Author Topic: AN 'vet' wants to help others  (Read 2137 times)

JAndrews

AN 'vet' wants to help others
« on: November 28, 2010, 08:46:34 pm »
I hope I am doing this right?? I'm not great with computers. Anyways..it has been almost 2 years since my surgery. I am here to help anyone who needs it. I am 40 years old and a mother of 2 small children. I am here to tell you that you will be ok. The most important and I mean really, really important thing to do is get the right physicians. I had several opinions, advice from others etc... I was shocked at how many different ways this surgery could be performed and the possiblility of some severe life long side effects. I did my research. It was hard and very time consuming but it paid off. I am fine. I have no hearing in the left ear. It does take getting used to. I have no balance problems, no headaches. About 2 weeks after my surgery I wasn't even dizzy anymore. I had a headache right after surgery but nothing major for the few weeks after that medication didn't take care of.  I could go on and on for pages with my story. It was a story that started as shear terror and is now over with healthiness and happiness. Most of my recovery was spent treating the depression and anxiety that the whole experience caused.  Physically I was tired for a few months, a little off balance some times, but nothing major. The tinnitus stinks, but you get used to it. I was originally diagnosed with a 2.5cm x 2.0cm acoustic neuroma. It turned out to be a benign meningioma that looked like an AN. The surgery and the outcomes were exactly the same as if it was an AN. I email with Dr. Brackmann still to this day. If there is anyone out there that I can help, talk to on the phone, email, letters whatever please let me know. Its important to me to help as many people as possible because I know how scared you are.

Hi and welcome.  Your personal email address has been removed for your security.  Thank you for sharing your willingness to talk.  Folks can PM/email you here on the site where you can share personal contact info.  Again, welcome. Phyl
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 02:47:59 pm by Jim Scott »
2.5cm x2.0cm cerebellapontine angle meningioma. 100% removal 2/2009. House Ear Institute. Dr Brackmann and Dr. Schwartz. SSD right ear. No balance problems except when really tired, no headaches. Transear hearing aide made no difference, tried it for 4 months.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: AN 'vet' wants to help others
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2010, 10:45:15 pm »
Hi JA and welcome.

Most of us "old-timers" are here because we want to help others.

Another great way to help is to get on the ANA's Willing To Talk (WTT) list.  You should contact the ANA if you are interested.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Lizard

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010, 12:47:37 pm »
Good call Jan.
Just wanted to welcome you to the forum, and I'm sure you have a lot of insight and experience to share, seems like you've been on quite a ride.  Depression is a problem among many posties and Watch and Waiter's as well, so I'm sure you will find many opportunities to give back. 

Liz
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

Gus

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2010, 11:00:03 pm »
Thanks for the posting; yet Tinnitus is a trip.  I'm newly diagnosed after trying to find why I had tinnitus; now I know.  I was diag in Sept, and will redo the MRI in Feb.   My first MRI was an open 0.7 Tesla with no contrast; they now want a redo using a 1.5 T with contrast.  Main issue again is the big T.  I'm grateful it brought me to the AN discovery, so I know.  But it is like, God, I've got the point, please make it go away.  My perception now is that it is my energy source from God, just rev'd up a bit.  My mom has it and says it just became part of her; I'm now quite there. 

Anyway, if mine is growing, I'll probably opt for surgery.  I've talked to the House Institue and would probably go there if I had to; concerned about losing my balance though.  The radiation slam to my brain is scarying me, and I can't get a Dr. to tell me what my dose is in lay terms.  I know OSHA max exposure is 5 REMs, but don't know what Gamma Knife would do.

I'm also concerned about repeated MRIs using gadolidium.  So, now, medicating to sleep, but having trouble focusing on work.  I know all will be OK, but the T keeps on reminding me.  Is there any option that has a chance of getting rid of the T or medication.
Gus

8x 16 mm AN on left side
Diagnosed September 2010
Wait and Watch until MRI showed 2 mm growth in July 2012
Surgery on Aug. 30, 2012 via middle fossa at MD Anderson; results showed the tumor to be a benign meningioma instead of a AC.  Hearing was saved; mild Tinnitus; Feel Very Blessed

moe

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2010, 10:43:09 am »
Hi Gus and J and welcome to the forum!
I too am a tinnitus sufferer. It was annoying pre op, but I was pretty much able to ignore it. Post op with SSD, it is tormenting me.
I did get the BAHA for SSD and it may help to muffle the tinnitus a bit.

Gus- you will see many posts on tinnitus. Just type in the word at the SEARCH box, and they'll pop up.
If you haven't already, join the ATA (American Tinnitus Association)_ heck what's one more association! ::)

I get their publications, and I just now figured out FB is a great way to talk with others, so I'm going there next.

Prior to the AN, I tried this and that medication/over the counter stuff / "Miracle cures" but NONE of them worked.

Decreasing the caffeine, and noisy environments, and wearing ipod  a couple hours during  the day appears to help. (quiet music)

Hang in there, I know where you are coming from...
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2010, 12:11:04 pm »
Hello and nice to meet you on here! I know this place is a great source of help for both newbies and posties alike...with you being a Newbie-Postie in one package, you'll be a great source of info for anyone who needs it.  The more the merrier, I always say! I too am a Brackmann alumni, so we have something in common. You'll find a lot of us here who have had the honor of being under his care.  Thanks again for joining us and welcome!
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston