Author Topic: Hello from Mtn Gal  (Read 2671 times)

Mtn Gal

Hello from Mtn Gal
« on: June 07, 2006, 09:19:52 am »
My surgery was Wednesday, May 31 at Wake Forest Univ. Med. Ctr. and I came home on Sunday.  My birthday was on Monday and I couldn't think of a better place to be than at home with my family.  God is good.

The doc said the surgery couldn't have gone any better (4 hrs), the little tumor peeled right off the nerves and didn't damage any of them.  My hearing on the right side is still limited, but the doc said there was a possibility that it might improve.  I can live with being deaf on one side; I'm use to it anyway.  I'm not dizzy or off balance, just weak, tired, slow moving.  Have not had much pain, just a dull headache on occassion; tylenol works good; I don't like prescription pain meds.

Those steroids are awful too.  I'm not diabetic but the steroids made my blood sugar count go up and I had to keep having my fingers pricked and shots of insulin.  I should be off those in a couple more days.  The first two days after surgery I was very nauseaus.  That little spit cup wouldn't hold it either----I needed a bed pan!!!  I could vomit on que if the docs were nearby.  They gave me some meds to help with that and it eventually subsided.  Food is still not tasting as good as I'd like it to, but each day is an improvement.  Family, friends and neighbors are feeding my family while I nibble a few bites.

Going to the doc this afternoon to have the staples removed.  Things seem to be going well.  I know there are still possibilities of complications, but we will handle each one as they come.  To any newcomers, CHIN UP, Life is Good.  There is hope and life after treatment. 

Thank you all for your love and support.....strangers are friends we have not yet met.  Need to take a rest.  Talk with ya later.

Mtn Gal
Mtn Gal
Dx Spring 2003 (7mm)
MRI Spring 2006 (13mm)
Retrosigmoid Surgery 05/31/06
Wake Forest Univ. Med. Ctr.

Battyp

Re: Hello from Mtn Gal
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2006, 09:30:52 am »
Thanks for checking in.  Sounds like you done good!  Must have been all the pre coaching done by Capt Deb!

What an inspiration!

matti

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2006, 09:51:12 am »
Glad everything went so well and there is definetly no place like home  ;D

From everything I have seen posted, I am so lucky my doctors did not put me on steriods, good that you will be off of them soon.

Take care and keep us posted.
Cheryl

3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2006, 11:15:38 am »
Mtn Gal,
  At only 7 days post-op, it's good to hear that you're doing so well.  Know that your energy levels will improve.  Try to take a walk every day, and get plenty of naps.  :)
Regards,
 Rob
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2006, 11:25:29 am »
Good luck, Mnt Gal, with your on-going recovery.  You have a great cheering squad, both here and at home, and I think that helps a lot in a person's recovery.  One day at a time. Take care.

Sue in Vancouver
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

Obita

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2006, 06:33:42 pm »
Mtn Gal:

Welcome back.  It sounds like you are doing great.  The taste/appetite comes back after a few weeks and when the steroids are out of your system you will feel good again.  Tired but good.

Take it real easy, Kathy O'Brien

Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

luv2teachsped

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2006, 06:40:39 pm »
Good to hear you're doing well Mtn Gal!  Sounds  like things went well.  Remember to take things slow, and give yourself time to heal.Keep the faith!luv2teachsped
3cmx3cm/translab 5/05
University of Michigan
Dr.Telian and Dr.Thompson

BAHA implant-4/07, processor on 8/07

cookiesecond

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2006, 07:52:29 pm »
Mtn Gal,
It is good to hear things went so well for you.Take care. I pray for a very speedy recovery.
Lynn

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2006, 08:52:32 pm »
Hi Vanessa!
So glad you are home. Give me a call when you can get out and we'll do the Valle Crucis Park walk--or give me a call when you are feeling up to talking--I know it's rough for you right now
Get lots of rest and make everyone wait on you hand and foot for as long as possible!
God Bless
Capt Deb 8)
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW