Author Topic: 2nd Translab Recovery?  (Read 3585 times)

psmix

2nd Translab Recovery?
« on: January 14, 2011, 05:51:47 pm »
I had large AN debulked via translab in September. Unfortunately, it has grown back quickly so I'm having another translab, hopefully complete resection, in Feb. I'm wondering if I'll have the same recovery issues the second time as I had the first. I had some dizziness and nausea for several days post-op, and a lot of trouble focusing my eyes for several weeks.

Almost four months out, I've adjusted to the deaf ear. I excercise, including yoga, and have been doing some balance exercises that I found on this sight. My balance is pretty good at the moment, not great. I still have some trouble focusing my eyes at the periphery, especially on the tumor side. I'm pretty healthy overall.

I know that some things will be automatic repercussions of the surgery, like the numb head. I understand that other things are unpredictable, like facial weakness. But I'm wondering if the fact that I've already had one translab approach will minimize or eliminate some of the after-effects. For example, will my balance be worse again after the second surgery, or has my brain already rewired for that? Should I expect vision problems again? I'm hoping that I won't experience the dizziness again since the inner ear structures are already gone.

Could anyone who had a second surgery comment on recovery the second time around?
Right AN diagnosed Sept. 2010 - 4 cm x 3 cm x 3 cm
Debulked via translab Sept. 2010
Removed at House Feb. 2011
CSF leak with blind sac closure and lumbar drain March 2011
Unresponsive facial nerve, platinum weight
SSD

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: 2nd Translab Recovery?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2011, 06:12:31 pm »
Pam .....

I guess we all have adapted to being unique, but you certainly went above and beyond ...... do not mean to joke about it but your case seems very different than most.  I am very puzzled as to why radiation was not done to zap the remaining shell after your first translab AN surgery.  But, we cannot dwell on the past but must move forward to the best alternatives now.

So glad you are going to HEI for this second surgery ..... they are extremely experienced in a wide variety of cases.

As for recovery issues the second time around, my guess is you will still have some nausea and dizziness just from the brain being jostled again.  However, hopefully your vestibular function has been taken over by the over side so the lingering balance problems should not be as evident.  I had the double vision after my AN surgery, but not after my first retrosigmoid surgery for trigeminal neuralgia.  Not sure what causes the vision disturbance ..... that would be a good question for your HEI docs.

Some of your questions on the post-op expectations will depend upon where exactly this re-growth happened ..... same direction or new direction.  Probably no one can answer that until they get in there and determine the specific location and type of tumor (e.g. sticky, or not).

Many thoughts and prayers for a successful second surgery.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Cheryl R

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2011, 07:03:47 pm »
Pam,   I have been thru 4 surgeries in 3 head locations locations and every time has been some what of a different feel.     I've never had headaches after any other than the immediate ache which a pain pill relieved.   I've never been dizzy post op but there is always some kind of balance issue which improved in time.  Probably less than the first surgery.        There has always been the tired feel that takes time to recover from.      Maybe less nausea which was never read bad with me.            Wish I had a better answer as it shouldn't be any worse and may be easier this time around.        Having a better idea of what to expect does help some and to know that it does get better in time helps mentally.             Good luck and hope for the best for you!
                                                 Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

psmix

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2011, 09:21:28 pm »
Clarice, Gamma Knife would have most likely been the plan after debulking, but at a 10 week post-op MRI the tumor was already nearly back to the original size. (They only got about half of it during the first surgery.) So, still too big and apparently growing too fast for zapping. It was kind of a shock for everyone.

I know everyone's experience is different. It's helpful to hear what other people have been through. Cheryl, you definitely get extra credit! Thanks for sharing your experience.

Pam
SSD

ilsemor

• 1.4mm, translab at House w/Dr. Slattery 7/6/09
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2011, 06:49:56 pm »
OMG!  Like my kids would say.  God Bless you!  I sincerely hope it all goes well and this is the second and last time you have to go through it!
  I had one translab at House and my fear is re-growth, where did you have the first one done at? 
Who is your doctor at House?

Larry

• Scallywags Rule
    • Chronologer of the PBW
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2011, 07:15:58 pm »
Pam,

You may want to consider radiation treatment instead of surgery again. Translab is meant to be the method that gives the surgeon the best look at the AN. If it wasn't all taken out the first time then you should ask why? and whether that is likely to happen again - maybe the AN is too hard to extract without facial paralysis issues.

You also can watch and wait - that is, if its not bothering you, then don't do anything but that depends on its size and positioning.

Laz
2.0cm AN removed Nov 2002.
Dr Chang St Vincents, Sydney
Australia. Regrowth discovered
Nov 2005. Watch and wait until 2010 when I had radiotherapy. 20% shrinkage and no change since - You beauty
Chronologer of the PBW
http://www.frappr.com/laz

psmix

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2011, 09:17:29 pm »
I had my first translab at Evanston Hospital in Illinois. Because the tumor was large and I already had lost the corneal reflex in my eye, the surgeon and I agreed in advance that he would not try to take the whole thing. He wanted to take every precaution to preserve my facial nerve, so the plan was to debulk and then see - either watch and wait, or gamma knife, or more surgery if needed. (I couldn't understand why I would ever want to do that!) Unfortunately, I never got to choose. The tumor came back so fast that gamma knife is again not an option; the tumor is too big for gamma knife to be effective (about 3.5 - 4 cm.) Now I'm scheduled at House with Drs. Brackmann and Schwartz. Dr. Brackmann is optimistic that they'll be able to get the whole thing, or most of it anyway. If they leave a sliver, they'll probably recommend radiotherapy, due to my history of tumor regrowth.

I talked to several of the best AN doctors in Chicago and all of them, including my original surgeons have been very surprised at how quickly the tumor has grown back. Apparently this is very unusual. I don't think its something that most people should worry about, at least not at this rate.

My biggest worry now is my eye. I didn't really understand initially what the big deal was with the lack of corneal reflex. After learning more on this site about eye issues, now I understand. I know that many of you have also dealt with eye issues following surgery. My tumor is pressing on the trigeminal nerve, and I have transient tingling and numbness across the whole right side of my face pretty much daily. So, I worry that removing the tumor will create even more disruption to the 5th nerve, along with the possibility of other facial issues. I'm optimistic and hoping for the best, while at the same time preparing myself for whatever the outcome might be.
SSD

Larry

• Scallywags Rule
    • Chronologer of the PBW
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2011, 04:16:15 pm »
Pam,

Thats a shocker that the regrowth happenned so fast. You are in good hands at House so fingers crossed that it goes well for you

Laz
2.0cm AN removed Nov 2002.
Dr Chang St Vincents, Sydney
Australia. Regrowth discovered
Nov 2005. Watch and wait until 2010 when I had radiotherapy. 20% shrinkage and no change since - You beauty
Chronologer of the PBW
http://www.frappr.com/laz