Author Topic: Two Years Post-Op!  (Read 5419 times)

Pembo

Two Years Post-Op!
« on: June 04, 2006, 08:25:18 am »
Yesterday, June 3 was my two year anniversary of An surgery. For those who don't know me, I am 37 and was diagnosed on May 8 2004 with a 4 cm right AN. In Feb 2004 I noticed a little numbness on my cheek.  In March I started having dizziness. By the time I was diagnosed I also had fullness in my ear, extreme tiredness, stomach upset, and shoulder pain. All of these were related to the AN. However my hearing tests were normal.  My surgery was at University Hospital in Cleveland with Drs Megerian and Selman. I was in surgery for 20 hours. My tumor was very sticky and stuck to everything. They had to peel it off layer by layer, which took 16 hours.  It was stuck to 5 cranial nerves and my brain stem. As a result I lost my hearing and have facial paralysis and numbness. I'm happy to say that my facial paralysis and are both still recovering.  I have seen the most improvement in the last 6 months.

The pain meds after surgery put me through a vicious cycle of nausea, vomiting and sleep and after 8 days I was moved from University to an inpatient rehab hospital near my home. Interestingly enough, once all pain meds were stopped I made a quick recovery. I spent 8 days in the rehab learning to walk again, building strength and stamina and having the kinks worked out of my neck and shoulder. After my release from the hospital I continued out patient PT for another month and OT for another 2 months.

I've been through a roller coaster of emotions from anger to sadness. I am the same person yet a different person. I am tougher and less tolerant of people. My husband says I don't suffer fools well.  I still have trouble with my memory...I've forgotten my own phone number on occasion. I write everything down. I've noticed that my creativity seems to be gone. It's hard to come up with an original idea. I also have a tough time with decisions. I used to be a little indecisive now I'm very indecisive. This is my new normal and it has been an adjustment.

Last year I went in for my BAHA and the anxiety of surgery was much worse than the reality. The Baha has been a blessing to my life. It is not a miracle cure but a great help to the quality of my life.

I also have a punctual plug in my eye which still does not blink or water on a regular basis. The plug has lessened my reliance on lacrilube and my eye feels better.

I still have neck and shoulder stiffness on occasion and I get sinus headaches on the AN side only when the weather changes. I have to be careful with my balance especially when I try to do something in a squatting position, like planting flowers. I usually end up falling on my butt. I always have my chapstick with me.

I can't believe how much this AN journey has impacted my life. I went into surgery hoping I wouldn't lose my hearing and I had no idea that facial paralyis was even possible. I also didn't know that facial paralysis involved your eye and that numbness is something totally different.  I thought I'd be home from the hospital in a few days and back to normal in a few weeks. When I first found the ANA I thought I'd be a short term visitor.

The An journey has changed me and readjusted my view of normal. I'm happy to be a survivor and sad that my kids have had a mom who has been through so much. My kids were 8, 6 and not yet 2 when I had my surgery. They ended up spending almost a month at my parents house as I worked hard in recovery.

I share my story today to give hope to those just beginning the journey. In my case, life has improved and is still getting better.
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
Re: Two Years Post-Op!
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2006, 09:57:02 am »
YAY Pembo! :D
Congrats on your two year mark. You seem to have moved from the "why me?" phase of your life and on to the "grateful to be here" phase with grace and dignity--no small feat for sure! Wishing you good health and happiness in your future recovery. Your experience benefits others in ways you can't even begin to imagine! Keep posting!
Hugs
Capt Deb 8)
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Pembo

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2006, 06:36:07 pm »
Deb, I'm not sure how much grace and dignity I've shown but I am definitely moving on.... :)
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

Battyp

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2006, 08:19:45 pm »
Pembo, thanks for sharing your story! 
I agree with Deb...sounds like a tough journey that you have handled with grace.  (I'm sure there has been a lot of frustration along the way!)  It's nice to know that two years out I can still have changes happen!

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2006, 08:33:39 pm »
You've givin hope to the rest of us!!!

boy do I understand this "I am the same person yet a different person. I am tougher and less tolerant of people." this fits me to a T ... I'm tried of people in my group at work calling out sick becuase they are hungover - and not doing their work - coming in late and leaving early -  when I'm in there every day, with my BAHA,dizziness, and can't feel half my face and they ask me for help on something  >:( -- sorry I dont have time for you!!  >:(
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

jacobs

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2006, 09:04:39 pm »
 Pembo,I am sitting here reading your post for the second time today,comforted by the similarities to my situation but also saddened by your "mom" comments.I had my surgery at the end of April and being a single mom,my 5yr old daughter has been staying with her dad while I first stayed with my sister and brother in law for three weeks and now while I am at home trying to get used to fending for myself again.I have had many visits with her and her father has been quite accomodating .She was home last weekend and is home again tonight for a longer period.We are working up to our old schedule of one week with myself and one week with her dad.For me the hardest part of this whole experience has been the time I have had to spend away from her.She talks about"when your face is better mommy" I know how adaptable children are,it's just makes me sad that she has had to go through so much so young...I know how time heals but get impatient and try to do too much trying to be the mom I was before.I know that many ANers have children but don't see much discussion on how the parent child relationships have changed or not due to thier experiences with AN.I"m sure that I'm not the only one with mommy guilt...
Translab April 24,2006 3.5x2.5cm
Sunnybrook Hospital,Toronto.Dr.Chen&Dr.Perusmen
Left side facial paralysis,gold weight in eyelid &"deaf on the left"
now I'm a true canadian...EH?

Jeanlea

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2006, 07:19:35 am »
Pembo,

Thanks for sharing your story.  You give me hope for the future.  Before going into surgery I was most worried about my hearing, too.  Didn't give much thought to facial paralysis and numbness.  Now I have both. 

I am slowly adjusting mentally to the new me.  Some days are better than others.  I am lucky in that I was able to return to work full time after 8 weeks. 

My children are a little older, 17, 15, and 12.  I feel bad because they were pretty much on their own for the month of September.  Luckily my daughter is old enough to drive and took care of her brothers.  Family members were checking up on them frequently.  When I did get home they had to take care of me!  My son didn't think he would be taking his mom for walks when he was only 12.  I'm happy to say he doesn't need to walk with me anymore.  I'm back to my three mile walks.  Just wish I could smile at my kids.

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

russ

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2006, 10:21:31 pm »
Hi Pembo!

Thank you for sharing your anniversary recount. Once again I am humbled, but amazed at the same time at the survival of the human spirit. At how we can be empowered to move forward when the most severe trauma has been experienced.
  At two years out, I'm still confident of improved cognitive function for you.
  Again; Thanks...

Russ

Obita

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2006, 05:18:01 am »
Pembo:

After I got home from the hospital I remember thinking:  How would anyone be able to recover like they should if they have children?

To all the Moms and Dads out there affected by an AN:  You are tops in my book and I mean it.  Kathy

ps:  congrats on your milestone
Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

DeniseSmith

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2006, 06:31:05 am »
Pembo,

Congratulations on your two years out!  Also, you are doing a GREAT job in your recovery, and i think you have a fabulous attitude and wish you continued sucess!!

Denise

luv2teachsped

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2006, 06:32:08 pm »
Hi Pembo!  Congrats on your 2 years !  i just had my 1 year.  Everything looked so good, I don't have to have a MRI until 2009!!  That sounded good!!! I too have a very difficult last year and a half, as I went through a nasty divorce at the same time as my tumor.  Because of the lies and everything else, I had no support from my son and little from my daughter.  I had to have a PPO on my husband to keep him from bothering me blah blah blah...  Well i thought THAT was ENOUGH.  I am spending THIS summer recuperating from a 2 level back fusion, and have left teaching special education due to my back, and will be teaching second grade next fall!!   But I'm not writing this to whine, I've too have become stronger for it and now have a peace about my upcoming fourth and hopefully final surgery.  God is good, and he never gives us more than we can handle!  I am very blessed to have gone through this past year and a half.  Keep the faith!  luv2teachsped
3cmx3cm/translab 5/05
University of Michigan
Dr.Telian and Dr.Thompson

BAHA implant-4/07, processor on 8/07

cookiesecond

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2006, 08:25:02 am »
Luv2teach,
I'm sorry you had to leave special ed because I know you enjoy your job and it really takes special people. I'm sure you will be a blessing where ever you are. I hope you have a peaceful, relaxing and healing summer!!!
TAKE CARE,
LYNN

luv2teachsped

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2006, 03:30:28 pm »
Thanks Lynn!  Like everyone else, This board has been a great source of encouragement.  My Dr. was impressed with how much knowledge I went into all this, and because of it, I think things have went so well.  Thanks to everyone !!luv2teachsped
3cmx3cm/translab 5/05
University of Michigan
Dr.Telian and Dr.Thompson

BAHA implant-4/07, processor on 8/07

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2006, 01:23:30 pm »
Pembo,I am sitting here reading your post for the second time today,comforted by the similarities to my situation but also saddened by your "mom" comments. .I know how time heals but get impatient and try to do too much trying to be the mom I was before. I know that many ANers have children but don't see much discussion on how the parent child relationships have changed or not due to thier experiences with AN.I"m sure that I'm not the only one with mommy guilt..

My one and only 'child', a son, is almost 27 and lives at home with us, still.  He is gainfully employed and responsible, so this is O.K.  He has been very helpful during the hospitalization/recovery stages but he also yearns for things to be 'the way they were'...before the AN.  Well, so do I.  My recovery is progressing well and I expect to be back to 'normal ' within a month.

I've found that kids really are adaptable and will adjust to whatever level of recovery you are in at any given time, but they'll also want their 'old' ('normal') mommy/daddy back.  Lovingly helping them to cope with current reality is worth the effort.

UPDATE:    6 weeks post-op (at this posting) and I'm just about back to normal.  Even my hair is growing in - to the point where I don't feel the need to wear a baseball cap when I'm going out.   Now, that's progress!  ;)  I'm driving, shopping, going to movies, eating out and playing mini-golf with my wife and son.  All is well and life is good.  :) 

Jim
« Last Edit: July 18, 2006, 01:49:03 pm by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2006, 01:57:47 pm »
Pembo,

You ARE a survivor and you got all of us here to look out for you! Please please hang in there... and know I'm sending amethyst (healing) huggles to you.

xoxo
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"