Author Topic: How soon can you fly?  (Read 3685 times)

kkl

How soon can you fly?
« on: February 06, 2011, 07:31:35 am »
Dear all,

Does anyone know how soon after microsurgery can you fly on a plane?  And is there anything to be careful of?  I did mine 7 weeks ago and the surgeon thinks it's ok but wanna hear from others, too.  I did my surgery outside of the country where I reside in and in order to go home, I need to fly about 2 hours.

Any comments/inputs are welcome.

Thanks,

Konnie

MARAKI

Re: How soon can you fly?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011, 11:11:37 am »
Hi Konnie I was operated before 11 months in Italy but I live in Greece. So after the surgery I was in hospital for 10 days and when I left hospital I traveled by plane. The doctors told me that it was safe. It was very difficult because I was tired, my head was very heavy but I didn't have any problem. The flight was 2 hours too.
Also becuse my head was tied and my eye was closed the doctors gave me a wriiten insurance that I was able to travel in order not to have problem as sometimes the air companies ask for something similar.
Of course I don;t know your situation but I believe that there is not reason to worry as your doctor agree too.
Maria

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2011, 11:15:43 am »
Konnie -

that all depends on your doctor.  My surgery was on 5/31 and my doc allowed me to fly on 8/3 from Chicago to Denver. 

I think his rule is 8 weeks, but other doctors have different rules.

Those who have surgery @ HEI in Los Angeles are able to fly much sooner; I think 10 days post op?

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

JerseyGirl2

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2011, 01:38:36 pm »
Those who have surgery @ HEI in Los Angeles are able to fly much sooner; I think 10 days post op?

That's correct. Standard time to fly after surgery at House is 10 days post-op .... but of course if you're not ready they'll keep you longer. When I was there several people were released a couple of days early to fly. I flew back home cross-country at 10 days post-op and did just fine.

Catherine (JerseyGirl2)
Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

JAndrews

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2011, 06:49:02 pm »
10 days post op for me. I was able to fly 6 hours..CA to FL. No problem, but I was very tired and my head felt heavy.
2.5cm x2.0cm cerebellapontine angle meningioma. 100% removal 2/2009. House Ear Institute. Dr Brackmann and Dr. Schwartz. SSD right ear. No balance problems except when really tired, no headaches. Transear hearing aide made no difference, tried it for 4 months.

cindyj

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2011, 07:46:32 pm »
Me, too...CA back to GA about 10 days post op - no problems at all! 

cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings