Author Topic: the '"good type of brain tumor"  (Read 7181 times)

elderbirds

the '"good type of brain tumor"
« on: February 01, 2011, 09:41:05 pm »
We just lost my mother-in-law to a grade IV Glioblastoma (the worst type of brain tumor), 3 weeks after her MRI and diagnosis.  She had minimal symptoms.  It finally clicked why the MD's were so "happy" to diagnose me with an AN "the good type" of brain tumor.  Ironically she got her MRI results 3 years to the day that I received mine.  She was so instrumental in my recovery (running my household while I could barely walk straight).  I only wished I had the chance to reciprocate the care.  RIP dear sweet Ellie.
Hope

Jill Marie

Re: the '"good type of brain tumor"
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 10:00:17 pm »
Hope,  I'm sure she's looking down upon you right now, smiling, glad that she was there to help you out when you needed her most.  Jill
Facial Nerve Neuroma removed 6/15/92 by Dr. Charles Mangham, Seattle Ear Clinic. Deaf/left ear, left eye doesn't water.

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 11:00:02 pm »
Hope,

I am so sorry for your loss.  I've had a few lately, I feel your sorrow.

Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

Keri

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 11:04:55 pm »
I'm so sorry for you and your family too, Hope.

Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 05:43:36 am »
Hope,

What a terrific name to have in such a sad time. My deepest condolences to you all during this most difficult time.  Ellie is looking down on you, knowing there is "hope" to help bring brighter days forthcoming.

My deepest sympathies to you, your family and all of Ellie's loved ones.
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Kaybo

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2011, 07:19:21 am »
Hope~
I'm so sorry to read of your loss - I know you feel it in so many ways.  Sounds like she was a wonderful woman - I am lucky to be blessed by a MIL that I can learn so much from too!!  Cherish your memories of times spent with her...

Peace & Prayers to you during this time,
K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2011, 08:28:31 am »
Hope -

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss.  As others have said, Ellie sounds like a wonderful woman.

Prayers and hugs to you and yours,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

opp2

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2011, 09:01:18 am »
Peace be yours , Accept the things we can not change, and have the strength to appreciate the gifts we are given...
Diagn Apr 14 2009 with 2.5 cm lt AN. - numbness in the face and sudden onset headaches accompanied by balance issues. Consults with Drs in S Ontario, California (House) and Vancouver. Picked Dr. Akagami in BC.
Retrosigmoid July 6, 2010, 3.0cm by then. SSD left, no other significant side effects.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2011, 09:19:16 am »
Hope .....

So sorry for your loss.  May you find comfort in your wonderful memories of her.

Many thoughts and prayers.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2011, 03:56:05 pm »
Hope ~

I read your post with sorrow and I understand the irony you noted.  My condolences on the death of your mother-in-law, who obviously was a big help to you in your time of need.    

Jim
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 03:05:19 pm by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

lori67

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2011, 04:40:40 pm »
Hope,

I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your mother-in-law.

I lost a friend to Glioblastoma and totally agree that an AN is the best type of brain tumor to have if you have to have one.

It sounds like you have many great memories of her to keep her with you in your heart.

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2011, 06:49:36 pm »
I lost my MIL to the same thing, only to be diagnosed w/a brain tumor two months after her funeral.  Gave the family quite a scare, but as you said, mine was the "good kind.'"  My heart goes out to your for your loss as I know the pain of having a loved one go through that.  Peace and strength be with you!

Priscilla
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2011, 10:53:44 pm »
Isn't that the same kind of tumor that Ted Kennedy had? I remember we had surgery on the same day. He was sailing the weekend after, while I was still struggling to stand.

Hope, I am so sorry for your loss. It sounds like Ellie provided many loving memories to sustain you and your family.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

suboo73

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2011, 06:02:08 am »
Hope,

I am so sorry for your loss.
Ellie sounds like she was a wonderful person.

Many thoughts and prayers during this time.

Sincerely,
Sue
suboo73
Little sister to Bigsister!
9mm X 6mm X 5mm
Misdiagnosed 12+ years?
Diagnosed Sept. 2008/MRI 4/09/MRI 12/09/MRI 1/21/11
Continued W & W

elderbirds

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2011, 08:15:16 pm »
Thanks again to everyone for your support and prayers.  Yes, I know Ellie is watching over us and will live on in our hearts and memories.  Yes Sarah, that was the same type Ted Kennedy was diagnosed with.  Hers was quite large and considered inoperable.  she never made it out of the hospital following a biopsy.  Thankfully she did not suffer, and left this earth graciously as she would have wished to.  I've heard of so many losses this short year already.  Hoping things turn around soon, for those of us who have gotten off to a rough start.
Hope