Author Topic: Self Diagnosing online (for AN's, etc)  (Read 3228 times)

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Self Diagnosing online (for AN's, etc)
« on: November 21, 2010, 06:44:56 am »
Hi all

In my many years here on the forums, I have seen many folks doing threads/posts about what they believe is going on with their bodies without actually consulting with a doctor, which is worry-some to me that many (but not all) folks may be "self-diagnosing".

There was a local news story today about "Cyber-chondria".  Now, I'm not saying that folks doing these threads/posts are cyber-chondriacs, but.... this story emphasizes the need that folks need to have their doctors do proper exams to determine what may be going on with symptoms being presented.  Here is the link to the story:

http://www.thebostonchannel.com/video/25835992/detail.html

I do this post to remind everyone, in the case of potential AN's, that many may be experiencing tinnitus (my grandmother and mom have had it for years, yet, no AN), balance issues, hearing loss, etc, yet, it may not be an AN as many other issues may cause these symptoms, to be seen by a physician.

From the ANA home page, titled "Identifying the Tumor", describes exactly how an AN is determined to exist:
http://www.anausa.org/identifying_tumor.shtml

This excerpt from the ANA page is key:

"Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) is the preferred diagnostic test for identifying acoustic neuromas. Gadolinium, an enhancing contrast material, is often used during the scan to reveal the tumor. The image formed clearly defines an acoustic neuroma if it is present. Currently MRI is the “gold standard” by which the diagnosis is confirmed. This technique can identify tumors measuring only a few millimeters in diameter."

I encourage everyone that may believe that may think they have an AN to not fully go by what is read online but to seek proper diagnosis via a physician.

I hope this info is helpful to those that come here seeking potential answers.  We are not doctors but help to share what we know  and hope follow up with a physician is done.

Phyl

« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 06:48:38 am by ppearl214 »
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Self Diagnosing online (for AN's, etc)
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2010, 07:44:06 am »
Phyl .....

Thanks for posting this.  I was getting nervous about so many posts quoting web studies, etc. to justify a self-diagnosis.  I hope everyone realizes that you can find a "study" to justify whatever you want to believe on the Internet ..... and this applies to anything, not just ANs.

It is essential that a person seeks professional medical assistance for symptoms that are troubling, whatever they may be.

Thanks.  Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2010, 02:34:50 pm »
Hi all

In my many years here on the forums, I have seen many folks doing threads/posts about what they believe is going on with their bodies without actually consulting with a doctor, which is worry-some to me that many (but not all) folks may be "self-diagnosing".

Phyl ~

I concur with both your observation and your concerns.  Thanks for raising this issue.

I suspect that some folks want to avoid confronting the possible reality of having an acoustic neuroma and are seeking reassurance from the internet that their symptoms are caused by 'something else' while others seem to be already convinced that they do have an AN and are seeking confirmation from AN patients, which we cannot offer because...all together now ..."we're not doctors".  Fortunately, the usual response here to folks seeking confirmation on whether or not their symptoms indicate an acoustic neuroma is "see your doctor" coupled with "have him order an MRI with contrast" which is the only realistic response we can give, not being doctors and all.  Thanks again for illuminating this issue.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

stevecms

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2010, 05:55:52 pm »
Hi,please never try to self diagnose any medical problem.I did this and was treated for  trigeminal neuralgia for 18mths.If the an had been found,the 13 hours surgery may have ben avoided. :(
4 cm acc neuroma 99.9% removed queen elizabeth hospital 6 sept 09 by dr walsh.thought it was trigeminal neuralga,lots of facial pain for 18mths,now deaf on rh side little taste and ear pressure.13 hour surgery.

EJTampa

• Rays Vs Red Sox Game 2 ALCS (Isabel and Ernie)
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2010, 02:01:27 am »
I remember typing in all of my symptoms and finding that "only 5 percent of those with tinnitus and hearing loss are diagnosed with a brain tumor".  Phew!  I sure was glad to read that.  Of course, I ended up being one of the 5 percent :).

In our cases, the presenting symptoms are so often not caused by a tumor that my insurance company (BC/BS) didn't even want to authorize an MRI!  My ENT had to get on the phone and argue with them :).

Definitely not a good idea to self diagnose.  But at the same time, I will always type my symptoms into a google search box before making the appointment to see the doctor.  I just feel better knowing a little bit of what I "might" have before getting the real deal diagnosis from the Doc.

Ernie
-1.3 X 0.8 cm AN in the right cerebellopontine angle extending into the internal auditory canal.
-Retrosigmoid Surgery with Dr. Bartels and Dr. Danner at Tampa General 3/5/2009.
-Had to cut hearing nerve to get "sticky" tumor, so SSD right side.