Author Topic: Chelsea's tumor  (Read 7138 times)

wind6

• Winch Wench ;)
Re: Chelsea's tumor
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2006, 02:57:47 pm »
Hi all, I cant even begin to imagine how frightening this is for parents. Many times I have said how grateful I am that it was me dealing with this instead of my children. My thoughts and prayers are with you all.
Please remember...if I could recover from this surgery at 50, then much younger people will surely bounce back quicker. I have even returned to my college education now. I just finished my first semester as a junior and recieved 2 A's and a B.
If there is anything at all I can do to help I humbley offer myself. I am sure you will find many wonderful people here that are willing to be support all along this journey.
Sending congrats to the graduate and hugzzzzzzz to you all.              Sherry

P.S. Chris and family...I will keep you in my thoughts tomorrow.
2.5cm x 3.1cm facial nerve neuroma
removed 8-2-2005(retrosigmoid)
St.Johns Hospital-Springfield,Illinois
Dr.Michael McIlhany and Dr.Carol Bauer
Wait n' watch mode for 8 years.
Gamma Knife at Northwestern Memorial Hospital. Chicago,IL. Dr. James P. Chandler. July 10, 2013.

Patti

« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2006, 06:51:23 pm »
May God, or whoever your High Power is, give you strength (and all the other members) to get through this life changing experience.  Patti
4 cm AN removed 12/2000
subsequent brain swelling
removal of part of cerebellum
face, scalp,tongue numbness and partial paralysis
no corneal sensation and no tears-frequent eye issues
cognitive issues
Regrowth (3.1 x ..86 cm) treated by SRS on November 6, 2015

chelsmom

« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2006, 08:24:28 pm »
Today when I woke up the first thing I thought of was Chris and his family.  I can't get them off my mind.  A very scarry day for them.  I hope they are all doing well.

We were up early to take Chelsea to UCLA.  Although it's approx. 90 miles away we were told to leave by 6:00 am to be on time for our 10:30 appt.  So.Calif. traffic. We saw her neuro-surgeon for the first visit and he spent 2 hours with us.  I was impressed.  He has performed hundreds and hundreds of these surgeries.  He answered all our questions and we feel good about him.  She'll see other surgeons there next week that are part of the team.  He of course went over the risks and post-op complications.  His concerns included the nerves that are being effected by this large tumor (hearing, swallowing, eye movement, balance, and facial).  And of course the most important, the brain stem.  He said it has been pushed way over into the left side and causing blockage of the spinal fluid dranage.  She'll remain on the decadron until surgery June 30, to allow some of the swelling to go down.  The other thing was that what I thought was a delay in her blinking in the left eye is wrong.  It turns out that its not a problem with the left eye but the begining of nerve damage on the right which her eye is opened larger than the left and not blinking correctly.  The tumor also goes down and along the stem into the area of the swallowing nerve.  Has anyone had this and had to learn how to swallow again?  He told us the complications of this could not only be needing to learn to swallow again (3-4 months) but that she might have a feeding tube until she relearns.  I know he was painting the worst case senario of what could happen so we are prepared. He was impressed though that her hearing has not been effected.  He told us that the tumor is deep into the right ear canal and when he has seen this before in his patients that they are usually deaf.  She is now heading into a series of tests and appts. for the next week.  Her graduation ceremony was beautiful.  Thanks for all the good wishes.  I read them to her and she was touched.  She went out with friends until 1:00am and slept most of today during the travel time.  I thankful she is still able to be active.  It really keeps her mind busy on other things. 

Chelsmom 

Raydean

« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2006, 08:58:32 pm »
Chelsmom,

I want you to know how impressed i am by everything that you are doing.  Much of what you posted
could of been written by me.  My husband also had a large tumor and faced all of the outcomes that your daughter is.  As difficult as it was for us, i know in my heart that it's much more difficult for you and your daughter.  Your  love and strength are also important factors and will help carry her thru this time.  Please remember to take good care of yourself.

I know the next couple of weeks will be pretty busy for the both of you as you meet with various Doctors.  Please know that many of us on this list will be keeping you and yours in our thoughts and prayers.

Would it be possible to share Chelsea full name so that we can send card of caring and support while she is in the hospital?  Hospital address would be appreciated too

With hugs
Raydean
« Last Edit: June 15, 2006, 09:00:16 pm by Raydean »
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

TaylorsMom

« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2006, 09:44:39 pm »
Hi Chelsea's Mom,

I too have been thinking of Chris and his family today.  I hope it went well.

My daughter had the swallowing problems they told you about.  The first 3 days after surgury she survived on IV solutions, then they put the feeding tube up her nose.  The first time they tried the nurse thought it went down, but it was curled up in her mouth.  Lots of choaking and gaging in the process.  They gave her a dose of something before the next try.  I can't remember what it was but it relaxed her and made her not really remember them doing it.  Much easier.  When they change the bags they squirt air in the tube and listen to the stomach with a stethoscope to make sure it's in the right place.  If not they have to pull it out and start over.  I think she had it about 10 days before she could manage pureed food.  I think they had to put it in 2 or 3 times.  They gave her what they call a swallow study.  It's basicaly a live action video X-ray of her swallowing food.  Hers showed that food and liquid was trying to go down the wrong way, but it allways made her choke.  Much better than if she couldn't feel it go down the wrong way and didn't choke.  When she started pureed food it was good for the first 3 or 4 days, then we started to see food and liquid come out her nose.  We also had to put thickener in all liquids, even water.   Actually, she could handle thicker purees better than thinner.  She could feel it better and direct it down the right way easier.  She gradually got more control and started eating regular food at about 4 weeks after surgury.  Now at 4 1/2 months post op she can eat and drink anything she wants,  but still does better with a straw in liquids.  Her right vocal cord still doesn't move, but the left one moves over some to compensate.

TaylorsMom

« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2006, 09:53:37 pm »
Sorry, I wasn't done yet.

I sincerley hope Chelsea can avoid this complication.  I promised Taylor I wouldn't make mashed potatoes for her coming home dinner.

Thinking of you,

Kathy

wind6

• Winch Wench ;)
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2006, 03:50:56 pm »
Hello Chelsmom,
Just popped in to tell you I have you and your daughter in my thoughts today. Hope all is going well. Give Chelsea a hug for me.                            Always, Sherry
2.5cm x 3.1cm facial nerve neuroma
removed 8-2-2005(retrosigmoid)
St.Johns Hospital-Springfield,Illinois
Dr.Michael McIlhany and Dr.Carol Bauer
Wait n' watch mode for 8 years.
Gamma Knife at Northwestern Memorial Hospital. Chicago,IL. Dr. James P. Chandler. July 10, 2013.

Crazycat

• Self-Portrait/ "Friends, Romans, countrymen...."
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2006, 04:32:04 pm »
Hi! Just wanted to chime in with my two cents:  I hope everything turns out well for the kids. It most likely will. With the medical technology available these days and highly skilled doctors implementing it, the odds are in their favor!

Having been through the mill myself with a 5cm tumor and hydrocephalus, I'm now jogging 4 miles a day, weight training and playing music for a living even though I'm deaf as a post in my left ear........Have a gig tonight.....gotta run!!

Paul
5cm x 5cm left-side A.N. partially removed via Middle Fossa 9/21/2005 @ Mass General. 
Compounded by hydrocephalus. Shunt installed 8/10/2005.
Dr. Fred Barker - Neurosurgeon and Dr. Michael McKenna - Neurotologist.

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2006, 07:41:17 am »
For "The Mom's":
I had my orginal tumor removed when I was 23, single and just starting my "adult life" after college. I had been undiagnosed for 4 years and went into what turned out to be a 16 hour surgery with a 50% change of living to get off the OR table and very little education about what may happen if I did survive, I woke up on life support.
I lost my balance, hearing and facial nerves. I looked like I had stroked.
I survived but the years between then and around age 30 were difficult.
I suffer "post traumatic stress disorder" and a chemical depression for which I need medication.
Is it the worst thing that could have ever happen to me? Sometimes I think so, but only sometimes and that is rare.
I have two wonderful children and life is good. Your children will survive, love them, support them and help them as they ask you to and all will turn out the best it can. They will never be the same again, they will be better!(in some respects)
Kathleen
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)

nipanddale

« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2006, 10:17:06 pm »
Good Lord,

I am distraught over my grown husbands struggle, I can't imagine my child. I give all the mothers that have posted here alot of credit. I can't offer you anything but my prayers for successful surgeries, and quick and painless recoveries.

Good Luck!

norma

BTW - Has anyone heard how Chris' surgery turned out? I will go looking on the discussion board for a new post.

nip
3.5cm Diagnosed June 2006 - Removed June 28, 2006
House Ear Clinic - Los Angeles, CA
Surgical Doctors: Brackmann, Hitselberger, Kutz, and Stefan
CFS Leak Doctor: Friedman
Follow-up Doctor: Cullen

Entire tumor removed
Facial nerve intact

Today is a good day!

cookiesecond

« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2006, 10:25:19 pm »
We are all anxiously waiing on news from Chris. I sure hope we hear something soon! I am praying for a speedy recovery!
Lynn