Author Topic: Most recent follow up with Neurosurgeon and Endocrinologist  (Read 2570 times)

lauralynn

Most recent follow up with Neurosurgeon and Endocrinologist
« on: February 24, 2011, 10:17:34 am »
Hello AN Family,

I wanted to give those of you who have been following me an update on things.  I saw the Endocrinologist this week to go over my blood work results.  As I assumed they would, the results all came back normal.  Same with the blood work that my pcp did.  I saw my Neurosurgeon yesterday and he put me on disability through my work and prescribed Cymbalta.  He told me it would help me with my pain and with my fatigue.  I was anxious to start taking it, though I know it can take a couple weeks to feel the effects.  Well, I went to the pharmacy to get it filled and my insurance won't cover it.  They wouldn't cover Provigil either and he prescribed that initially.  So now I'm off of work but still wondering what is going to help me with this pain and fatigue.  At least I am at home and can deal with the pain in the comfort of my home rather than dealing with it at work.  I will be making phone calls today about the Cymbalta.   My neurosurgeon's first choice of medication was to take Provigil, now Cymbalta...just seems like the further down the line of medications we go the less effective they will be...I don't know, just what I'm thinking at this point.  Just want some relief so I can enjoy life again.  Will give updates as they come.

God Bless,

Laura Lynn
4 cm left AN/diagnosed 1/23/09
Translab 4/14/09
Cyberknife 7/09
Gold weight implant 8/09
Barrow Neurological Institute, Phoenix
Dr. Syms and Dr. Porter
Balance issues, 100% hearingl loss (left ear), tinnitus, facial numbness/pain,
chronic fatigue, weakness, eye issues

God Bless everyone

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
Re: Most recent follow up with Neurosurgeon and Endocrinologist
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 11:56:27 am »
Health insurance restrictions make me crazy!!  If the dr says this is the best Rx for you then they should pay for it.  It makes me furious  >:( that they dictate what you can take.   Those meds can be very expensive for the average person to afford.  I hope you get some resolution to this.   

Sue in Vancouver USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 01:50:54 pm »
Laura Lynn ~

I'm glad your tests came back with 'normal' readings but sorry your doctor cannot seem to discover the source of your pain and fatigue.  At least you can take some solace in the fact that your neurosurgeons disability authorization has lifted the burden of facing a work environment every day as you deal with these issues.  That your medical insurance doesn't cover the drug you've been prescribed is definitely frustrating.  Unfortunately, I suspect the medical insurance situation may soon become worse for just about everyone.  Please know that you're in the thoughts and prayers of many, Laura Lynn and we all want you to be able to enjoy life again, as soon as possible. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Suu

• Better out than in.
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2011, 11:20:19 pm »
Hiya Laura Lynn
I followed the past posts that you made in January and feel so sorry that you still haven't found a 'cure' for your fatigue.
I've been taking Lorazepam for nearly a month and it has given me some help to be able to do a few things before the tiredness and tinnitus gets to me again.
This pill seems to work the same as the one you were scripted for (cymbalta) so maybe Lorazepam (also sold generically as Ativan) could be of help?  If you ask for the 'generic' equivalent over there you may find it's covered by your fund.  I have all crossed for you.

Lovenhugs,
(¯`v´¯)
`•.¸.•´
¸.•´¸.•´¨) ¸.•¨)
(¸.•´               Suu
4cm Left side AN Translab August 18th 2010
Facial nerve not working
Nerve conduction Jan '11 Repeated 23rd May '11
SSD left side
5 ops in 6 weeks to fix CSF leaks
Tarsorrhaphy 9 Mar '11 Extended 26 Aug '13
Sling Thur 16 June '11
12/7 nerve graft 9 Feb '12

suboo73

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2011, 04:53:21 am »
Hi Laura Lynn,

I am following your updates with much interest, hoping that you find some relief from your pain and exhaustion.
I was so glad to hear you have a break from work - i remember working in a call center and being pregnant...that type of work can be VERY stressful, and I asked to be on 'desk duty' near the end of my pregnancy, so I didn't have to answer direct phone calls.

Anyway, I am sorry that there seems to be roadblocks with getting the medicine you need. 
It frustrates me that some good medicines are out there, but you cannot get access to them.
Keep researching and see if you can find some medicine for relief - then maybe you can tackle some of the other post-op issues.

My thoughts and prayers continue with you.
Sincerely,
Sue
suboo73
Little sister to Bigsister!
9mm X 6mm X 5mm
Misdiagnosed 12+ years?
Diagnosed Sept. 2008/MRI 4/09/MRI 12/09/MRI 1/21/11
Continued W & W