Author Topic: Re: Newbie with some questions **MRI Results**  (Read 5816 times)

Deekon

Re: Newbie with some questions **MRI Results**
« on: January 12, 2011, 04:36:23 pm »
Hi all,

I apologize for my newbie questions but I am being tested for AN in a couple weeks and I am just scared. First off I am not sure if I have AN, I have been dealing with balance issues for a few months and went to a neurotolgist to get vestibular testing and he mentioned it. I have seen 2 ENT's and a neurologist already and none of them mentioned it. I took a hearing test a couple months ago and it showed my left ear at about 15 at 4K, whatever that means. I had an MRI without contrast and a CT for my issues and they were clean. I will have one with contrast in two weeks. Anyway, I don't have any hearing loss and I have slight periodic ringing in my left ear that I have only started noticing in the past couple weeks after a concert I went to. Has it been there all along and I just never noticed, it's possible. My balance issues are random moments of feeling off-balance and sometimes some loss of focus. 98% of the time I feel fine. I have no vertigo, tingling,, numbness etc. I am kind of surprised that this doc thinks I should have another MRI. I know this is a loaded question, but what should symptoms should I look out for and are they 24/7 or debilitating. Right now my symptoms are very mild and sparse and I feel fine.

Thank you for your time and patience, I am just trying to get a handle on all this.

Deekon
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 03:32:25 pm by Deekon »

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
Re: Newbie with some questions
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 04:52:53 pm »
There are lots of reasons to have problems with your balance. The MRI with contrast is the only way to determine if you have an AN. I'll keep my fingers crossed that you have some other condition that is causing this. If you do have an AN, it is "fixable" and you are in the right place for lots of support. You are in my prayers tonight. Good luck.

Deekon

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011, 05:09:41 pm »
Thanks James, this is the first I have heard from all these docs that I might have this so I am kind of freaked out. There is only one way to know and that's to have the MRI which I am in two weeks. So I will allow myself to freak out for about 10 more minutes and then let it go. But thank you for your prayers.

moe

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 07:13:55 pm »
Deekon,
Welcome to the forum :).

I can imagine the anguish of waiting for that second MRI. Your symptoms are mild. Some people have symptoms that slap them in the place, others have slow, barely noticeable symptoms. (mine were slow over many years, and I ignored them.....

It could be a number of things. At least you are on top of it now.

Stay busy, hopefully you have lots to keep you occupied ;)
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2011, 08:44:06 pm »
Welcome, Deekon .....

I also hope you do not have an AN, and as James said there are many things besides an AN that can cause problems with your balance.  However, if you do have one, it is treatable and almost always benign.

Symptoms of having an AN vary greatly depending upon its size and exactly where it is growing.  My first symptom was the balance issue, followed rather quickly by hearing loss on one side only.  Others have facial numbness/tingling or headaches, etc.

Good advice to relax and think about something else until you have the results from the MRI with contrast.

Be sure to let us know what you find out ..... even if it is not an AN.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Mark241

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2011, 08:57:26 pm »
Good luck Deekon! Hoping for a clear scan, and an answer to your issues, hang in there!
4cm C1  16hrs                 Barrows, Jan 06      NF2
3.5 cm  Right AN retro       Barrows, Oct 06   
Cranial Plate removal           UNM Nov 07
LP                                   Barrows  Jan,2011
Wound revision                 Barrows Feb, 2011
5mm left middle Fossa,  (2) 2mm spine w&w

Deekon

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2011, 09:31:28 am »
Thanks Clarice and Mark,

I have two weeks to wait for my MRI so I just have to stay calm about it. Of course last night I had a dream that I had brain surgery. My brain and I really to work together more :) and chill. I will let you all know what happens. I will remain positive until I get the scan, it's not like there is anything I can do until I get it and know for sure. I have been searching around non-stop reading people's stories just to try to convince myself I am ok, but only the scan will tell. It also seems that some people have symptoms and other's don't so it's searching around doesn't really help. I'm going to just keep my head up in the mean time. But thank you all for your support.

Deek

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2011, 02:11:19 pm »
Hi and welcome, Deek ~

Although some of your intermittent symptoms do mimic those of AN patients, as previous posters have stated, these sorts of symptoms, especially when they occur intermittently, can have other causes.  As Clarice ('CHD63') accurately pointed out, the size and location of an acoustic neuroma is a determinant factor in the type, severity and frequency of whatever symptoms you may experience.   As you realize, the upcoming MRI scan with contrast should prove or disprove the existence of an acoustic neuroma as the source of your symptoms.  If there is no AN, your doctor will have to look elsewhere for the source of your symptoms.  However, should the MRI show the presence of an acoustic neuroma, it won't be the end of the world, by any means.  Besides, we'll be here to advise, inform and, most of all, support you.  Meanwhile, as others have suggested, don't allow your fears to cloud your life until the MRI.  In fact, at this point, you may wish to take a brief hiatus from the ANA discussion forums, as a way of decompressing and getting some perspective.  I can guarantee that, should you need us for anything, we'll be here.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Deekon

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2011, 02:31:47 pm »
Thanks Jim, your note was very comforting and you're right I am going to take a break form these forums until I get the MRI. If I have it, then i have it so no sense worrying so much. I also read they are rare so maybe the percentage will fall in my favor. On a tad more humours note (at least to me) my cousin is a doctor and  set me up with a neurotolgist and I told him about the MRI and AN and he said "  Good luck Acoustic neuroma is much better than a real brain tumor or MS" Doctors man I tell ya. I will come back in two weeks and let you know the results. Thank you all for being supportive.

Deekon

suboo73

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2011, 05:29:25 am »
Hi Deekon,

Welcome to the Forum.  Glad you found us!
The MRI with contrast will tell the story and I am glad you have it scheduled.
I dealt with mild symptoms for years and then finally asked for an MRI with contrast after my sister was diagnosed with an AN.
Since I like to have 'information' at least now I know what causes my symptoms.

Please send us an update when you can.
My thoughts and prayers are with you.
Good luck with the MRI!

Sincerely,
Sue
suboo73
Little sister to Bigsister!
9mm X 6mm X 5mm
Misdiagnosed 12+ years?
Diagnosed Sept. 2008/MRI 4/09/MRI 12/09/MRI 1/21/11
Continued W & W

Deekon

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2011, 10:10:01 am »
Hi all,

My scan is tomorrow and I just wanted to thank you all again for the support these two weeks waiting. I have been pretty calm about it and I ready to go in there and see what we have. I will update you all tomorrow after I find out.

Thanks again

Deekon

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2011, 10:29:37 am »
Deekon .....

Many prayers for answers to your symptoms and appropriate treatment options.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

suboo73

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2011, 12:52:31 pm »
Deekon,

Will be thinking of you tomorrow.
Let us know how things turn out with your MRI.

Prayers all around.

Sincerely,
Sue

suboo73
Little sister to Bigsister!
9mm X 6mm X 5mm
Misdiagnosed 12+ years?
Diagnosed Sept. 2008/MRI 4/09/MRI 12/09/MRI 1/21/11
Continued W & W

kenneth_k

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2011, 01:23:32 pm »
Good luck with your MRI.
Hope all goes well and you come out clean.

Best regards, Kenneth

Deekon

Re: Newbie with some questions **MRI Results**
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2011, 03:25:26 pm »
Hi everyone, I just got back from the docs and I am happy to say that everything was clear and I do not have a tumor or MS. Thank you all for being so supportive even though I wasn't diagnosed. You are all such strong, comforting wonderful people. I am happy to have talked with a couple of you and your struggles have been very inspiring to me. I will not forget it and will use it to better my life. I wish you all the best in life and many years of happiness.

Take care

Deekon