Author Topic: 2 days Post Translab  (Read 3246 times)

sbrn

2 days Post Translab
« on: October 28, 2010, 07:50:13 am »
My husband Greg is two days postop, and he's surprising me with how well he's doing!  His biggest complaints are the compression bandage and the JP drain in his abdomen.  It's testament to his Chief (the PT nazi) that they struggled to find enough fat in his abdomen.  I told his surgeon I would have gladly voluntered for a little free lipo to help him out. 

Greg's facial nerve responded 100% normally during surgery which is also very reassuring.  He is having some defecit now from swelling and trauma.  Can't smile really and eating is proving to be a challenge.  He can't taste anything on that side or swallow everything well all the time.  Balance is a whole lot better than I expected.  He was cruising the halls yesterday.  He gets a little wobbly every once in a while and certainly can't make any fast movements.  The whole head nod thing is really not enjoyable for him.  He's also having blood sugar spikes from the steroids which is resulting in insulin injections several times a day.  All in all I'm very impressed with his progression and the amount of mobility he has already.  As a nurse, I was expecting more of a true neuro patient.  We found out that this hospital was one of the first to specialize in AN treatment, so he is definitely in good hands!
Husband diagnosed 7/10 with 1.2 x 1.1cm AN
Translab 26 Oct 10
Baptist medical center Nashville TN

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: 2 days Post Translab
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2010, 03:28:22 pm »
Sbrn ~

Thanks for the update on Greg.  It seems as if his recovery will go well although, as you're both discovering, there are always some minor deficits and/or obstacles to deal with when recovering from AN surgery.  I had a fantastic recovery but still had to endure some small annoyances and did a lot of self-directed PT to get back to a relatively normal state.  However, I came through fine so don't make any judgments based on the first few days or weeks post-op, because, in almost every case, things improve over time.  For now, continue to be grateful for Greg's solid recovery and look forward to his getting back to normalcy, one day at a time.  We'll look forward to accounts of Greg's progress.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

sbrn

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2010, 06:39:17 pm »
Thanks so much!  This site has really been a godsend for both of us.  Honest real personal information, not just the medical straight and narrow.  Greg's JP was pulled today and the bandage in coming off in the morning.  We actually are getting to go home tomorrow!  He's so ready to go home, and I'm hoping he'll finally be able to get some rest.  We'll keep posting updates....
Translab 26 Oct 10

cin605

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2010, 06:43:55 pm »
Welcome to the other side.....remember the first 3 days he probly will not recall.
Glad to hear all is going well...keep up the good work.
Look forward to more updates.
2cm removed retrosig 6/26/08
DartmouthHitchcock medical center lebanon,N.H.
43yrs old

moe

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2010, 11:02:31 pm »
Wow,
He really is doing well. Home on post op day #3????
Now he can go home and get some real rest. I'm sure you'll "nurse" him well, and encourage lots of rest and naps with walks in between.
Some days will be great, and then he may notice he's extra tired the next day. It's normal. The two steps forward, one step backward phenomenon.
Just have him listen to his body cues.
Congrats on a very successful surgery!
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

GramaSuby

• "Lost my muchness have I"? ALICE IN WONDERLAND
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2010, 12:08:44 am »

As a new postie myself ( 1 month today ) I welcome you to the club :) What a relief he is home safe and sound!
Keep it up but don't over do it too quick

Sue
Diagnosed Nov 08  w/ 14x13x14mm left AN. Translab on 9/30/10 w/ Dr's Mattox & Olson at Emory University Hosp. in Atlanta.  Post surgery complications were meningitis & pneumonia. Hospitalized for 12 days, zero memory for the first 5.

sbrn

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2010, 06:42:28 am »
LOL, telling Greg to take it easy and rest doesn't work.  He's the kind of person that can't sit still, and the surgery hasn't slowed him down much.  He was walking all over the house yesterday testing out his balance on carpet, on the deck, etc.  I don't think he took a single nap, despite my urging.  He's a determined man!  He even jokingly (but I think he was halfway serious) suggested that I take him out on his boat today.  After pushing it a little too much, he's sore and tired today.  Hoping he'll take it easy and nap today.
Translab 26 Oct 10

Mei Mei

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2010, 07:35:11 am »
Welcome to the world of Postie ville!    You've really got to encourage him to take one day at a time and at least take afternoon naps as a routine.   That's something that really helped me.  I wish I had time for an afternoon nap now that I am 10 months postie. 
Remember to tell him "Baby Steps" at least for 6 weeks!

Take care,
Mei Mei
1 cm Tumor RetrosigmoidSurgery on Jan 12 at Johns Hopkins
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo
35dB loss pre surgery and now SSD
Post surgical Headaches and Tinnitus
Dr Ducic Georgetown Excision Surgery May 2011
Dr. Schwartz GW  Titanium Mesh  March 2012
Drs Kalhorn/Baker, Georgetown Removal of Titanium Mesh

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2010, 08:33:54 am »
The early days in the hospital are usually tough and a lot of what Greg experienced many of us have gone through - although I never had a drain for my fat graft.

Sounds like Greg's recovery is going quite well and I'm confident he's happy to be home.

He should make progress each and every day and the more he walks the better for his balance.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2010, 11:59:00 am »
LOL, telling Greg to take it easy and rest doesn't work.  He's the kind of person that can't sit still, and the surgery hasn't slowed him down much.  He was walking all over the house yesterday testing out his balance on carpet, on the deck, etc.  I don't think he took a single nap, despite my urging.  He's a determined man!  He even jokingly (but I think he was halfway serious) suggested that I take him out on his boat today.  After pushing it a little too much, he's sore and tired today.  Hoping he'll take it easy and nap today.

sbrn ~

Your husband's initial recovery experience reflects my own.  Because I'm a 'Type A' personality and was blessed with few post-op complications, I was gung-ho to 'get my (normal) life back' as soon as possible.  I overdid it a few times but never had a real setback, except for being easily fatigued, which lessened as the weeks rolled by.  Greg does need to avoid pushing so hard that he hampers his recovery, but I can certainly sympathize with his desire to resume his normal activities.  If he overdoes it, as he has, he'll soon know it and, one hopes, make the necessary adjustments.  This is what I did.  My wife was often a bit skeptical of my decisions and sometimes she was correct, but it worked out fine.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.