Author Topic: Headaches...  (Read 9415 times)

amn70

Re: Headaches...
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2006, 02:51:18 pm »
Staypoz--please let me know how the next procedure you have goes. I am already experiencing neck and head pain again and am a little frustrated at this point (not the end of the world but just wish the pain would subside already). Thank you.

Janet

• Janet Sherwood Photography
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2006, 08:21:52 pm »
Does anyone have any information on this?

The Skull Base Institute (Dr Shahinian)  is doing a procedure for Trigeminal Neuralgia which I think is a cousin of whatever we seem to have, but worse as it is triggered by eating or brushing teeth. Only TM involves the 5th cranial nerve which is larger.  I think we have something similar going on with the 8th cranial nerve. (Entrapement or too close to a blood vessel?)  Click on Trigeminal neuralgia and see if the description of pain sounds familiar, but in a different place. They also do AN surgery there. I wonder how they treat their post AN patients with headaches.

Here is a link for the Skull Base Institute.        http://www.skullbaseinstitute.com/ 

I looked at this site because someone sent me an article (both e-mail and hard copy) from the paper about a local woman with trigeminal neuralgia who had this procedure done there. It was titled, "The Miracle I was looking for". After 15 years she was pain free.

It sounds like some of us are getting some relief but nothing permanent or complete. I keep this article by my computer for a little hope and inspiration.
Surgical removal of 1 cm x .8 cm x .6 AN on 4/2004.

Larry

• Scallywags Rule
    • Chronologer of the PBW
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2006, 09:00:33 pm »
Thanks Janet,

Jamie posted something on this a while back if my rotten memory is correct.

laz
2.0cm AN removed Nov 2002.
Dr Chang St Vincents, Sydney
Australia. Regrowth discovered
Nov 2005. Watch and wait until 2010 when I had radiotherapy. 20% shrinkage and no change since - You beauty
Chronologer of the PBW
http://www.frappr.com/laz

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2006, 09:15:50 am »
Hi Ray,

I am in the same boat as you regarding suffering from severe post-operative headaches and severe pain alongside my head where the incision hooks around. I had a 1.5 cm AN removed in Jan. 2005 via translab method and also had FSR in Sept. 2001 (obviously failed, hence why I had to have surgery).

Luckily, my neurosurgeon has not dismissed my pain--I have gone through several types of medications (neurontin, cymbalta, three others that I cannot remember and now tramadol). The tramadol eases the pain briefly and then we moved to cervical medial injections into my head. One injection did not provide any relief and my neurosurgeon has now referred me to a pain management doc. I had two more cervical medial injections (one into the side of my head below my incision) and the second where doctors went in through my C2 & C3 vertebrae, injecting a concentrated doseage of steriod into the alleged nerves causing my pain (they took pictures of where they inserted the needles). This procedure gave me a very brief respite from my pain (does not get rid of headaches though--only the pain alongside my incision). It was after this that I agreed to have radiofrequency ablation--a procedure that I would not recommend to the faint of heart (painful!!!!).  They go into the same area (c2 & c3 vertebrae) but this time with a probe connected to the needle. The probe produces very high heat and BURNS the alleged nerves causing the pain (docs used the pictures from my previous procedure to pinpoint exactly which nerves they injected). Obviously there are risks involved with this procedure (I had to be awake the entire time as to monitor sensory and motor functions). I am fairing okay with the side of my head feeling relief but the headaches persist (that is what we will tackle next). I will keep you posted and all the best!

Angela
Hey Angela!
If you get a few pain free moments, would you participate in the post-treat headache case histories we're putting together? Trying to find a common thread to all our difficulties so we can pass info on to our health care providers. My own neuro has never treated anyone with post AN surgery headaches before, and I know I'm not alone.
Thanks

Hope you are doing OK

Capt Deb
Ca
« Last Edit: June 07, 2006, 09:26:24 am by Captain Deb »
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2006, 09:18:45 am »
I am 2+yrs past sub-occipital removal of a 2.1cm an that left me deaf on right side.. continue having headaches that they now are telling me are migraines.. well i didnt think migraines would last days and days.. but mine do.. they have tried several narcotics, now i have started medrin(midrin)  not sure spelling which is for migraines..

they take some of the pain awy.. but only lessen it.. withing 3-4 hrs taking it.. it is back.. they are single sided, throbbing, make me dizzy, nautious, put on the sunglasses in the clouds headaches.. from what i read they seem to be migraines..

no one acknowledes that they are side effect of the surgery.. any ideas on pain releif anyone has found.. so i can kick dr in the knee and get him moving on it...   any and all suggestions are welcome

Hey Ray,
We are compiling some post AN surgica headachel case histories  --would love to have your input
Thanks,
Capt Deb
« Last Edit: June 07, 2006, 09:25:37 am by Captain Deb »
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

amn70

« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2006, 10:17:35 am »
Capt Deb,

I would be happy to participate. You can e-mail me at amn70@yahoo.com
with information. I, too, hope you're hanging in there and I am grateful to everyone's support and input. Have a good day.

Angela

staypoz

« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2006, 10:51:53 am »
amn70, I will keep you posted. 

It was amazing to me how much the trigger point injections helped.  You can get them with or without steroids.  (I am getting them without, because apparently the steroid injections can break down your skin if you have them often enough.)  There were so many knots in my neck that have just disappeared.  The combination of the shots and the nerve blocks allowed me to reclaim at least a part of my life back, which is what I think we are all striving for among the various remedies available.  What I don't know yet is how long-lasting the effects will be.

Hang in there and please continue to share your experience with the ablation.

Janet

• Janet Sherwood Photography
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2006, 12:22:01 pm »
It seems that one of the advantages of a trigger point injection is that your won't get any stomach or fatigue side effects. Botox injections have the same advantage. They treat the problem locally and leave the rest of the body alone.  Maybe Capt Deb could be better treated at a pain clinic?

For those wondering where to go for help,

Pain Clinics are more apt to give the trigger point injections because they are usually staffed with anesthesiologists and this is what they are skilled at and trained to do.

Headache clinics are more likely to treat with medication. This includes Botox injections into the muscle groups to relieve muscle tension. (Botox is not covered by most insurances for headaches, yet.  I've read that it is approved for some neck conditions.)

Both places overlap on their treatments so this is a "in general" description.  I worked in a hospital for 23 years (RN) and know that different specialties carry different types of malpractice insurance, so I suspect this plays into the different treatment approaches. (You need the training to be eligible for specialty coverage.)

It seems that there are so many variables as to which one works best. I am so happy to hear of people's experience with both places of treatment to help with figuring out where to go.  I think it can be confusing as to where to go for help. It's like a medical maze.

Surgical removal of 1 cm x .8 cm x .6 AN on 4/2004.

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2006, 12:29:06 pm »
  For those with chronic headaches.  Here's an interesting site, where a Dentist (!?) has put togther a web based questionaire to diagnose headache problems. http://headachesearch.com/    I have no idea whether he knows what he's doing or not, but it may be entertaining or give you some ideas to talk with your doctor about.
Regards,
 Rob
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

Static

« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2006, 08:32:20 pm »
I have had headaches both before and after my AN surgery and my gp doctor and my neurosurgeon both told me they are not an related.  I have pressed the issue though, and was told to go to the headache clinic in the city, which i never did, but tried many different meds through another neurologist and nothing I tried was helping.  I would eventually end up with rebound headaches from any pain meds and the other things, beta blockers, and meds like topomax (however they are classed) honestly never really helped me.  I also have complained of constant, daily, headaches only to have it dismissed.  Guess I should be pressing harder about.  Just been dealing with it because messing around with different meds is sometimes more trouble than it's worth.  I did find that an ice pack on my head helps immensely but I would look kinda weird walking around like that and it's not fun on your butt all the time cuz of headaches.  So far I'm just dealing, time will tell. 
3.5cm AN removed 1-21-04
CSF leak repaired 5/04
SSD Right