Author Topic: Memory  (Read 11110 times)

littlemissrory

Memory
« on: May 05, 2005, 03:59:03 pm »
Hi.  I had the retrosigmoid surgery on May 24th of 2004 for an A.N. the was 5x8x6mm.  Prior to surgery the symptoms were extreme nausea, falling over, dizziness, vertigo.  The surgery went extremely well, I kept the nerve and have no hearing loss.  Recovery also went very well and I was back to whitewater kayaking and skiing much sooner than I expected.

So here's the question...does anyone notice a difference with memory being worse after a successful surgery?

I can't say my memory has been stellar in the past, but over this last year it seems much worse.  This week alone I couldn't remember the way to a place I drive fairly often, forgot my roommates name whom I've lived with for over a month and seem to lose things easily.

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

jmritter

Re: Memory
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2005, 07:14:52 pm »
Hi.  I had my surgery nearly 5 years ago (haven't checked this site for a long time).  Your post brought back memories - no pun intended.  I did indeed have problems with my memory post-op...some rather substantial.  My doctor attributed it partially to trauma of surgery, partially to lingering effects of anesthesia, and partially to medications I was on for pain (the latter because of the killer headaches I had).  It did eventually get better, but I actually had to work really hard at retraining my brain to think & remember.  One of the most helpful - although frustrating - things I did on the advice of a cognitive therapist was to read murder mysteries.  It was so hard to remember the characters and plot from night to night!  But it did stretch my brain and seemed to ultimately help. 

Good luck,

Jane

Russ

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2005, 04:31:24 pm »
Hi
  It's hard to believe you don't have at lest some residual disorder producing cognitive side effects.Maybe do a Google search of "Cognitive Aspects of Vestibular Disorders" by Dr Kenneth Erickson. You may see yourself here.
  Happy kayaking!!   -Russ

littlemissrory

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2005, 10:08:42 pm »
Thanks for the input...I'll check out google, and start reading murder mysteries.  I appreciate the help.

Rory

laurawinkleman

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2005, 10:54:58 am »
I had the same surgery in august 2001 under what was supposed to be the best surgeons nationwide.  I wasn't so lucky, I lost my hearing and I too had signifigant memory problems.  I spoke with others that had had various types of brain surgery and their experience was the same.  Trouble finding the right word, difficulty remembering short term and not being able to find things stored in my memory.  My doctor said that there was no reason for the symptoms but I know I had them.  They have improved some over the last 3 1/2 years, but I have lost my confidence in myself and my ability to learn and retain information.  I wish someone had warned me before!  Good luck and if you hear of anything that helps, please let me know. 
Laura

Mo

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2005, 06:42:09 pm »
I can totally understand how you feel.  There are days I suffer from CRS (can't remember stuff).  I make a lot of lists and carry a 2 year day planner.  All my phone numbers are written in the day planner and dialed into my cell phone (really sucked when I suffered from a "mindless moment" and washed my cell phone!- OOPS!)
Fee free to contact me personally via my email address, as I don't check this site often enough!
Mo
Gheegheemo@sbcglobalnet.com

cookiesecond

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2005, 08:54:55 pm »
Hi,

I was told that you usually have trouble with memory when it is your left side. Is this true?
Lynn

heyyouconnie

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2005, 07:01:42 am »
Yea, I have trouble with memory and sequences. My handwriting was terribly effected. I use to have beautiful handwriting, and I could hardly hold a pen correctly after the surgery. Well, things have gotten better, but I can just write ledgably (SP) now. One thing I notice, that makes me so mad, is while I am writing, I will forget a letter or two. Things that I can spell usually, well, I still know how to spell them, but forget a letter while writing the word.

thecakes

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2006, 07:12:27 am »
     Do you have a memory like this?   Five years or so before my AN was discovored I had a big memory problem.  Never remembering phone calls or birthdays.  I'v been married for 26 years and I still don't know my inlaws birthdays.  If I have to date a check I have to ask what the date is, and thats normal but if I date something a few seconds later I have to ask the date again.  Nothing sticks.  Even before I found out about my friend {tumor} I sware, I knew there was something wrong with me, big time, but after my operation, I thought things would get better but there just the same or worse.  I have all the help I can give myself, I write things down etc.  reply....the cakes

Randy

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2006, 07:51:49 am »
I'm glad I'm not the only one with memory problems.  My surgery was 10 months ago.  My doctor told me there shouldn't be any difference with memory after the surgery, or at least not any more than there was before the surgery.  Not true, I too have to write things down.  If someone gives me driving directions I'm good  for the first couple of streets, but by the time they start with the third street I need to write it down.  These are streets I'm familiar with, so it not like trying to find my way in a new town.  I also have a problem with finishing sentences.  Most of the time it's no problem, but there are times when I know what I want to say but I can't quiqte finish the thought I had or it doesn't come out like I wanted it to come out.  I do think it is worse when I haven't gotten enough rest from the night before.  When I'm well rested I do much better.

Larry

• Scallywags Rule
    • Chronologer of the PBW
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2006, 04:05:37 pm »
I remember seeing a documentary on memory. I'm not a dr but i remember (my memory is ok) that the short term memory is in a different part of the brain than the long term memory - I think it was explained like a computer - ram and hard disk. Anyway, apart from some physisist not remembering where he parked his car but could still lecture, which was due to some rotten Canadian mussels (yep thats right), there are tests that can be done on whether there is something missing in the brain that affects memory.

Talk to your neurosurgeon to see if a test can be done. I doubt whether an AN or op to remove an AN would be causing this
2.0cm AN removed Nov 2002.
Dr Chang St Vincents, Sydney
Australia. Regrowth discovered
Nov 2005. Watch and wait until 2010 when I had radiotherapy. 20% shrinkage and no change since - You beauty
Chronologer of the PBW
http://www.frappr.com/laz

matti

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2006, 04:36:29 pm »
My doctor swears that my memory problems are not associated with my AN surgery, I on the other hand disagree. I as well as other family members noticed right after my surgery that I was having problems finding the right words, not being able to finish my sentences and some short term memory problems. I am 7 1/2 years post op now and I still have some of these issues. I find myself working hard at conversation, almost practicing what I am going to say when I am in a social situation. My family automatically  finds my right word and finishes my sentences. This can be a bad thing, because I know I need to work at this and have become somewhat lazy. 

3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

Snowball

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2006, 11:30:05 pm »
I am also about 7 1/2 years post surgery and still have memory problems.  I have been tested, and while everyone agrees the memory problems are there, my doctor also insists that the surgery had nothing to do with the problem.  But like everyone else, I didn't have the problem with my memory until after the surgery.  At least once every day I find it hard to find the right word while speaking, I forget names of people I've known for years, forget how to drive places I've gone to many times before, and when writing checks often have a hard time remembering what year it is!  While the memory problem is frustrating, it's even more frustrating that no one can explain why it happened (other than it wasn't the surgery).  I'm glad I get to read everyone else's stories (though I am sorry you are all having this same problem), but it's reassuring to know I'm not the only one.

And to answer a post up above - yes, my tumor was on the left side.

Rc Moser

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2006, 08:03:54 am »
If you going to same Dr. that done the operation, I'd go to someone else. Preforming dr. sometimes won't amit any problems you might have due to it might reflect on them IMO. Go get another opinion. I beleive about 98% of us who have or brains exposed have; headachces, memory loss, weakness, those of us that have ten of the 10 of the 12 nerves mess with An operations have Balance problems, site problems, MIgraine's, short term memory loss, Neck pain, head pain just from turning you head, Sleep disorders, waking up in the night with head pain and about 10 other's I can't think of right now cause I'm breathing an with no pain at the moment which is a great day. 

They who preform the operations in a hole the size of a quarter, lasting hours, and most are suscessful, but IMO other problems occur and are well documented on this forum and in studies, are we all dreaming these conditions? I don't think so. IMO it's just finding the right dr. that will believe you and understand what you been through. Yet some say it's in your head, Well it got their somehow and I think the obvious is the tumor pushing on nerves and the operation you just had is how it got there. Maybe I'm out to lunch?  Rc.
9/17/03, 4.5CM, Translab, OU Medical Center, Dr. (the ear man) Saunders and Dr. B. (the BrainMAN) Wilson  along with about 4 other Doctors that keep me going for 18 hours.

Larry

• Scallywags Rule
    • Chronologer of the PBW
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2006, 04:04:29 pm »
Rc,

Couldn't agree more

Larry
2.0cm AN removed Nov 2002.
Dr Chang St Vincents, Sydney
Australia. Regrowth discovered
Nov 2005. Watch and wait until 2010 when I had radiotherapy. 20% shrinkage and no change since - You beauty
Chronologer of the PBW
http://www.frappr.com/laz