Author Topic: Newbie in New York  (Read 14168 times)

MeLen

Newbie in New York
« on: November 07, 2010, 05:24:57 pm »

Hi All!  So glad I've found this site.  My husband was just diagnosed with an AN.  3.9 cm. (is that unusually large?)  I plan to "dig in" to reading some of the previous posts as well as possibly contacting the ANA for the WTT.

We've already visited one surgeon (Dr. Smouha) whose opinion is definately surgical removal and wants us to see his neurosurgeon counterpart at Mt. Sinai Medical Center, Dr. K. Post.   We also have appointments set for two other surgeons this week.  Both in New York City - Dr. Roland and Dr. Seleznick.

Anyone have any feedback on any of these surgeons?

Thank you ~  MeLen

sgerrard

Re: Newbie in New York
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2010, 06:25:21 pm »
Welcome, MeLen.

Unusually large is a relative term. 3.9 is bigger than many, but smaller than some. It is big enough that surgery is probably in his future. I have definitely heard of Roland and Seleznick, and maybe the others too. Some New York area members will fill you in.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2010, 06:30:43 pm »
Sorry to hear about your husband's AN both surgeons Drs. Roland and Selesnick are very good ask them many questions and continue to do more research. Also alot of people go to HEI in California that is suppose to be the best you could even send the reports to them and they will review it and give you a free consultation.

Best Wishes,

Pat
Diagnosed with a 1 cm. AN had Retrosigmoid
Approach surgery July of 2009, several problems after surgery.

jerseyboy

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2010, 07:31:14 pm »
MeLen,
The NY doctors you mention are all excellent.  I didn't know Dr. Post was still practicing.  My AN doctor is also at the Mount Sinai School of Medicine.  His name is Dr. Won-Taek Choe, and I have the highest regard for him.  Even though he is a surgeon, and I'm leaning toward radiation (I'm 64 and my AN is small), I nonetheless rely upon his judgment, which has proven to be as good as the team I had at the Mayo Clinic.
Jeff
Watch and wait since May 2009.

Mickey

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2010, 07:31:34 pm »
Sorry to hear of this diognosis. Now that it has been discovered its time to take care of it and come back strong. AN`s are very treatable especially with the best doctors. Two that you have mentioned are a team, Dr`s Roland and Golfinos. Although I`m Wait + Watch they are my Dr`s for going into 4 years. I`ve been around they AN community actively and have got to know alot about them and their steady work done with AN`s now for quite some time. They get my highest recomendation at NYU Medical center. Please stay posted you have a great support group here who will keep you and yours in their prayers. Best Wishes, Mickey

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2010, 08:01:37 pm »
Hi, MeLen - and welcome to the ANA discussion forums! 

Although we're never really happy to learn of another AN diagnosis, at least you've found a website that is focused on this relatively rare skull-based tumor with forums populated by folks who can empathize with your husband as well as offer practical suggestions as you both travel this road.  Fortunately, you seem to be on the right track with AN-experienced neurosurgeons in your area.   

Not that it's a contest but the size of your husband's AN (3.9 cm) is usually termed 'large' - but many grow even bigger. On discovery, my AN was measured at 4.5 cm and we've had members with ANs that were 8 cm, so although 3.9 cm may be considered large, they can grow even larger and still be successfully removed.  Mine was. 

Enjoy your reading!  This is a very acrtive site with many contributing members who are eager to help you and your husband in whatever way we can.  Just ask.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2010, 08:08:23 pm »
Hi, MeLen.

As others have said, your husband's AN is considered large.  It's also generally considered to be too big for radiation - the threshold is typically 3 cms or smaller - so surgery is the logical choice. 

You've mentioned some great doctors in your area.  I've heard only good things about Selesnick and Roland & Golfinos.  I don't think your husband could go wrong with any of these docs.

Best,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2010, 09:43:58 pm »
Hello, welcome to our club, and your husband as well!! You will find a ton of info on here, probably almost too much sometimes! But if you have any questions feel free to ask...or vent...lots of people vent on here and its encouraged! Take care and good luck!
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

nteeman

• Back to Mono
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2010, 08:51:45 am »
Hey, welcome and this is the place for info on ANs.  I had my surgery at Mt. Sinai with Dr. Smouha and Dr. Bederson--I recommend them both, and the hospital was fantastic.  Any questions please send me a message.

Neal
Diagnosed 12/16/2008
AN 2.4 X 2.0 X 1.6 CM
surgery performed on 1/27/2009 Mt. Sinai Hospital, NYC
Dr.Bederson & Dr. Smouha
9:30am thru 5:50pm
http://www.facebook.com/neal.teeman

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2010, 09:00:14 am »
Hi MeLen .....

Others have already answered your questions so I am just adding my welcome to this forum.  So glad you found us.  Hopefully your husband will join in the discussion, as well.  If not, ask away with any more questions you have.

Many thoughts and prayers as you weave your way through the research and decision-making process (in many ways the hardest part).

Let us know how you are doing.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Brewers7

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2010, 09:54:40 am »
MeLen,
     Sounds like your husband is in good hands.  I am so glad you found this site now.  It has been such a valuable resource for me.  I am sure that it will be helpful to both you and your husband.  Welcome to the club!  Susan
Translab surgery 12/15/2008 followed by CSF leakage repair and 3 additional surgeries for MRSA of the brain (NOT typical) SSD,  facial and vocal cord paralysis, numerous reconstructive surgeries, Transear 12/2010

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2010, 11:20:07 am »
Hi MeLen-

My surgeons were Roland and Golfinos at NYU.  Love them both - great surgeons, and great people.  One of the things I particularly like about them is their responsiveness.  Leading up to and after surgery, seemed like I had a million questions and they both quickly and patiently responded to each email.  I do have some post surgical complications so I still see Dr. Roland fairly regularly. 

Those of us the the NY area are very lucky to have some excellent choices - Golfinos/Roland, Choe, Steig, Selesnick. 

If you have any particular questions about Roland/Golfinos, please send me a Private Message.  I am also very happy to talk to either you or your hubby on the phone if you wish. 

Best of luck,
Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

Lizard

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2010, 12:12:47 pm »
MeLen,
Last night I was responding to your post and I lost my connection and my response...needless to say frustrating, but it seems everyone has given you great advice.  I just want to make sure you have ordered the literature from the ANA, the booklets are very imformative and there is also a thread (attached)about questions to ask when you meet with a Dr and I suggest you print it out and add anything else you might want to know to the list.  I made sure to write everything down that the Dr's told me because it was a bit overwhelming and as soon as I walked out of the office it seemed like I forgot everything they just told me  ;)
http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=12217.0

I also want to add my warm welcome to you and your husband and please feel free to ask anything that is on your mind, you've come to the right place  ;) and we're here to help in any way we can.

Take care,
Liz
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

MeLen

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2010, 09:23:35 pm »
Thank you everyone for your responses!  We have an appointment to consult with Dr. Selesnick on Thursday.  We saw Dr. Roland on Monday.  I've been looking at archived discussions.  There happens to be a support group meeting in my area on the 20th.  Great information on this site! 

MeLen

JLR

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2010, 04:33:00 am »
Hi MeLen, I'm in NY and have been looking for a support group to no avail. Can you share where the group is meeting on the 20th? Thanks very much, JLR
(Oh, I met with 4 doctors before I made my decision for CK. One of the consults was with Dr. Christopher Linstrom from the Ear and Eye Hospital on 14th street, NYC. He is a surgeon who has performed many AN surgeries. But because my hearing is pretty good, he highly recommended CK. )