Author Topic: got my Transear today!  (Read 6788 times)

Brewers7

got my Transear today!
« on: December 14, 2010, 02:24:36 pm »
I have had it in for a few hours now and I am loving it so far.  The first thing I noticed on the ride home was that I could hear Christmas music playing on the radio even though the phone was against my good ear.  Ho ho ho.  It is comfortable.  I was worried that there would be a problem because my ear canal is very small, but it seems to be working fine.  After 2 years of ssd, a very good day.  My son said, "It's a Christmas miracle!"  Susan
Translab surgery 12/15/2008 followed by CSF leakage repair and 3 additional surgeries for MRSA of the brain (NOT typical) SSD,  facial and vocal cord paralysis, numerous reconstructive surgeries, Transear 12/2010

Tod

• My blog (work and life)
Re: got my Transear today!
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2010, 02:33:33 pm »
Very cool, Susan! I am happy for you and hope you have a great experience with it.

-Tod
Bob the tumor: 4.4cm x 3.9cm x 4.1 cm.
Trans-Lab and Retro-sigmoid at MCV on 2/12/2010.

Removed 90-95% in a 32 hour surgery. Two weeks in ICU.  SSD Left.

http://randomdatablog.com

BAHA implant 1/25/11.

28 Sessions of FSR @ MCV ended 2/9/12.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2010, 03:47:51 pm »
Congratulations, Susan!  I'm so glad to learn that you're enjoying the sounds of Christmas (and everything else).  :)

Jim  
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 04:18:25 pm by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Brewers7

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2010, 04:17:15 pm »
I am going to my 5 year old grandson's school Christmas program tonight - the REAL test.
Translab surgery 12/15/2008 followed by CSF leakage repair and 3 additional surgeries for MRSA of the brain (NOT typical) SSD,  facial and vocal cord paralysis, numerous reconstructive surgeries, Transear 12/2010

Mark241

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2010, 05:58:42 pm »
Great news!
4cm C1  16hrs                 Barrows, Jan 06      NF2
3.5 cm  Right AN retro       Barrows, Oct 06   
Cranial Plate removal           UNM Nov 07
LP                                   Barrows  Jan,2011
Wound revision                 Barrows Feb, 2011
5mm left middle Fossa,  (2) 2mm spine w&w

6pick

• Light a candle rather than curse the darkness.
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2010, 12:37:54 am »
Fabulous!  Keep us posted.
5/21/10 diagnosis: Left side AN: size 25X17; tinnitus with variable volume, garbled word recognition, disequilibrium.

10/11/10 CK treatment@Stanford; Drs. Chang, Gibbs, Lieberson size 25 x 20 x 15 mm

4/24/12 size 23 X 20 X 15 no hearing change

kenneth_k

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2010, 02:12:46 am »
Hi Susan.

What wonderfull news. I take it you can have lot of positive moments during the hollidays.

Kenneth

sunfish

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2010, 09:07:07 am »
Let us know how that Christmas program went.  Great news!  I know it feels wonderful when the audiologist makes an improvement in my hearing aid programming.  It not only improves hearing, but also my mood and attitude.
Rt. side 14mm x 11mm near brain stem
Severe higher frequency hearing loss
I use a hearing aid (Dot 20 by Resound)
Balance issues improving!!!!
Cyberknife March17, 2010
Roper Hospital Cancer Center, Charleston, SC

Brewers7

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2010, 10:10:59 am »
Well, I learned that I need to make the programming change BEFORE going into a crowded area.  I waited until I was inside the crowd and I could not hear the beeping tone which lets you know that the program has changed.  My bad.  I had a little trouble getting the Transear on this morning, but I think that I will adjust. It is working great now.

GramaSuby

• "Lost my muchness have I"? ALICE IN WONDERLAND
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2010, 01:37:33 am »
Please explain the transear.
Sue
Diagnosed Nov 08  w/ 14x13x14mm left AN. Translab on 9/30/10 w/ Dr's Mattox & Olson at Emory University Hosp. in Atlanta.  Post surgery complications were meningitis & pneumonia. Hospitalized for 12 days, zero memory for the first 5.

Brewers7

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2010, 10:33:18 am »
Sue,
The Transear is a device that fits inside your deaf ear canal.  A very small  processor is connected to the devise by a tiny wire and goes behind your deaf ear.  (The processor is smaller than an average hearing aid.)  The device picks up sounds from the deaf side and transfers the sound to the good ear through bone conduction.  You don't feel it.  My hair is short and the devise cannot be seen.  The processor has an optional setting for background noise situations.  The volume can also be adjusted.  So far, I am very happy with it.  The best part - no surgery required.  The down side - my insurance did not cover it and mine cost $3300.00.  Does this answer your questions?

6pick

• Light a candle rather than curse the darkness.
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2010, 07:25:05 pm »
Sue,

Try this link:

http://www.transear.com/

Mark
5/21/10 diagnosis: Left side AN: size 25X17; tinnitus with variable volume, garbled word recognition, disequilibrium.

10/11/10 CK treatment@Stanford; Drs. Chang, Gibbs, Lieberson size 25 x 20 x 15 mm

4/24/12 size 23 X 20 X 15 no hearing change

GramaSuby

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2010, 10:40:29 pm »
Thanks for the link Mark and thanks for the explaination of the transear Susan. My next question is did you consider the BAHA and what is the difference?
Diagnosed Nov 08  w/ 14x13x14mm left AN. Translab on 9/30/10 w/ Dr's Mattox & Olson at Emory University Hosp. in Atlanta.  Post surgery complications were meningitis & pneumonia. Hospitalized for 12 days, zero memory for the first 5.

Brewers7

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2010, 10:14:48 am »
I considered a BAHA.  The BAHA requires that an "abutment" be surgically implanted on your AN side, just behind the ear.  The BAHA operates on the same "bone conduction" principle as the Transear, transferring sound to your good ear through the bone. You snap in the tiny processor each morning.  The processor is hidden by your hair.  Some insurance companies are covering BAHAs.  I understand that the surgery is minor.  Many on this site seem very happy with the BAHA.

I had so many weird complications from my AN surgery that my surgeon suggested  I choose a nonsurgical option (such as the Transear) for now.  Also, my insurance would not cover the BAHA or the Transear, and the Transear was much more affordable.  I have had the Transear for just a few days and I am happy.

There are other options.  CROS has a wireless (radio transmission) aid.  It requires that you wear two devices, one behind each ear.  I understand that they are the most affordable.  My audiologist said that she has 3 patients with these and they are satisfied.

Also, the Sonnitis is very new on the market.  It is worn on your back teeth to transmit through bone conduction.  I assume that it must be removed to eat but I am not positive.

GramaSuby

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2010, 03:43:25 pm »
What I miss the most is the stereo sound of music, movies and well, everyday "surround sound."  Do you get that back w/ your transear?