Author Topic: question about incidence  (Read 4557 times)

Toadlee

question about incidence
« on: October 26, 2010, 09:54:57 am »
Hi everyone;
Just a question; does anyone know the incidence of AN in people with unilateral hearing loss and tinnitus? I know the incidence of AN is low in the general population, but I'm wondering of those with symptoms, how many end up with the diagnosis I have a slow PPO and getting the MRI authorized has taken a couple weeks so far.

Thanks,
Toadlee

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: question about incidence
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2010, 11:20:29 am »
Hi Toadlee and welcome to this forum .....

Pre-surgery I had 20% hearing loss and no tinnitus; post-surgery I have 80% hearing loss and much tinnitus.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Toadlee

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2010, 12:27:19 pm »
Sorry, let me rephrase the question. I know the incidence of AN in the general (asymptomatic) population is very low 1:100000. So I would have little reason to worry about being one of the rare cases. But if a person has all the classic symptoms (unilateral hearing loss, speech discrimination problems, tinnitus, etc), I would think the incidence of AN is greater. But how much greater? Still very low? Much greater? I have too much worry time while I wait for everything, and I do better with solid numbers. Thanks everyone for your answers.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2010, 02:02:36 pm »
Toadlee ~

You ask a perfectly legitimate question but I'm afraid there is no credible answer.  I doubt that doctors keep or publish records of patients presenting with AN-like symptoms that, following an MRI scan, are found to actually have an acoustic neurroma.  Perhaps this information is available but if so, I'm not aware of it.  Of course, that is not proof that it doesn't exist. 

I can tell you that occasionally a new member posts on these forums with all the symptoms usually associated with an acoustic neuroma, only to finally have the MRI scan and no AN is found!  Unfortunately, the symptoms generally seen in AN patients can be caused by other things.  This is why the MRI scan, with contrast, is the gold standard for finding an acoustic neuroma when the symptoms indicate the benign tumor may be present.  I hope you can find out soon, because I understand how the waiting can be unsettling.  Please let us know when you've received the results of the MRI scan.  Thanks.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Toadlee

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2010, 03:01:46 pm »
Thanks, Jim;
Yes, good point. I'm still waiting to schedule the MRI (it's been almost 2 weeks just for the insurance to authorize the MRI). I had all the obvious causes ruled out by the ENT, so now I'm scouting for other reasons for the symptoms. For instance, can age-related hearing loss be unilateral? My hearing loss has crept up over the last year, with no associated colds or allergies. I did hit my head though, but don't think that caused it.

Toadlee

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2010, 04:19:24 pm »
For instance, can age-related hearing loss be unilateral?

I'm not a doctor, but I'm fairly certain that it can be.

As for the possibility you have AN, the only definitive way to diagnose one - or rule it out - is an MRI, preferably with gadolinium contrast.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

PaulW

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2010, 07:43:39 pm »
I have read that symptomatic AN's occur in around 1:100000 per year
I think it is in Denmark where all people have an Austopsy.
I believe the incidence of AN in the population at death is around 1%. Most of those never have any symptoms.
Actual chances of getting a symtomatic AN in your lifetime is reasonable if you live for 80 years
I believe only around 1: 10 people reporting Single Sided hearing loss have an AN, (after excluding things like wax!)

I am not a doctor, but the numbers are available on the net.
10x5x5mm AN
Sudden Partial hearing loss 5/28/10
Diagnosed 7/4/10
CK 7/27/10
2/21/11 Swelling 13x6x7mm
10/16/11 Hearing returned, balance improved. Feel totally back to normal most days
3/1/12 Sudden Hearing loss, steroids, hearing back.
9/16/13 Life is just like before my AN. ALL Good!

kenneth_k

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2010, 09:08:08 am »
Not all people in Denmark get an autopsy. But Danish studies shows a higher incidence rate in AN's among people who do have an autopsy.
Furthermore, one Danish ENT told me that in 1000 people showing unilateral hearing loss, 1 will have an AN. I'm not sure he is correct but the conclusion is that AN is seldom.

Best regards Kenneth (from Denmark ;))

Toadlee

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2010, 12:35:05 pm »
Thanks, everyone, for your advice and thoughts. I'm still waiting for my ENT's office to call my insurance. They don't seem very motivated to do this, and they aren't very good about getting back to me. I know there's probably no hurry, but I get a bit irritable waiting around for the obvious (my insurance doesn't even require a prior authorization for MRI's) . It's been more than 2 weeks since the doctor ordered it. I'm open to any ideas on how to motivate these folks to work with me.

Toadlee

suboo73

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2010, 01:21:29 pm »
Hello and a belated welcome to the Forum.

I can't add any more to the original question.
However, i am can certainly sympathize/empathize with your frustration while waiting for insurance authorization.

You can see by my signature, i am here after misdiagnosis AND my older sister describing symptoms like i 'complained' about for more than 12 years!
I gave up on ALL the local ENT offices and went to a major medical center to get my answers.
One visit and i had the script in my hand.  Two weeks later, i had the appointment and my answers, after retrieving the report myself from my local hospital.
Now, i go to my ENT, get the MRI, and get the answers on the spot, no waiting.

I wish you speedy authorizations and answers. 

Sincerely,
Sue
suboo73
Little sister to Bigsister!
9mm X 6mm X 5mm
Misdiagnosed 12+ years?
Diagnosed Sept. 2008/MRI 4/09/MRI 12/09/MRI 1/21/11
Continued W & W

Tumbleweed

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2010, 05:32:09 pm »
Hi, Toadlee:

Nobody knows all the reasons why single-sided hearing loss and tinnitus occur, and the cases for which no reason can be found are usually lumped into the broad category of neurosensory hearing loss. I have a good friend who has single-sided hearing loss and tinnitus. He's had all sorts of tests but nobody can figure out the cause. His MRI ruled out an AN.

If your hearing loss is progressive and only in the bass frequencies, and it's accompanied by bouts of vertigo which resolve but then return, then Meniere's Disease is suspect. If yours is high-frequency hearing loss, you can rule out Meniere's. In that case, potential causes other than an AN include labyrinthitis, vestibular neuronitis, or canicular dehiscence (a physical split along the axis of the internal auditory canal). As others pointed out, however, it's all academic conjecture until you get an MRI. A picture is worth a thousand theories.

Best wishes,
TW
L. AN 18x12x9 mm @ diagnosis, 11/07
21x13x11 mm @ CK treatment 7/11/08 (Drs. Chang & Gibbs, Stanford)
21x15x13 mm in 12/08 (5 months post-CK), widespread necrosis, swelling
12x9x6 mm, Nov. 2017; shrank ~78% since treatment!
W&W on stable 6mm hypoglossal tumor found 12/08