Author Topic: Back to Kindergarten  (Read 3032 times)

kraynok2

Back to Kindergarten
« on: February 07, 2011, 08:33:35 pm »
Hi everyone.  I have not been on here much lately, as I started back to school two weeks ago, mornings only.  The kids kept asking when would I be there all day.  That made me feel good.  I could get used to working only mornings!  :D  It was nice to come home at noon, eat, take a nap, then do some school work.  It was so much easier than full time.  Last week I started back to full days in my kindergarten.  I did luck out on Monday since we had a day off due to water problems.  Still, the 4 days did tire me out.  I was not sleeping well all week (you know those nights you wake up every hour or two) and by Thursday I was soooooooooooo tired.  And I think I had a slight bug.  I had evening bus duty on Thursday and the air was bone chilling.  Besides feeling exhausted and chilled, my head was spinning, my stomach hurt and my legs were aching.  I still did not feel the best on Friday, but went to work and it was not too bad.  I thought maybe I should have done one more week of mornings only.  I couldn't wait until Saturday to sleep in!! Hopefully this week won't be as exhausting. I hope to keep up with the forum, but with tons of school work, it may be hard.  I'm going to try to do marathon planning for a month and thereby maybe have some actual free time.  By the way, I registered for the symposium in June and hope to meet some of you there.  Time to log off--the eyes don't want to stay open.  Sandy

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Back to Kindergarten
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2011, 09:32:45 pm »
Sandy .....

I've thought about you so much and wondered how things were going for you, back with the 5 year olds!  Do not be too hard on yourself.  I think anyone would be tired after working with 5-year-olds all day, especially after several weeks away from the full-time responsibility.

Sure hope this week goes better ..... and I am sure it will, as you adjust to each new environment.  Just the SSD hearing element alone is a big adjustment.  You probably need to schedule a nap into your routine as soon as school is out each day, before trying to catch up on planning/preparation for the next things.

So glad you are going to the Symposium!

Remember to listen to your body and rest, rest, work, rest, rest, work, etc.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Jeanlea

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2011, 09:33:16 pm »
Sandy,
Glad to hear that you are back in the classroom.  I've spent a couple of years teaching the kinders.  It's a fun age, but I wanted to do some things at a slightly higher level so I went back to fourth grade. It sounds like you might have been a bit sick.  That would also really add to your tiredness.  I'm five years out from surgery and not usually tired.  But these past few weeks have been tiring for me, too.  I think it's all the cold weather and I'm busy with several projects. Hope you find some time to get rested.  
If you haven't used up all of your sick days, here's an interesting idea that I heard about.  A new mom is taking her maternity leave this way.  Each week she takes Friday off.  This will get her through most of the year.  I'm thinking that she will have a consistent sub for those Fridays. I thought that was a great idea.

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

lori67

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2011, 07:16:40 am »
Just thinking about being in a classroom of 5 year olds all day is enough to make me exhausted! 

That's great that you're able to be back full time.  I'm sure, aside from the fatigue, it has to make you feel pretty good to know you can do it.  And I'm sure those little ones missed you - they sure do get attached to their Kindergarten teacher, don't they?  So cute.

I hope you have plenty of time to recharge over the weekends and I'm sure it will get better as time goes on.

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 03:05:05 am »
God Bless You....I couldn't be a teacher of any kind and I certainly could not have faced a class of 5 years olds post-op!
Hope it gets better each week.
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2011, 08:00:26 am »
You DO have to manage your energy reserves very carefully and take those naps as soon as you come in!  I would also make sure I was limiting other outside activities until you are feeling stronger.  I went back into a classroom of 4/5th graders, but they were really good about not taxing me.  Kindergarten?  Oh my!!!  :o :o  Sleep every chance you get and take industrial strength vitamins.  ;) ;) ;)
Priscilla
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

Keeping Up

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2011, 10:20:28 pm »
Yikes, I have one five year old.  While everyone asks me how I manage with four young children, I can't even imagine the routine of a classroom full of five year olds!

Hope the planning marathon worked out, free time is nice.

Ann

dx Dec/08 - 5mm x 8mm AN
'watch and wait'