Author Topic: 5 weeks post op  (Read 2447 times)

fav

5 weeks post op
« on: February 02, 2011, 01:05:09 pm »
( Continued thread from Pre Op )
hello,
thank you all for your kind words.
surgery was a success in the fact that they got all the tumor, zero facial numbness or paralysis, no headaches or dizziness.
however, about two weeks post op developed a different type of CSF leak.
no dripping from the nose, ear or wound... instead a lump on the side of my head where in incision is.
its been four weeks and size fluctuates down and up.
my surgeon says it will most likely go away on its own but has given me options; give it time, shunt, or a patch job with glue.
thoughts?
best  ....dan

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: 5 weeks post op
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 03:32:15 pm »
Dan ~

Congratulations on a successful AN surgery.  I trust that the potential incision leak will subside but if not, the doctor will likely want to re-open the incision, clean it, pack it and sew it up again, to seal off any possible leakage.  This will be his call and, if it becomes necessary, I would advise trusting his judgment and following his advice to prevent any future problems with the incision site. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

yosemitesam

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2011, 06:49:49 pm »
Hi,
This happened to me as well. I developed another leak and the docs went in to try to get it stopped.
The swelling never went down and we installed a shunt. Its been about 6 weeks now and is all is well. The shunt surgery only lasted a couple of hours
and one day in the hospital. Good luck.....
3 surgery girl
multiple CSF leaks
Emory Hospital

fav

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2011, 09:36:16 am »
hi YS
thanks for the response.
is the shunt permanent?
best  ....dan

JAndrews

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2011, 06:53:45 pm »
a friend of mine ended up with a shunt also. He has had it about 3 years now and he is fine. Hes still not sure if its permanant.
2.5cm x2.0cm cerebellapontine angle meningioma. 100% removal 2/2009. House Ear Institute. Dr Brackmann and Dr. Schwartz. SSD right ear. No balance problems except when really tired, no headaches. Transear hearing aide made no difference, tried it for 4 months.