Author Topic: Questions about symptoms  (Read 5287 times)

GallopingSally

Questions about symptoms
« on: January 31, 2011, 08:45:06 am »
Hello....this is Kathleen.  I have my MRI tomorrow (Tuesday)

Both my ENT and Neuro feel that my symptoms are those of an AN.

I have one in particular that is just bizarre. My right ear rings (very high pitched) pretty much 24/7 but often will suddenly feel as if it is full of water.  Have others felt this?  Also, I am interested in any visual disturbances.  Things blur, but more often I feel as if my brain cannot interpret what my eyes see, so things "whoosh" by and make me dizzy.  Anyone else have this?

Thanks,

Kathleen 

kenneth_k

Re: Questions about symptoms
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2011, 09:16:01 am »
A feeling of fullnes in the ear is a common symptom.
Good luck with your MRI.

Kenneth

cin605

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2011, 09:27:09 am »
i have tinitus 24/7....had AN removed 2008.....ringing in the ear very,very loud is what made me go to the ER ...I also side swiped a couple cars....perception was off...dizzy on and off for 10 years.Visual disturbences are a sign also.....I would be sitting in my car at a stop sign and it would feel like i was rolling backwards.....actually did one time.
Best of luck w/ your MRI....HUGS!
Cindy
2cm removed retrosig 6/26/08
DartmouthHitchcock medical center lebanon,N.H.
43yrs old

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2011, 09:29:20 am »
Kathleen .....

Wishing you well on the MRI tomorrow.  (Make sure it was ordered with contrast .....)  ..... and yes, the feeling like your ear is full of water is very common.  When it first happened to me, I kept trying to pull on my earlobe and turn my head down ...... as if I could open it up.  Didn't work!

Be sure to let us know what you find out.

Thoughts and prayers.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

kareno

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2011, 10:49:13 am »
Hi Kathleen:

I am a caregiver and my husband had a 3 cm AN , which was successfully removed 9 months ago. He did experience problems with his vision not his hearing.  He is doing very well at this time.  This is a wonderful caring group of people on this forum who will address any of your questions/concerns. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Karen
Caregiver:  Husband 3.0cm diagnosed 1/10, Retrosigmoid Surgery 4/10 Tufts Medical CTR Boston, Dr. Carl Heilman-Exceptional Surgeon

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2011, 02:53:53 pm »
Your eye problem is common. You have your vestibular system, your muscle system, and your eyes that balance you. All three must match up in your brain. When they don't, you get a balance problem. If you have an AN, your vestibular system is under attack from the tumor, and telling your brain you are not balanced. But, all along, your other vestibular system is saying you are just fine. Your muscles are receiving messages you are not balanced from the brain, but your muscles are sending out messages back to the brain that you are balanced, and your eyes are trying to latch onto something trying to figure out what is really going on. Massive confusion going on in your brain!

This is when I started vomiting all the time. I had surgery 10 months ago, and my eyes still wander around sometimes, but not much. I rely on my eyes BIG TIME to balance. At night I have to have some lights on or a flashlight to walk. I could not drive a car for a while, even in the day. It felt to me that my eyes were spending so much effort to balance me, that they were not really "looking" at things, they were just trying keep me up-right.

Hopefully you don't have an AN, but if you do, you are in the right place. Your brain will begin to adapt to all of the new confusion, and you will on the way to getting back to normal. Good luck to you.

GallopingSally

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2011, 03:44:23 pm »
Thank you all so much for the feedback, especially about the vision symptoms.  It is so disconcerting.

As for my MRI, yes it is with contrast.

Just curious if anyone has had all the AN symptoms but not had an AN.  What other issues could cause similar symptoms?

Kathleen

loose screws (tightened)

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2011, 08:24:09 pm »
Hi Kathleen

I'm sure it has happened, but I doubt you find that information here. Once they got the "all clear" from their doctor they would probably go on with their life and not bother with these forums.

As for other reasons, I was not lucky enough to find out that one. But I'm sure other things could cause similar symptoms.

Best wishes with your MRI
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 08:33:32 pm by loose screws (tightened) »
47 Y/O. diagnosed AN After MRI. 4X5X7mm within the right auditory canal. Slight hearing loss, ringing in ear, vertigo. Middle fossa with House Ear Clinics Dr Brackmann and Dr. Schwartz on 11-16-09. 6 new tightened titanium screws but no more hearing.
http://mikessurgery.blogspot.com/

GallopingSally

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2011, 08:47:53 pm »
I had an MRI today, both with and without contrast.  I see the Neuro tomorrow for results.  All I can say is that the MRI Tech was all happy when I went in and then scooted my Hubby and I out of there with a grim look on his face just as soon as I was done.  Who knows what THAT meant? 

Kathleen

Tod

• My blog (work and life)
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2011, 08:59:10 pm »
Kathleen, it could mean everything and nothing at all. Try not worry about it much tonight.

When I had my MRI, the tech was very grim and told me the radiologist wanted to see me. He then told me he had already called my referring ENT's office, spoken with his partner (this was early morning NYE), and then said, yes, I had a tumor, and my ENT would want to see me Monday. Mine was relatively large.

I wish you well tomorrow and hope the news is good. The tech very easily been the subject of a bad case of intestinal distress.

-Tod

Bob the tumor: 4.4cm x 3.9cm x 4.1 cm.
Trans-Lab and Retro-sigmoid at MCV on 2/12/2010.

Removed 90-95% in a 32 hour surgery. Two weeks in ICU.  SSD Left.

http://randomdatablog.com

BAHA implant 1/25/11.

28 Sessions of FSR @ MCV ended 2/9/12.

opp2

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2011, 08:54:54 am »
I had an MRI today, both with and without contrast.  I see the Neuro tomorrow for results.  All I can say is that the MRI Tech was all happy when I went in and then scooted my Hubby and I out of there with a grim look on his face just as soon as I was done.  Who knows what THAT meant? 

Kathleen

I agree, you can't read anything into the technician's response. It could be that they just got their hydro bill and are trying to figure out how to pay the fees.....There hasn't been one MRI tech yet who has let on a thing. Most of the time I knew I had a toomah but they wouldn't give a bit on what they saw....

Hang in there..know we are there for you if it is an or not.
Diagn Apr 14 2009 with 2.5 cm lt AN. - numbness in the face and sudden onset headaches accompanied by balance issues. Consults with Drs in S Ontario, California (House) and Vancouver. Picked Dr. Akagami in BC.
Retrosigmoid July 6, 2010, 3.0cm by then. SSD left, no other significant side effects.

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2011, 09:35:13 am »
It probably does not mean anything. The MRI is digital, and my guess is that the tech never bothers to look at it. Some little gizzmo tells him the exam is done, and he forwards the info to the  doctor. Look at this as a step forward in finding out what is going on to cause your current problems. You are on the way to getting better. Thank goodness for technology and highly trained medical professionals.

Deekon

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2011, 12:27:34 pm »
Hi Sally,

I was lucky enough to get an all clear and the tech is trained not to give you results or any inclination to the results. I hope everything turns out ok for you.

Deekon

GallopingSally

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2011, 09:46:04 pm »
I saw my neuro today - happy to report that my MRI is perfectly normal :)  This is the 2nd time in 7 years that I have been told that I likely have an AN yet do not.  MS was also ruled out, which is great.

At this point my Neuro has asked that I try a month of Verapamil, which is used to treat migraines.  She describes my symptoms (visual disturbances, vertigo, tinnitus, fullness in ear) as stray activity in my brain.  My ENT still thinks it could be vestibular Meniere's.  If the Verapamil works it will pretty much indicate that this is a brain issue rather than an ear issue.

Thanks everyone for your input.  I truly feel for those who have AN.  Best to all of you!

Kathleen   

Tod

• My blog (work and life)
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2011, 09:57:54 pm »
Great news, Kathleen! Thanks for letting us know.

Good luck with the Verapamil.

-Tod
Bob the tumor: 4.4cm x 3.9cm x 4.1 cm.
Trans-Lab and Retro-sigmoid at MCV on 2/12/2010.

Removed 90-95% in a 32 hour surgery. Two weeks in ICU.  SSD Left.

http://randomdatablog.com

BAHA implant 1/25/11.

28 Sessions of FSR @ MCV ended 2/9/12.