Author Topic: Radiation-Gamma Knife  (Read 3552 times)

Gus

Radiation-Gamma Knife
« on: January 24, 2011, 05:28:27 pm »
My AN has grown within 3 months according to the House, so looking at options.
Does anyone know if doing Radiation for a smaller AN results in less side effects.
Mine has gone from 8 x 12 to 10x 14 mm in 3 months, so pretty wierd.
My take aways is it is growing and I'll probably do something within 6 months.

My simplistic view is surgery and loss of balance; radiation and loss of hearing
Facial ususally fairly low on the odds chart according to House (surgery) and U of Pittsburgh (radiation)
I hate to permanently have my balance nerve cut, so looking very had at Radiation.
Surgery or radiation would be done by House or MD Anderson.
Thoughts appreciated.

PS, Jim, thanks for all of your help and thoughts, big help.

Gus
8x 16 mm AN on left side
Diagnosed September 2010
Wait and Watch until MRI showed 2 mm growth in July 2012
Surgery on Aug. 30, 2012 via middle fossa at MD Anderson; results showed the tumor to be a benign meningioma instead of a AC.  Hearing was saved; mild Tinnitus; Feel Very Blessed

TJ

• 1.2 cm AN right side, CK November 2010
Re: Radiation-Gamma Knife
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2011, 05:41:23 pm »
Gus

You are wise by looking at all options.  Since your AN is growing something will need to be done.  It is my understanding that anything less than 2.5cm is a candidate for radiation, weather it be GK or CK so you are still in that window.  Both surgery and radiation have different side effects and it really depends on where the AN is located.  GK is usually one large dose of radiation and CK is usually given in fractionated doses between 3-5 sessions.  I had CK for in November and my AN had grown to 1CM.  I have been fairly lucky with side effects so far.  I have lost a small amount of hearing and have some increased balance issues.

For your sake take the time to do your research and make the decision that best fits you.

TJ

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2011, 09:39:27 pm »
Thought.

Surgery doesn't equal loss of balance.  This is too simplistic.

Surgery may mean compromised balance for a period of time while your body learns to adapt; but permanent loss of balance isn't the norm.

I'm almost 3 1/2 years post op and I haven't had balance issues for at least 2 1/2 years - and probably longer; I can't remember the specific date my balance was back to normal.

Most of us who had surgery are able to do the things we used to do post op - which include running, riding a bicycle, skiing, etc.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

mk

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 10:40:35 am »
It is true that surgery means loss of balance nerve, but not necessarily loss of "balance", since the other side compensates after the nerve is cut. It can be actually much worse to have a partially functioning balance nerve on the AN side, which gives false signals. This can happen with radiation.

Loss of hearing is very common with surgery. You may be able to save hearing with fractionated radiation. Most people view facial nerve conservation as the main issue. The risks to the facial nerve with radiation are very small. Surgery carries a much more substantial risk to the facial nerve, depending also on the size.

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

GM

• I hate annual MRI's !!!
    • My Blog Page
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2011, 05:41:32 pm »
As a raditation patient I can relate to tumor growth after radiation.  Your tumor can grow (well actually swell) for up to two years after treatment.  My swelled from 1.8 cm - 2.1 cm over two years.  It has stayed at 2.1cm since 2005 (thank God for all blessings). 

It is normal for swelling to occur after radiation treatment, hopefully your doc shared that with you...   btw...I personally wouldn't sweat over a few millimeters in a MRI reading.  That could be the difference between docs who read it (error ratio).  Personally, I would wait for growth that is aparent...more than a few millimeters.

Gary
Originally 1.8cm (left ear)...Swelled to 2.1 cm...and holding after GK treatment (Nov 2003)
Gamma Knife University of Virginia  http://www.medicine.virginia.edu/clinical/departments/neurosurgery/gammaknife/home-page
Note: Riverside Hospital in Newport News Virginia now has GK!!

Sefra22

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2011, 08:50:43 pm »
I had GK in 2007, but the time I was treated I had already lost much of my hearing. I did not even realize that my balance was compromised until I was asked to do some simple tests in the Neurosurgeon's office. As it was explained to me by Dr. Noren, the AN itself can cause hearing loss and balance issues, regardless of treatment. I'm sure I couldn't do a somersault on a balance beam, but no one would know to look at me that I have only one functioning vestibular nerve  ;)

Lisa
Lisa from Portland, Maine age 46
Diagnosed June 2006
15mm X 17mm AN right side 80% hearing loss
GK March 14,2007 Dr. Noren, Providence RI
1 Year follow-up MRI shows "slight shrinkage".
2 Year follow-up MRI shows "No Change".
3 Year follow-up MRI "stable".
BAHA surgery 4-22-09 BP100 Sept. 2009