Author Topic: MRI Tuesday  (Read 9131 times)

nancyp0913

MRI Tuesday
« on: February 20, 2011, 11:38:27 pm »
Hi all!  I've been reading and reading in these forums....  Lots of great information and support.  I thought I'd weigh in.

I finally went to the ENT.  Have had right ear hearing loss for a few years (2 or 3?) that I attributed to sinus infections and a perforated eardrum associated with one.  About 4 months ago, I was blessed with nasty tinnitus in that ear (wakes me every hour through the night). I have had the fullness feeling in my ear.  I've had a couple instances of balance issues/vertigo.  One was when lying in bed, the room was spinning one way for awhile, then it changed directions... it was bizarre!  I've had issues with Wii Fit.... there's no way I can stand on one foot!  I always say there's no way I'd pass a field sobriety test.  The most concerning balance issue is when I have a full laundry basket (so hands are full and can't see the stairs) I have to actually lean on the hand rail and step-by-step, inch my way down the stairs.  This is VERY spooky!!  No basket, no problems... but I always hold on, now.  Just this week, I've started to have some major pain in my ear... kind of a full ache.  I am scheduled for MRI (with Gad) on Tuesday and won't get my results until Friday.  I'm very anxious and can't stand the wait. The audiogram from my ENT visit looks just like the ones I've found online that indicate AN.  I'm afraid it's an AN.  At the same time, at least if it is, then there is a course of action.  If it's not... then what?  I'm also concerned about the long-term affects of this that most people on the forums seem to have.  I think that scares me even more then the potential surgery...  Sorry so long.  I appreciate a place to vent.  My husband hasn't even acknowledged that I'm going for an MRI.... He says nothing and just changes the subject... doesn't want to think about it, I'm sure. I realize none of you are doctors, but I'm wondering if you had these symptoms if you'd suspect AN? Also.... MRI.... I'm a tad claustrophobic...  any hints on how to relax for the period of the MRI?  Thanks in advance.  Hopefully, I won't need to join your "club" here, but I don't have a good feeling about any of this!

Nancy

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: MRI Tuesday
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 09:44:55 am »
Hi Nancy .....

Glad you weighed in on this forum.  Yes, your symptoms do sound similar to those with ANs.  However, try to relax until you have the results from the MRI because the symptoms can also indicate other things.  Be sure your MRI is with contrast, when you go.  There was a mix-up on the order for my first one and it was done without contrast ..... no AN noted.

Although I would not advise it, at most imaging facilities you can get your own copy of the MRI and a report within 24-48 hours.  I do this all of the time now with post-op MRIs, but sometimes it can backfire when you do not know what you are reading and/or looking at on the MRI ...... and can worry needlessly.  If you do this, keep in mind there are all kinds of non-symmetrical blips and blops on an MRI that are perfectly normal.  A large AN will show up like a big white blob on one side only.  It is really best to wait for a doctor to explain it.  I only mentioned it because you seemed anxious about the wait to find out ..... an absolutely normal reaction!

I am also a tad claustrophobic.  Some of the newer machines are shorter, which I'm sure would help.  I have always been in the long type.  After many, many MRIs, I have learned to close my eyes before they slide me back in and do not open them until I come out ..... that helps.  If you are very uneasy about this, ask your doctor for something to take just before to keep you more calm.  I know some people have taken Ativan.  I have not.

Be sure to let us know the results and ask any more questions you may have.  We are here for you whether you have an AN or not!

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Mark241

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2011, 12:20:05 pm »
Hi Nancy, I have spent over 30 hours total in the "Tube", my advice is to ask for a wash cloth be placed over your forehead and covering your eyes' a little. I also take this time to reflect and to be thankful for everything I have been blessed with. Try not to sleep, Ha Ha, I did once and moved to much and had to repeat the sequence, not fun. Either way, I hope everything turns out fine. And all the loud noises you will hear are annoying but normal.
Mark 
4cm C1  16hrs                 Barrows, Jan 06      NF2
3.5 cm  Right AN retro       Barrows, Oct 06   
Cranial Plate removal           UNM Nov 07
LP                                   Barrows  Jan,2011
Wound revision                 Barrows Feb, 2011
5mm left middle Fossa,  (2) 2mm spine w&w

rupert

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2011, 02:49:40 pm »

Hello Nancy,

AN's are a pretty rare occurrence.   I had most of these symptoms at on time or another and when I run in to people with these symptoms,  because
of my situation  (AN),   I advise them to get it checked out.   None have yet to have an AN.   At this point just taking  one step at a time  would be prudent.
First,  concentrate on the MRI  and try not to think of the other stuff.  Then move on to the second step.   Trying to take in all of the possabilities out there
will only  wear you down.      As far as going in the tube the best advise I can give you there is to keep your eyes closed and relax.  It helps a lot of people doing this.
I tend to slightly medicate myself beforehand.   I had a mirror on my last MRI  and you could see what was going on outside the tube.  I was able to open my eyes
and didn't have a problem.   They will ask you if your claustrophobic,   don't feel bad about telling them.  They are there to help.   Good luck.   Bryan.

nancyp0913

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2011, 11:10:19 pm »
Thanks, Clarice, Mark, and Bryon!!  I appreciate the info, suggestions, and words of support!!!  I can't wait until the MRI's over tomorrow, and then I have the results on Friday. Friday can't come too soon.... one way or the other!! This has me tied in knots!!!  Scares me to death!!!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2011, 05:12:28 pm »
Hi, Nancy - and a slightly belated welcome to the ANA discussion forums.

I'm going to assume that you got through the MRI O.K. and are awaiting the results from your doctor.  If you could obtain a written analysis of the MRI scan (from the radiologist) it will probably state whether or not an AN was observed on the MRI scan.  Otherwise, wait until Friday (try to keep busy) and know that your doctor will give you a professional medical opinion that you can use to decide your next move.  If the MRI scan indicates an acoustic neuroma, you'll probably have some options, depending on the size, shape and exact location of the tumor.  If no AN is present, you'll likely be advised by your doctor to undergo other tests that will be used to locate the source of your AN-like symptoms. 

I have to mention that over the almost 5 years I've been a member of these discussion forums, I've seen folks posting with symptoms that clearly seem to indicate an acoustic neuroma, only to have the MRI scan show nothing at all.  To most of them, this is a 'good news/bad news' situation as they are relieved to not have an acoustic neuroma but frustrated to not know what is causing their symptoms and now facing more tests.  I can understand your anxiety (been there, done that) and can only add that whatever the results of the MRI, you'll have our support for whatever direction you choose from that point on, AN or no AN.

Jim   
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

nancyp0913

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2011, 08:45:51 pm »
Well... back from the MRI... Tough time breathing and not panicking in there!!  Got a CD of the scans.  Of course it requires a Windoze machine and I have a Mac.  Took it to Kinko's to use their computer.  For the most part, I don't know what I'm looking at.  However, there was one whole series that looks suspect to me.  Matter of fact it looks a lot like a photo of an AN on the right side (like mine would be) that I found on the internet for comparison.  The comparison is scary!!  I put my scan side by side with the internet one and made a jpg of it.  If anyone would be interested in looking at it, I'd love your opinion (can I post it here?)... realizing that you are not doctors!!  I can go tomorrow and get a copy of the radiologist's report.   Then... ENT for official results on Friday.  For some reason I feel better following the MRI... even though I see "something."  For some reason I feel more at peace.... who knows why! I guess I just want to know... either way.  :-\

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2011, 10:24:50 pm »
Nancy .....

I almost hate to tell you this, but my left side AN showed up on the right side of the MRI images, because the image is taken from the front.  I think this is standard with MRIs, but I could be wrong.  Remember, there are all kinds of blips and blops that are not symmetrical and still normal on MRI images.  You still may have an AN, but it may not be the spot you are seeing.

Pick up the report tomorrow, if you really want to know before seeing your doctor.

I can perfectly understand the feeling of being at peace, just knowing what you are dealing with.

Let us know what you find out for sure.

Clarice

nancyp0913

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2011, 12:57:07 am »
Thanks, Clarice!  The blip I'm looking at is on the left as I face the scan image.... I figured out that it was taken from the front.  So the blip coincides with my right, problematic ear.  I AM hoping that I get the radiologist's report tomorrow.  I figure if I kinda already know then, that takes away the "shock" at the ENT's office on Friday, and then maybe I can ask more intelligent questions and make the time more productive then if I were shell-shocked instead.  Of course, I'm still hoping for NO AN, but I'm prepared if that's not the way it goes.  I'll let you know!!  Thanks, again! Time to get the sleep I didn't get last night, worrying about the MRI!!

nancyp0913

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2011, 01:33:02 pm »
I got the radiology report. Good news!!

Findings:

1) No evidence for and acoustic neuroma

2) Mild, age-appropriate periventricular white matter diseas.  This is most commonly seen with chronic ischemic small-vessel disease (whatever that means!)

3) Mild inferior left maxillary sinus disease (also, whatever that means!!)

Phew!!!!   Now we just need to figure out why I have severe hearing loss and tinnitus in my right ear and some balance issues.  I still have my "official" results appointment with the ENT on Friday.

Thanks for your support and concern!!  I DO appreciate it.  You're a great group...  I'm sorry (not) to say that it looks like I'm not part of this club.  I wish you all well!!

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2011, 01:58:11 pm »
Well, Nancy ..... as Jim said you are in a good news/bad news situation ..... good that you do not have an AN, bad that you still do not know what is the cause for your hearing loss.  Hopefully your ENT will be able to uncover the cause and you can find relief from your symptoms.

Stick around long enough to let us know what the ENT says.  Many people do as you did, and check out this forum before diagnosis.  Your information could prove very helpful to others in your same situation.

Many thoughts and prayers that you will find answers and relief.

Clarice

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2011, 03:43:13 pm »
Nancy ~

Congratulations are in order for the MRI showing no evidence of an acoustic neuroma!  As I mentioned in my earlier post, this happens, occasionally.  However, your doctor will likely want you to undergo more testing to help find the source of your symptoms.  I'm confident that you'll be successful and that your symptoms can be alleviated.  Please let us know how it all works out.  Thanks.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Mark241

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2011, 04:42:47 pm »
Great Nancy! Hope you find some relief for your symptoms, Best of Luck!
4cm C1  16hrs                 Barrows, Jan 06      NF2
3.5 cm  Right AN retro       Barrows, Oct 06   
Cranial Plate removal           UNM Nov 07
LP                                   Barrows  Jan,2011
Wound revision                 Barrows Feb, 2011
5mm left middle Fossa,  (2) 2mm spine w&w

sunfish

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2011, 08:49:07 am »
There are lots and lots of other conditions this could be.  Of course, you probably know that by now.  A couple websites that helped me greatly in the diagnostic phase:

www.vestibular.org

www.dizziness-and-balance.com

Best wishes, and God bless you on your journey!
Rt. side 14mm x 11mm near brain stem
Severe higher frequency hearing loss
I use a hearing aid (Dot 20 by Resound)
Balance issues improving!!!!
Cyberknife March17, 2010
Roper Hospital Cancer Center, Charleston, SC

nancyp0913

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2011, 09:46:11 pm »
Well, I went back to the ENT.  Of course, he told me I had no tumor and that my brain looked exactly as it should.  So, now we see to be in the test and see mode.  I go back on Wednesday for and ECOG test.  Of course I came home and looked that up to see what the test entailed and what it might be testing for.  I see it is to test for Hydrops  with or without Meneire's Disease.  I don't really understand why we're going that direction, as the key symptoms for these are fluctuating low frequency hearing loss (I have static high frequency hearing loss), fluctuating tinnitus (mine is static), fluctuating pressure/fullness (my pressure fluctuates, but my ear always feels like it's stuffed with cotton, and finally fluctuating vertigo attacks (I have some occasions of unsteadiness... no real vertigo).  I see you can hydrops alone without the vertigo... but the "fluctuating" issues and the high vs low frequency hearing loss doesn't seem to fit.  Yet... so far I see nothing else that fits.  Just a little frustrating!! Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?