you suspect you've caught is the culprit that is making you feel unwell, but whatever the cause, you do need to take care of yourself during the FSR sessions, so a hiatus from work may be a reasonable resolution to your physical maladies.  I certainly hope you feel better, soon, and that you'll continue to share your experiences,here. 

Jim

4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

dalern

• My glass is always half full
    • www.dalebarnesrn.com
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2010, 04:41:36 pm »
Hi Jean,
Welcome to the Forum.  You will get wonderful support here from folks who have been down this road before you.  It's wonderfully welcoming and comforting.  Hope things only get better for you.
~Dale
Dale Barnes, RN, MSN, CLNC
Tarzana, CA
1998 Sudden Onset Idiopathic Sensorineural  hearing loss diagnosed at House Ear Institute, Los Angeles
BAHA June 30, 2010 Dr. Jeffrey Harris UCSD San Diego

cakulmom

• My Son-My Inspiration
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2010, 08:20:29 am »
Wow--you have a lot to handle!  I don't know what your doctors told you about fatigue, but I remember last year, my 24-year-old son endured 6 weeks of brain radiation for his glioblastoma multiforme (a very malignant tumor).  He became more and more fatigued as the weeks went on.  That may or may not be your experience.  Everyone differs.

Upon completion,we took him on vacation, which helped a bit, though he then had to start chemotherapy.  At any rate, I would imagine you are the kind of woman who does not like to be "down."  Me either.  Know that this will pass and you will come out the other side a stronger person, both physically and mentally. Aforementioned son is back in medical school with still clear MRIs.   And, there are always worse things...keep that in mind and keep a positive attitude.  And have your husband take you on vacation to celebrate the completion of your treatment!!
Age: 61 on Jan. 4.  Retrosigmoid for 2.2 cm AN on Nov. 30, 2010. Loyola-Leonetti & Anderson.
SSD left AN side.
There is nothing "benign" about this tumor.

kareno

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2010, 11:32:34 am »

Jean:  Take care of yourself and take it one day at a time!  You are in my thoughts and prayers!

Karen
Caregiver:  Husband 3.0cm diagnosed 1/10, Retrosigmoid Surgery 4/10 Tufts Medical CTR Boston, Dr. Carl Heilman-Exceptional Surgeon

Keeping Up

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2010, 06:36:45 pm »
Hello Jean, and welcome (I guess)

Can't offer my guidance - other than I am a mom of four, no babies anymore as my youngest is a BIG 3 year old now.  I am 38 years old (so at 36 at diagnosis I was one of the younger ones here!).  I am also a working mom, not a lawyer!

I have a teeney weeny little tumor that causes me no ill will (save hearing loss - I don't hear anyone cry at night so I sleep beautifully!).  I am W&W.

Take care of yourself - you have a bit of a road ahead of you.  We have several moms of young children on this site, some radiation types and some surgery types, and many with your size of tumor (thankfully I am not a 'peer', at least not yet!) so you can great feedback from them.

Welcome, again.

Ann
dx Dec/08 - 5mm x 8mm AN
'watch and wait'