Author Topic: Maybe I'm in trouble again.  (Read 6446 times)

kenneth_k

Maybe I'm in trouble again.
« on: November 04, 2010, 12:47:33 pm »
Hello everyone.

I need your advice. I felt sick twice.... Up to the time when the AN was discovered, and up to the time when I developed a CSF leak.
Now I feel sick again and I'm going to see a doctor on monday. What should I ask him?

I've been under a lot of pressure at work and many symptoms could be stress related.

On the other hand, all my MRI's says I have a Cavum Septum Pelucidum cyst in the ventricles. It should be harmless but now I'm afraid it causes intermittent increased intracranial pressure.

My symptoms are nausea when waking, pulsating feeling in the head when lying down, needles in the hands/feet when lying down, popping ears and imbalance. Sounds like hangovers, but without attending any party :(

Any comment is welcome, including good luck ;)

Keneth
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 12:06:21 pm by kenneth_k »

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Maybe I'm in trouble again.
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2010, 12:52:25 pm »
Kenneth ~

First, I'm sorry to learn of these recently emerged symptoms.  Second, I have no idea why you're experiencing them.  Third, I'm not a doctor and so, I can't offer any credible explanation.  Fourth, good luck and whatever the exact cause of the new symptoms, I hope it can be discovered and addressed without much trauma. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2010, 03:07:42 pm »
Kenneth .....

I, as well, have no idea if these renewed symptoms are cause for concern or not.  It sounds like you have had way more than your share of AN-related issues.  Glad you are going to the doctor soon ..... you need answers quickly.

Best thoughts and many, many prayers.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

moe

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2010, 07:30:29 pm »
Kenneth,
So sorry to hear about not feeling good....again :(
Just make sure your doctor hears ALL your symptoms. Maybe write or print them up in big bold letters. That's  a variety of symptoms.
I don't even know what a Cavum Septum Pelucidum cyst is! Will have to google that.
Sorry again, and good luck on Monday.
Hang in there......
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

kenneth_k

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2010, 06:00:44 am »
Thank you. I will try to remain calm. A difficult task at best.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2010, 06:04:38 am »
Thank you. I will try to remain calm. A difficult task at best.

Kenneth -

if it helps at all, please remember that we are in your corner and are hoping for the best. 

Good luck on Monday.  Please keep us updated.

Prayers and good thoughts,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2010, 06:13:32 am »
Yeah, you know how this whole thing works....you get worked up about something, and that just adds to the stress...but in the end there's not a lot you can do about anything until you find out what's going on.  You've seen many newbies on here, and the most common response to their inquiries is "Breathe easy and stay calm". Please do that! Take care and let us know how it goes!
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

Lizard

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2010, 09:21:40 am »
Kenneth,
I'm sorry to hear about your new symptoms, hopefully its nothing, but I'm sure going to see the Dr is the best option. 
Hang in there and please let us know what you discover, and hopefully its nothing.  ???
Try to stay positive as the stress you are feeling is only going to exacerbate things.
Liz 

Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

kenneth_k

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2010, 09:33:41 am »
Hello everyone.

Boy I'm out of luck. My military doctor thinks I'm suffering from anxiety and depression. He was not knowledgeable about symptoms of intermittent increased intracranial pressure. He actually suggested that we tried to google it >:(

Now I have to go to my GP next monday to get her to get me an appointment for a neurological examination. If the results are increased pressure - I'm in trouble. If not - I have anxiety and depression and I'm in trouble. :'(

I don't know how this will end but it will take some time for clarification.

Kenneth
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 01:42:10 pm by kenneth_k »

Lizard

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2010, 11:46:33 am »
Kenneth,
Its possible you might have depression, and many of us have experienced this post-op, especially since you've had surgery and also have the cyst, but I don't know why the Dr discounted the pressure and symptoms you are feeling.  When I have been really active or the weather changes I feel this pressure you describe and its usually followed by a nasty headache.  I'm currently taking indomethecin which is an NAISD that many neurologist prescribe for people who have exercise induced headaches.  It helps with the intracranial pressure I experience, not that this is a cure, but my Dr's at lease acknowledge it!  Hang in there, hopefully your GP sorts this out.

Take care you will find answers if you keep looking,
Liz
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2010, 12:21:08 pm »
Kenneth .....

My first reaction to your military docs diagnosis ..... well, duh?!?  Of course you are anxious (with a degree of depression) about the thought of more intracranial pressure ..... but that does not really solve the problem, does it?  I hope the neurological exam will shed more definitive light.  If the test results are negative or inconclusive, work on the stress factors and if your symptoms do not change, seek another opinion.

Best thoughts.  Clarice

6pick

• Light a candle rather than curse the darkness.
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2010, 07:08:35 pm »
Kenneth,

Here's my take on it so far: Doctors are just humans who know more about a specific system or group of systems of the human body than we lay folk. But they're not "all knowing". You said so yourself, sort of, "He was not knowledgeable about symptoms of intermittent increased intracranial pressure. He actually suggested that we tried to google it." You see? He doesn't know everything. (I googled it. I didn't understand any of it  :D.) So if the neurological exam that your GP sets you up with doesn't work out, take Clarice's advice: keep looking.

But frankly, I don't think you're in trouble if you have anxiety and depression, after all, you've been there before, haven't you? I mean, who on this forum hasn't been there and we have each other to get through it? As Jay says, "Breathe easy and stay calm" you know how to do that.

I'm no doctor, but how do you know that it's the Cavum Septum Pelucidum cyst that's causing your intracranial pressure? Is it possible that it's something else? I mean, I'm a former school teacher and I used to have some of the symptoms you describe when I had to call a parent about their misbehaving child  :D  . Really, I know it's no laughing matter but first, you don't really know what it is and second, you know that stress can't be helping it any.

So best of luck and keep us posted. I'm sending you all my best positive thoughts and well wishes and do your best to "Breathe easy and stay calm".

Hang in there,

Mark
5/21/10 diagnosis: Left side AN: size 25X17; tinnitus with variable volume, garbled word recognition, disequilibrium.

10/11/10 CK treatment@Stanford; Drs. Chang, Gibbs, Lieberson size 25 x 20 x 15 mm

4/24/12 size 23 X 20 X 15 no hearing change

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2010, 08:15:49 pm »
Kenneth -

depression is a very common side-effect of AN treatment - especially surgery from what I've heard.

I suffered from it myself without even realizing it.  My hearing loss had a huge effect on me.  I didn't realize how big it was until the day I was approved for my BAHA and then it was like a cloud lifted. 

Your SSD might not be what's depressing you, but it's very possible that some aspect of your AN treatment is.

Just my two cents worth - and no, I'm not a doctor  ;)

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

kenneth_k

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2010, 05:18:15 am »
Update......

There is no doubt that I'm influenced by a lot of stress at work. My doctor wants me to reduce my workload and only work part time for a period. My boss allready agreed to that so that's positive.

However, my nose started running again intermittently and it is positive for glucose. That means I may have a CSF leak again. I don't think it is as bad as the last time, and maybe it will stop by it self. I am going to have it checked out though. Don't know when but the hospital will send for me.

Best regards, Kenneth

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2010, 08:42:04 am »
Kenneth .....

I'm glad you were able to reduce your workload.  Regardless of the possibility of another CSF leak, just reducing outside work pressure should help your body to heal faster.  There is a huge range of time spans for recovery from either surgical removal of ANs or radiation treatment ..... no one can tell another person "You will be fine in 'X' weeks (months)."  As we tell everyone, listen to your own body.  This is not a time to be heroic and think you should be able to return to previous activities on a pre-determined time schedule.

Hopefully you will find out soon about the leak.

Clarice