Author Topic: BAHA and hearing aid  (Read 4236 times)

Dave_S121

BAHA and hearing aid
« on: May 07, 2005, 07:23:00 am »
Rather than add to my old post I'm starting a new post to relate my experiences with my BAHA and hearing aid.   I had translab surgery Oct. 20 2004 to remove a 2.2cm AN from my right ear.  At the time my doctor placed the BAHA titium post in my skull.  I got my sound processor in March 2005.  I notice improvement, but not as dramatic as I had hoped.  I have had significant high frequency hearing loss in my left ear and after adjusting to the BAHA was fitted for a Canta7 hearing aid.  I received that 2 weeks ago.  In a nut shell I love the Canta7 hearing aid.  It has significantly improved my hearing.  The Canta7 is made by GN Resound Group.  I think the benefit of the Canta7 is they only enhance the frequency specific to my hearing loss and not amplify all the other sounds.  I'm still able to hear all other sounds due to it "open air" design.  Telephones are not a problem.  Between my BAHA and the Canta7 I beleive the quality of my hearing is significantly better than before my surgery.  The Canta7 isn't cheap, the fitting and hearing aid cost $3,000.00 which my insurance wouldn't cover.  But for me it is money well spent.  My only complaint is that I still have trouble localizing noise and sounds due to being SSD.  After receiving my sound processor for the BAHA I have noticed an improvement over time and hope it will improve. 
68 years old
2.2cm AN Right side
Removed 10/20/2004 Translab
Dr. Wiet and Dr. Kazan
Hinsdale Hospital, Hinsdale, IL.

Russ

Re: BAHA and hearing aid
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2005, 09:14:42 am »
Hi Dave
  I have been told by more than one audiologist it can take 30 - 90 days to 'retrain a brain', so an adjustment period for either BAHA or HA, is a time required for great patience. Seems you are doing well!
  Best wishes!!
  Russ

Jennifer

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2005, 02:26:33 pm »
I, too, had the post put in during my AN surgery. the only problem was, the doc put it in the wrong place. so when i went in to get the abutment, they had to put a whole new post in. now i have to wait unitll july to get my processor when i should have gotten it by now. The good thing though is that i get the new digital processor! i'll post with my results once i have had the processor for a while. ~Jennifer

labaity

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2005, 11:04:40 am »
Jennifer, I have something similar with my baha going on, I have had mine longer than you have had yours and it is very close to the hairline on one side. It continually pulls and bleeds and gets infected. Would you share more about your experience?

Thanks,

Lisa

odirish

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2005, 07:03:20 pm »
Where can I get information on this? Does insurance pay for it?

Mary Ann

Russ

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2005, 07:19:43 pm »
Hi
  http://www.entific.com/  You would have to contact your insurance carrier, I believe.
  Best wishes!!   -Russ