Author Topic: Cyberknife for the Kill...  (Read 4328 times)

Joseph

Cyberknife for the Kill...
« on: November 15, 2010, 11:19:06 pm »
Hello friends,

I did it...and hopefully it will die. It's been over two and a half years now that I have fighting this goober but at this point I feel I finally have the upper hand for now. I have undergone a retrosigmoid, translabrynthe, and endoscopic surgeries in an attempt to rid myself of this tumor once and for all but each time only getting slightly closer but not quite there yet...Until now... I hit what was left of the tumor with the Cyberknife treatment from Boston Medical Center and am excited because now I feel I am back in control. I do realize this war will never end and now till my final days I will regularly face the tube of gloom (MRI) but I am looking forward to seeing this thing shrivel up and die. YEAH TOOMAH TAKE THAT...Now I must figure out this SSD thing and facial paralysis but with things like the BAHA and gold weights for the eye lids I can't wait to start my metamorphosis into becoming a machine. I remember seeing a picture of a member here on the forum that looks like a Borg and its ironic the statement the Borg uses that "resistance is futile". lol, because at this point for the tumor its days are numbered and I wish to stomp it on the payment like the bug that it is...
Three resection surgeries; 2008-2010. Tumor @diagnosis: 4.5cm diam. brainstem "C" shaped Remaining tumor: 2.5cm wide by 3.3cm long/ no more brainstem compression but residual tumor rests near brainstem. Cyberknife @ BMC completed 11-11-2010.

Tumbleweed

Re: Cyberknife for the Kill...
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2010, 12:29:19 am »
Congratulations on finishing your CK treatments and having a great attitude to boot, Joseph!

Best wishes,
TW
L. AN 18x12x9 mm @ diagnosis, 11/07
21x13x11 mm @ CK treatment 7/11/08 (Drs. Chang & Gibbs, Stanford)
21x15x13 mm in 12/08 (5 months post-CK), widespread necrosis, swelling
12x9x6 mm, Nov. 2017; shrank ~78% since treatment!
W&W on stable 6mm hypoglossal tumor found 12/08

sunfish

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2010, 07:14:32 am »
for the tumor its days are numbered and I wish to stomp it on the payment like the bug that it is...

Don't know if I got that "copy the quote" thing right, but I like the "squashing the bug" idea!
Rt. side 14mm x 11mm near brain stem
Severe higher frequency hearing loss
I use a hearing aid (Dot 20 by Resound)
Balance issues improving!!!!
Cyberknife March17, 2010
Roper Hospital Cancer Center, Charleston, SC

jerseygirl

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2010, 08:27:36 am »
Joseph,

Congratulations and hopefully this last treatment will do the trick and you will finally forget about this *()_(*% tumor! Enjoy your life and family! Best of luck in everything you do.

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2010, 03:03:01 pm »
Congratulations, Joseph.  I know you've had to endure a lot over the past few years and I'm delighted to learn that your 'AN journey' seems to finally be reaching an end.  I like your feisty attitude.  One which is remarkable considering your long history with the AN but yet an attitude that has and will be a positive for you.  Well done.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Tumbleweed

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2010, 08:10:13 pm »
Jim, how do did you attach a thumbs-up icon to your message? Dunno how to do that.

Thanks,
TW

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2010, 08:30:51 am »
TW,
  After you click Reply, check the Message Icon puldown menu to pick an Icon.
Rob
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

Tumbleweed

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2010, 12:13:16 pm »
Thanks, Rob!

Best wishes,
TW

JLR

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2010, 05:28:52 am »
Morning All,  Next week, 12/1, my CK begins.  So, I am, of course, overthinking the entire AN situation.. will I have side effects? and most of all how soon after the procedures can I have an MRI? When will I know that the AN's growth has stopped, or shrunk or got bigger? I'm very happy to have found this forum as I know many have had successful CK and minimal side effects. Ok just venting..I'm sure all will be fine. Happy Thanksgiving! JLR

Tumbleweed

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2010, 11:03:45 am »
Hi, Joan:

It's really great that you are going in for CK treatments next week. It's also normal to be overthinking the situation. I kept mulling over all the pros and cons, what was likely to happen, my future, etc. right up til the moment I got on the CK table. All my handwringing didn't change the fact that CK was a necessary and beneficial thing.

Looking back now on my post-CK journey, I can say with certainty that most of my CK-related side effects were no worse than the episodes I was periodically going through with the tumor before treatment. The one exception was the profound fatigue I endured for a couple months after CK. That was an unusual response you are not likely to have, although you may very well be somewhat fatigued for a couple weeks or so.

It's all worth it. The benefits far outweigh the rough patches. And the rough patches don't last for too long, in the long view of things.

As for your other questions: your doctor will probably order your first followup MRI three to six months after your treatments. The size of your AN will likely vary over the next two to five years, but the chances are it will be roughly the same size at the end of that period. Around 25% of CK patients at Stanford see "gratifying shrinkage" of their tumor in the first five years following treatment. Any swelling that may occur is very likely to be transitory and may indicate the tumor is dying at an accelerated rate; i.e., should it occur, consider it the bitter medicine you must take to become well again.

Best wishes for a smooth ride and a great outcome!

Sincerely,
TW

JLR

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2010, 06:43:05 pm »
Hi TW, Thanks so much for your very kind words of wisdom.   I do feel better now and I know that CK is the way to go and the right way to go! I do hope the side effects are minimal and the outcome successful. Thanks again and will keep you posted on my CK. Enjoy Thanksgiving.  Joan