Author Topic: face pain  (Read 2299 times)

Patti

face pain
« on: June 08, 2006, 07:19:54 pm »
I am 5 1/2 years post-op for a 4cm AN.  I have always had weird sensations on the numbside of my face, scalp and face.  The night before last I was awoken a few times by jolts of pain in my face.  Then I had a mostly constant level of burning pain for the rest of the day.  Today there are les severe pains.  Does any one have any ideas about this?  Could it be re-growth that was not visible on my last mri (sept 05) because it can't be seen because of scar tissue?  I am a little scared.  Patti
4 cm AN removed 12/2000
subsequent brain swelling
removal of part of cerebellum
face, scalp,tongue numbness and partial paralysis
no corneal sensation and no tears-frequent eye issues
cognitive issues
Regrowth (3.1 x ..86 cm) treated by SRS on November 6, 2015

Raydean

Re: face pain
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2006, 08:34:28 pm »
Patti,

It'd be hard to guess what's going on, but rather then worry and guessing, it'd probably be best to contact your doctor for his opinion.  Please let us know what you find out and know that we'll keep you in our thoughts.

best to you
Raydean
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Patti

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2006, 02:29:39 am »
Actually, I did tell my neurologist and she thought it was odd so she is going to send me for an MRI.  I know scar tissue can block the sight of tunors on MRIs.  I read PET scans can tell the difference between tumors and scar tissue.  Anyone have any experience with PET scans?  Patti
4 cm AN removed 12/2000
cognitive issues

russ

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2006, 04:52:33 pm »
 Hello

I'm not sure where you had surgery but you have just described Trigeminal Neuraligia pretty well. The TN nerve can be affected with a large AN and a good Dr should know this.
   I would ask directly about that particular nerve and maybe even see a neurologist if your complaint is brushed off with an, "I don't know".
   Best wishes to you!

Russ

matti

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2006, 06:04:44 pm »
Hi Patti,

I am 8 years post op and have been dealing with some of the same symptoms since last November.  I had an MRI in Feb. and there was no re-growth. I do have scar tissue there, but there is no change from last MRI's.  First diagnosis I received was Shingles, so I was put on an anti-viral for 2 weeks, still had problems. My doctors now feel that it is either my facial nerve misfiring or trigeminal neuralgia. I was prescribed Neurontin, but being the stubborn patient that I am  >:(, still have not taken it. I have seen several neurologist for this problem and no one seems very alarmed.

Sometimes I get the burning feeling on my left arm (AN side) in two spots. I also feel like I have a 5lb weight on that side of my head, but that has gotten much better. Mine started off with pain in the cheek, tingling and then the burning sensation. My face/ear/head on the AN side all feel this way. These symptoms also get worse when I am stressed. Weird ???

Cheryl

3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

Patti

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2006, 08:07:00 pm »
Well-I guess I am under unusual amounts of stress this week (daughter's prom, graduation party, huge student loan, my 2 girls getting in a car accident-a deer!  scary but they are fine-car is totalled, subsequent insurance stuff).  I see my neurosurgeon in July and will get more information from him.  My local neurologist (who is a close friend) is going to talk with the radiologist from last sept MRI about the scar tissue and send me for another one so i have a recent one for my July appointment.  So medically we will look into it.  It is comforting to know that stress can cause these problems.  Patti 
4 cm AN removed 12/2000
cognitive issues