Author Topic: Dr Friedman and I on the news tonight...  (Read 9890 times)

cindyj

Re: Dr Friedman and I on the news tonight...
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2010, 11:45:03 am »
Thanks so much for sharing this, Kris!  I did see the House Calls article just yesterday - it was awesome also.  Knew just who that Canadian was that they were referring to - I had a similar call from that Canadian ;)  What a story you had! 

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2010, 11:50:02 am »
Very cool!  Nice story, great outcome, brave patient.  Darling baby boy, too!   And yeah, you had a monster in there.  Wow.  So glad for a happy ending.

Sue in Vancouver, USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2010, 12:43:46 pm »
Kris ~

Thanks for sharing the ABC TV video - starring you!  Not only do you have a fascinating AN story with a happy ending (healthy baby , AN-free mom) but you've helped publicize the problems brought on by an acoustic neuroma.  Well done!  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2010, 06:18:24 am »
Wow, Kris!  A celebrity in our midst  ;D

Wonderful story.  I passed the link along to a doctor we know  ;)

Can't wait to see the printed article.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Lizard

« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2010, 09:09:02 am »
Awesome Kris!  I also shared the link on FB with my friends.  They all know what I have been through so I thought the education from your journey might give them a new appreciation. 
(thanks to the Capt for posting it as well)

Liz
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

nteeman

• Back to Mono
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2010, 11:51:42 am »
What a great video, about you and Acoustic Neuromas!  Glad I watched it.

Neal
Diagnosed 12/16/2008
AN 2.4 X 2.0 X 1.6 CM
surgery performed on 1/27/2009 Mt. Sinai Hospital, NYC
Dr.Bederson & Dr. Smouha
9:30am thru 5:50pm
http://www.facebook.com/neal.teeman

Mickey

« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2010, 06:24:32 pm »
Touched my heart! May God bless you going into a beautiful future, Mickey

ksiwek

« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2010, 07:31:13 pm »
Thanks everyone for the kinds words!  I told the PR rep for House that they can use my story however they see fit.  I told them that it is more than worth my time to raise awareness about ANs, hearing loss and of course my fantastic docs  ;D  I know that they are actively working on other media outlets.  I will be sure to post anything that comes up!

Donnalynn,  I can mail you a copy if you PM me your address.  Otherwise you can call House and request a free copy.  You can sign up to begin receiving the newsletter (free) going forward as well.  Let me know!  On a side note:  You always say the sweetest things...but know that you really shaped my journey and happy ending.  You know the emotional roller coaster I was on and talked me off the ledge several times.  You could never know just how much I appreciated the support during the most stressful and scary time of my life.  Not only did you support my whole family, but you helped arrange support in LA...from Canada!!!  I can honestly say that you are one of the most amazing women I have had the pleasure to know in my life!

Jan!  I see Dr B next week to see how my BAHA wound is shaping up.  I will ask him if he got a chance to view it...he (like it or not  :P) will be a part of any update to my story!
Translab 6/4/10 for 4+ cm left AN.  Drs Friedman and Schwartz at HEI saved my life!
BAHA surgery on 10/7/10 with Dr Battista of Chicago Ear Institute (Oticon Ponto Pro)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2010, 12:10:36 pm »
Kris -

I don't think Dr. B will mind being part of any updates on your story.

From what I know of him, I think he'll be honored.

Please give him my best when you see him  ;D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2010, 08:38:44 pm »
Great Story! Thanks for sharing.

You know I have chatted to many women, who also had AN tumors, who testify they have had multiple miscarriages in their past... I think the brainstem being impacted may have much to do with it...

Only 2 of my 8 pregnancies made it to full term. (Nevertheless 2 beautiful kids I have) I wonder if there have been any studies on this...

You and you baby are just beautiful. Very touching story.

Thanks again for posting.

DHM
4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

kraynok2

« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2010, 08:53:30 pm »
Kris,
  That was a great story.  My brother lives in Bakersfield, CA. and had never heard of acoustic neuromas or of the House Cliinic.  I had been researching and read about House.  I told him what I was finding.  I had thought of going to House, but living in West Virginia, my husband and I hoped to find something closer. (Which we did and I will be having translab Nov. 16 in Pittsburgh, Pa.) Anyhow, the strange thing is, my brother e-mailed me and said they got a House magazine in the mail and your stoy was in it.  He copied it and e-mailed it to me.  I read it with great interest.  You really went through a lot and I am so glad things are going so well for you.  It was just so weird that he got that in the mail at this time when I just found out I had one.  Good luck to you from now on.  I looked at your pictures of Parker and he is adorable.
Sandy

opp2

« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2010, 09:33:27 pm »
Y'a done good Kid. Sweet baby boy...
Diagn Apr 14 2009 with 2.5 cm lt AN. - numbness in the face and sudden onset headaches accompanied by balance issues. Consults with Drs in S Ontario, California (House) and Vancouver. Picked Dr. Akagami in BC.
Retrosigmoid July 6, 2010, 3.0cm by then. SSD left, no other significant side effects.

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2010, 01:03:45 pm »
I must add this post to those to visit when at library as slow connection giving me nothing ...

education of the public as to what ANs are can only be good for us all ... glad your story has been told ...

beautiful baby and beautiful mom ...
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2010, 07:45:48 pm »
I posted the link on facebook, too--such a great story and Dr Rick was my doc, too.  Congrats on your little bundle of joy!

Capt Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2010, 07:11:05 am »
Kris

Congrats for helping to bring a face and voice to AN's...... well done! :)

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"