Author Topic: Hair Cut  (Read 5723 times)

kraynok2

Hair Cut
« on: November 02, 2010, 07:36:03 pm »
I will be having translab surgery on November 16.  My hair is almost shoulder length.  I was wondering if I should get a short haircut before the surgery.  Did any of you have your hair cut before the surgery?  I've been considering a new hairdo before I was diagnosed, but like to put my hair into a pony tail.  What do you all think?   ???  Sandy from WV

cindyj

Re: Hair Cut
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2010, 07:53:24 pm »
Hi, Sandy!  We are asked this question a good bit, but no need to cut your hair unless you just want to...you'll find that very little is cut for the surgery.  My hair is fairly long and you could not tell anything was missing after the surgery.  Well, except once I started playing tennis again a couple of months post op and needed to put my hair in a ponytail.  Then, you could tell if you really looked that some of it was quite short, but I was way beyond caring about it - was just very glad to be getting back to normal :D  You'll find it grows back very quickly!

Let us know if you have any other questions and best to you on the 16th!

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Funnydream

• Texas in my room crying. Guys can't cry. DARN IT.
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2010, 07:59:22 pm »
I'm not a Doctor but from what I understand. Translab is a cut right behind your ear.

The nurse will shave what is needed to be shaved.

Let me tell you how things went with myself.

Since I was going to have retro approach I was going to have my whole head buzzed with a number 1 burr cut. The day before my surgery I was called by the Doctors nurse that I was canceled do to Doctor emergency operation. I was 15 min from going to get my head buzzed.

The next week. I still wanted to get a buzz. But when I called the nurse she said I was still on. But the Doctor was backed up from the week before. So I was thinking that I will prob get canceled again. When I showed up I was put threw the paces and was thinking that I messed up not getting a buzz. But the Doctor walked up to me while I was ready to be wheeled in. I even had that stupid legs things on. And a IV thing in me. He said he had been up all night and he was very tired and pleaded with me to let him go home. So I told him to go home to his wife.

A week after that the nurses said they pushed everything off the table to make sure I get in. I didn't trust anything at that point so I did NOT get a buzz.
I did go in and the Doctor said things are going to happen. I asked like 5 times to get my whole head shaved. They told me that will probably not happen. And they only shaved what was needed to be shaved.

I was in for 2 1/2 weeks before going home. The next day after I got home. I had my hair girl wash up with anti-microbe soap and buzz my head.

I hope what I went threw can help.

P. S. Don't forget your chapstick. Its like gold.

Age 42, AN left, 2.8cm
left hearing gone, balance getting better.
16 hour Surgery 9-27-10 CSF leak fix 10-4-10 3 hours
Miracle I feel my left face and tongue again.
If we evolved from monkeys into humans? When do we stop being human and become something else? What would that something else be?

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2010, 12:55:26 pm »
Hi Sandy,

I had trans lab over five years ago.  My hair was fairly short, so the spot showed....I really didn't care.  The only thing I can think of with having long hair is the fact that it is a while before you can shampoo your hair and long hair gets "gunky" and tangled.  Others with long hair will weigh in on this I am sure.  Good luck!  I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers and soon you will be a postie!
Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2010, 02:54:19 pm »
Sandy .....

I know others will add to this.  Much depends upon the particular surgeon as to how much hair is shaved ..... some virtually none and others quite a swath.  Most of us found that in either case, your remaining hair falls down across it and covers the area ...... to the point that most people cannot even see where your scar is after you are allowed to shampoo.  My vote would be to not cut it until afterwards and then you can decide which you want to do.

There are several pictures on the forum of post-op scars ..... if you are brave enough to look at them.  (I'm glad I did not see them before surgery ..... it can be a bit disconcerting, unless you already know about what it would look like.)

See you Saturday.  Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

cindyj

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2010, 03:44:40 pm »
Me again...Brenda makes a very good point about how yucky the hair gets post op and long hair can be even yuckier (Jim, is that a word :D *).  The day after I was out of the hospital, I went to a salon and had my hair washed and dried...yes, the stiches were still there - she was very careful to avoid the area.  It was absolutely heavenly!  Did more for my recovery than anything else!

Others have come up with very clever ways to wash their hair post op - I just wasn't brave enough to try it myself.  There's always that dry powder stuff, and the like, as well.  But, I stick with my opinion that you shouldn't cut your hair unless you want to - I wouldn't do it just because of the surgery :)

cindy

* Yes.  It's a variant of the adjective 'yucky' meaning unpleasant, repugnant.  J.S.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 04:01:26 pm by Jim Scott »
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

kraynok2

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2010, 06:47:51 pm »
Thanks to everyone for offering their thoughts.  My hair is not only fine, but also on the thin side.  I need to get it trimmed and shaped up.  So I'll thnik about a new "do", but in the meantime, just get it in shape.  The last cut my beautician did was not the best she usually does, so there are areas that need trimmed.  My mom has already been checking on the powdered shampoo. lol   :D  I know I will be afraid of getting an infection.  But I will find out my doctor's recommendations soon enough.  Sandy

tweety

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2010, 08:12:52 pm »
Sandy, I had the same surgeons and you  couldn't tell they even cut a small strip of hair along the incision line.  My hair is chin length and Dr. Chen told me not to get my hair cut before the surgery as they would part my hair and they wax it away from the incison line.  It was amazing, once the drain was removed the next day, you couldn't see my incision line much. It is also amazing that there is little pain post op.  I only needed tylenol and I was quite apprehensive about this and happy not to have alot of discomfort. Be POSITIVE and know you are in great hands  Nancy (Tweety)

opp2

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2010, 07:34:31 pm »
Sandy, I had the same surgeons and you  couldn't tell they even cut a small strip of hair along the incision line.  My hair is chin length and Dr. Chen told me not to get my hair cut before the surgery as they would part my hair and they wax it away from the incison line.  It was amazing, once the drain was removed the next day, you couldn't see my incision line much. It is also amazing that there is little pain post op.  I only needed tylenol and I was quite apprehensive about this and happy not to have alot of discomfort. Be POSITIVE and know you are in great hands  Nancy (Tweety)

Ditto..I had a thin line, about 1/4 inch along the incision. The hair was glued down away to the sides of the incision. It took me about 3 weeks to get all the gunk out of my hair. I have shoulder length, thick curly hair so I tie it up all the time.

All the best!
Diagn Apr 14 2009 with 2.5 cm lt AN. - numbness in the face and sudden onset headaches accompanied by balance issues. Consults with Drs in S Ontario, California (House) and Vancouver. Picked Dr. Akagami in BC.
Retrosigmoid July 6, 2010, 3.0cm by then. SSD left, no other significant side effects.

Lizard

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2010, 09:25:21 am »
I did not cut my hair prior to surgery either, and I was thankful.  I had retrosigmoid approach and they shaved A LOT of hair.  After the initial ickiness (for me was 3 weeks due to a CSF leak) I was thankful I had long hair to cover the shaved spots.
Liz
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

cin605

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2010, 12:58:43 pm »
I did not cut mine.....below my shoulders...just did a side ponytail for about 3 weeks to keep other hair from annoying incision.It was gupey for about a week.....That first shampoo is heaven.
2cm removed retrosig 6/26/08
DartmouthHitchcock medical center lebanon,N.H.
43yrs old

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2010, 03:18:53 pm »
Hi, just wanted to say I decided to have my hair cut short I didn't ask the surgeons as to what they would be doing so I figured I cut it and get use to it being short prior to the surgery and of course there was no need they just shaved where they made the incision and if I had kept my hair long it would have been just fine.

Best Wishes,

Pat
Diagnosed with a 1 cm. AN had Retrosigmoid
Approach surgery July of 2009, several problems after surgery.

DR

• Dennis vs. The Tumor
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2010, 10:51:21 am »
I had my kids cut my hair shortly before I left for California.  They are still young and I thought it was a good way to "get them involved" in a fun, nonthreatening manner.  But my procedure was middle fossa, so nearly one whole side of my noggin was going to get shaved anyways!

- Dennis
AN right side 12mm x 9mm x 9mm
Middle fossa surgery 11/4/09 at House (Dr. Brackmann/Dr. Schwartz)
Tumor removed, no facial issues, hearing intact!
http://denvstumor.blogspot.com/

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist."

kraynok2

Re: Hair Cut: Update
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2010, 01:42:13 pm »
I ended up not getting my hair cut.  Dr. Chen only cut a small portion that the rest of my hair covers up.  I was ready for all the gunky, waxy hair everyone mentioned, but to my surprise, I did not have any wax.  I don't know how my hair was held back, but I did not have wax.  One day in the hospital I asked a nurse if there was anything we could do for my messy hair.  She brought in a heated cap (like a shower cap) with something in it.  I had to rub my head while it was on, which made my hair wet.  I then combed it, straight of course.  It wasn't as good as washing my hair, but it sure felt better to be able to do something with it.   :D  Sandy