Author Topic: Anyone a runner before AN surgery?  (Read 2563 times)

kaitysmom

Anyone a runner before AN surgery?
« on: October 26, 2010, 06:47:03 am »
And if you were how long was it before you started running after surgery?  I know I won't be doing any running for 6-8 weeks but what about after that?  :(

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Anyone a runner before AN surgery?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2010, 07:44:03 am »
I was never a runner but several people who have posted on this forum are, so hopefully they will chime in soon.

In the meantime, Keri is a runner and stoneaxe is a standup paddleboarder.  Do a search on their user names or the word marathon and you can find some threads related to resuming strenuous activity.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

kenneth_k

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2010, 08:35:08 am »
I started running again 6 weeks after surgery. Only 3 km at a time and very slowly.
After 3 months, the distance was 5-6 km, 6 monts, I was back in excellent shape, 1 year, I did ½ marathon in 1 hour and 45 minutes.

Unfortunately, I had a CSF leak 5 months ago and my stamina is down the drain again.

But I know I can get back in shape if I can find the time and energy.

Chances are that you can physically fit after some months.

Best regards, Kenneth

cindyj

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2010, 08:37:48 am »
Hi!  I was not a runner prior to sugery, but became one (well, a slow one ;) ) after surgery...started training for 1/2 marathon couple of months after surgery.  Started back playing league tennis about six weeks post op.  The running was actually easier than tennis due to all the head movement involved in tennis.  A good number of people report that it is easier to run post op than it is to walk - odd, but I agree!  As Clarice shared, Keri is a good example of one of our runners - she did a full marathon not too long after her surgery!  Bob (stoneaxe) is incredible on his standup paddle board!  And, Patrick has done some amazing miles on his bike post op.  Many others doing awesome feats as well.  If you go to this thread, you can see a number of post op activity stories:   http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=11646.0

You will back at it very quickly, I'm sure!  Take care,

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

kaitysmom

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2010, 10:00:26 am »
Awesome!  ;D  I just finished the Army 10 Miler and have done a half marathon.  I've got a marathon on my mind for next year and wasn't sure if anyone else did one so quickly after surgery.  I'll do a search on "marathon".  Now, this is exciting to hear!

Adrienne

• I'm a postie now, and it feels so much better!
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2010, 01:39:09 pm »
Was a runner before surgery (right up to surgery) and was back running at the 4 week mark.  Slow and steady at first, but I was fine (my cardio took a hit, but otherwise I was fine).

I haven't been running lately due to back pain and prior to that a sprained ankle (brain tumour couldn't take me out, but a rolled ankle did! Go figure).

Everyone is different obviously depending on their recovery, but please know that it is possible for you to do it again.

Adrienne
3.0 x 3.0 x 2.5 cm AN, left side.  Diagnosed Feb. 19th,2009
Retro Sig surgery with Dr. Akagami and Dr. Westerberg on May 26/09 at Vancouver General Hospital
SUCCESS! Completely removed tumor, preserved facial nerve, and retained a lot of hearing. Colour me HAPPY!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2010, 04:22:56 pm »
I was a runner long before my AN was diagnosed, but gave it up for several years.

I just recently started running again and have no issues, other than for some strange reason I can't run on a treadmill anymore.  Oh well, no great loss - as I found them boring anyway.

There are lots of runners - and other athletes - on the Forum.  Most have not had major issues post op.

Just listen to your body.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

kareno

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2010, 08:25:26 am »
My husband Mark is a runner and he had his surgery 6 months ago for a 3cm AN.  He had no complications besides an allergic reaction to steroids.  He did start back running after 8-weeks but is still not in the swing of it do to fatigue.
Caregiver:  Husband 3.0cm diagnosed 1/10, Retrosigmoid Surgery 4/10 Tufts Medical CTR Boston, Dr. Carl Heilman-Exceptional Surgeon

texsooner

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2010, 09:36:05 am »
I started back running 3 weeks after surgery, and gradually increased back to my normal distance and pace to where I did a 1/2 marathon about 4 months after surgery. I know Keri (another AN runner) actually did a whole marathon just a few months out of surgery. I would recommend to start out slow and work your way back to normal....it can definitely be done.  Good luck.

Patrick

3.5cm left side AN; 11 hour retrosigmoid surgery 8/11/08 @ Memorial Hermann, Houston - Texas Medical Center with Drs. Chang and Vollmer; home on 8/13/08;
SSD(w/tinnitus); dry eye; Happy to be here and feeling good.

Lizard

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2010, 10:34:24 am »
Everyone's recovery is different and due to bad post-op headaches I was unable to do any physical exercise for 17 months.  Finally I was put on a medication and received occipital nerve blocks that helped, and now I am back to my pre-op fitness level and feeling great!!!
Hopefully you will be able to start running shortly, but remember not to over-do it.
Liz
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt